PDA

View Full Version : WHAT is the NEW CARTHAY THEATRE going to HOUSE in DCA?

MadasaHatter
11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
I have been giddy looking over all of the new designs on line and at the BLUE SKY CELLAR at DCA but I have heard maybe wisps of rumors that there will be anything actually INSIDE of this structure. It seems like to me it should house the current ANIMATION building stuff (turtle talk, how to draw a disney character etc.) or maybe a "show" like GREAT MOMENTS WITH MR. DISNEY. would that be creepy. What do people know about this if anything? Just curious.

olegc
11-03-2010, 09:48 PM
this is from another site (http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/138392-disney-california-adventure-project-tracker-x.html)
Carthay Theatre / Walt Disney Story

Details: The Walt Disney Story attraction is reportedly cancelled. Carthay Theatre building will be built, however, and is scheduled to house a relocated Resort Preview Center.
Project Status: To begin 2010
Open Date: By spring/summer 2012
note - it says reported. Nothing has been announced officially yet I believe.

so - I am a bit bummed. We have Blue Sky Cellar (unless that's going away). Reminds me of what Showcase used to be on Main St.

dznyphreak
11-03-2010, 10:57 PM
I heard they're putting in a loop...

;)

jcruise86
11-04-2010, 09:57 AM
The Lucas and Disney organizations are combining what they each do best and will present a state of the art, audio-animatronic spectacular that will be beyond the imagination:

Hip Hop Mickey
&
Jar Jar Binks
in:

Gangstravaganza!

Mickey will represent the Crips and Jar Jar, the Bloods.
Together they will demonstrate that as long as rap is alive, we can all just get along! :cool: :D

shna
11-04-2010, 05:11 PM
:|

Was that particularly tasteless (and perhaps racist), or am I just getting cranky in my old age?

ChrisGlass
11-04-2010, 09:57 PM

Was that particularly tasteless (and perhaps racist), or am I just getting cranky in my old age?

Well, considering some consider the existence of Jar Jar Binks as a racist puppet and the whole new dance thingie in DCA is, as well, I think it's just HIGHLIGHTING the racism, rather than being racist in itself.

But one could argue that hip hop music has transcended black culture long ago and is no longer "a black thing."

jcruise86
11-04-2010, 10:16 PM

I intended to poke fun at Lucas' team for presenting the animated Jar Jar as it did
and at Disney for trying too hard to make Mickey cool.
Sorry if I offended you, shna.

jcruise86
11-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Well, considering some consider the existence of Jar Jar Binks as a racist puppet and the whole new dance thingie in DCA is, as well, I think it's just HIGHLIGHTING the racism, rather than being racist in itself.

But one could argue that hip hop music has transcended black culture long ago and is no longer "a black thing."
Thanks, ChrisGlass!

jcruise86
11-04-2010, 11:20 PM
I intended to poke fun at . . . Disney for trying too hard to make Mickey cool. . . [/B]
I was thinking of the new show in DCA with hip hop Mickey.

jcruise86
11-04-2010, 11:36 PM

Was that [. . . ] racist), or am I just getting cranky in my old age?
On second thought, publicly calling someone a racist is serious.
You did that to me (despite the question mark and your old-age excuse),
though I didn't do that to Lucas or to Disney.
I don't want an apology from you unless it is as public as your accusation.

shna
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
On second thought, publicly calling someone a racist is serious.
You did that to me (despite the question mark and your old-age excuse),
though I didn't do that to Lucas or to Disney.
I don't want an apology from you unless it is as public as your accusation.[/FONT][/SIZE]

No apology here.

I think the Hip Hop Mickey in the new dance show is cute. Hip hop has nothing to do with race & knows no racial boundaries. I don't really think Jar Jar has anything to do with race, either -- "annoying" knows no racial boundaries.

Comparing Jar Jar and Mickey to generic gang members is borderline -- but when you specifically call out specific gangs made predominantly of African-American members and imply that Jar Jar and Hip Hop Mickey are on the same level with violent African-American criminals because of either the possibly racial dialect used or because of the music they enjoy, yes -- your comments came across as racist.

I have no idea whether you are a racist or not. I mentioned that the comment you made was tasteless and possibly racist.

I stand by my statement.

houseofmouse
11-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I think it was a joke gone awry. Can we move on?

I hope personally that once the Carthay is done being a preview center, (lame) that it is actually used for something more interesting.

oregontraveler
11-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Peresonally, I would like to have the Walt Disney Story there in a cinema themed building. Similar to One Man's Dream in the Animation Bldg, before being displaced by Crush.

