PDA

View Full Version : August Trip

Bubba
04-18-2003, 06:26 PM
My family of four are planing a trip to Disney this August. Thus far we have decided to stay at Embassy Suites. Has anyone stayed here or heard any reports on this hotel:( We are also looking for any dining tips that are compatible to a limited budget.:confused:

bmr12
04-20-2003, 08:22 PM
Hi,

If you are staying at the Embassy Suites in Garden Grove, we spent four nights there over New Years' a few months back.

The property is very nice and new. Here are several observations:

*Pool is outdoors, which was a little chilly in winter.

*Hotel is quite large: twelve floors with 20-30 rooms/floor.

*This leads to large crowds at the morning breakfasts and evening cocktail receptions. We experienced long lines at both times of day.

*Despite this, they managed to move the lines relatively quickly. Cocktails were large and generous; breakfasts included most everything one could expect at a buffet breakfast. They even allowed you to take items from both back to your room with trays, etc.

*There are only four elevators to serve all the rooms. At times, this resulted in significant (for elevator) delays of several minutes. With an open interior, it was easy to see the delays in progress. Don't expect to hop down to the lobby quickly during the evening reception.

*Laundry facilities were only available very third floor. This caused a problem as at least one of the four was out of service.

*One minor nit: the hotel did not clear empty dishes quickly. Coming back in the evening we frequently saw trays of dirty dishes that had been sitting out for several hours.

We bought our tickets at the hotel and charged them to our room--more HHonors points for us!

Have fun.

MouseWife
04-20-2003, 09:23 PM
That is a great idea about the Hilton Honors!!

Yes, they do let you take your tray up to your room. We always have, no one stops you or questions you or how many times you come up to the counter. {I usually stay in the room getting ready as I sleep later than my hubby and he brings me back a big breakfast}.

There is a Buca Di Beppos in the parking lot, if you guys want to eat out but not spend a lot and if your family likes spaghetti, you can all dine there {check the webpage http://www.bucadibeppo.com/ for pricing}.

Also, there are fast food places all along the street there.

I think if you are staying anywhere up there, pretty much there has to be a fast food place close by.

At the resort, the Crocs Bites and Bits {someone correct me if I am wrong} has kids meals and such