IllusionOfLife
11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Peresonally, I would like to have the Walt Disney Story there in a cinema themed building. Similar to One Man's Dream in the Animation Bldg, before being displaced by Crush.

I think the problem there is that Disney execs look at the possibilities for what could go into the building, and what kind of crowd it would draw and a show like One Man's Dream is pretty low on the list.

Let's face it, with the exception of Turtle Talk and Captain EO (the former because of the interactivity, and the latter because Michael Jackson is a novelty once again) the 'sit down in a theater and watch a movie and/or animatronic' attractions don't generate very large crowds. In fact Disney just ditched once such show at California Adventure because of poor attendance (Golden Dreams). As much as I think it'd be cool to see a Walt Disney Story type attraction in that building, it'll likely be anything else but that (and yes, I'm including gift shop in that "anything").

houseofmouse
11-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Ugh please no gift shop!!

I agree watching a movie may be a thing of the past but a preview center will not be needed once the re-do is complete.

What about a walk through museum type thing ?

foolishmortal
11-05-2010, 11:13 PM
Ugh please no gift shop!!

I agree watching a movie may be a thing of the past but a preview center will not be needed once the re-do is complete.

What about a walk through museum type thing ?

I like that idea.

I'll miss the big sun and water feature, hoping all the new is neat too.

JerrodDRagon
11-06-2010, 02:17 AM
I thought it would have been a great place for dinner theater, maybe have a new tribute to Walt showing, I think making it just the new Blue Sky Cellar is just lazy.

olegc
11-06-2010, 10:35 AM
back in the day , :eek: , Showcase on Main St was just that - a celebration of stuff that just opened as well as a preview of things to come. Not just attractions but parades, themes, and events. it was cool - a small place where you could walk through. Blue Sky Cellar, INMO, is actually bigger than Showcase was.

If they have a preview center that's fine - but pick one. In the overall logic it would be better on the main avenue as you enter or exit the park, instead of along the path to another land. If you make it a preview center (and guest relations at the same time) then what would they do with Blue Sky? Hmmm...

MadasaHatter
11-06-2010, 02:04 PM
I hope they ultimately put sometihing very cool in there What with the STAR TOURS Upgrade and Buena Vista Street and WOC and Little Mermaid and Carlland one can't really complain. And I don't see why they couldn't put an ANIMATRONICS sort of show like in the AMERICAN PAVILION in Epcot. That would be more of an E Ticket show. With modern technology you could always add a nod to any new movie coming out. Also a history of some of his films would be awesome. OOH, here's another idea. Maybe have a few theatres that for one day showed an old classic Disney short. I would go see that as there as hundreds of Disney shorts I have never seen or ever seen once. Any other ideas?

dznyphreak
11-06-2010, 04:34 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if the theater was large enough to hold special movie nights for classic Disney movies??? I think that'd be awesome. Not all day everyday, but every so often. After all, it's modeled after the theater where Snow White debuted, right? Makes sense to me.

jcruise86
11-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if the theater was large enough to hold special movie nights for classic Disney movies???. . . After all, it's modeled after the theater where Snow White debuted. . . Yes, that would be wonderful!
Maybe another theater could be built to show the classics, though there would be capacity issues.

And while we're on the subject of classic movies in theme parks, my unrealistic wish is to see (perhaps in a temporary tent-like structure) ALL the 360 Circlevision movies including
the 55(?) & '67(?) versions of "America the Beautiful"
"A Tour of the West"
"American Journeys,"
and "Magic Carpet 'Round the World."

--but I'll pass on EPCOT's first Canada film. (I'm fine with going the rest without seeing that again. I learned the limits of nostalgia when I saw Captain EO again about two months ago with its obnoxiously moving seats.)

carolinakid
11-07-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm not 100% positive, but I think the replica of the Carthay Theatre at Disney's Hollywood Studios contains a gift shop....am I correct?

Disneylandfanguy
11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
The most recent rumor I have heard is that it will initially just be a facade, with no attraction it.

I personally would be ok with that. Its still better than the Sun Icon. I've heard rumors that the Red Car Trolley took a lot from the budget.

lauramaynot
11-08-2010, 04:24 PM
I too would love a walk through attraction of some sort. If the animation building ends up loosing it's lobby then I would be on board for housing what they got going on in there in the theatre, with films showing around the room and character meetngreet stations...that would be low budget and better than having it sit empty IMO.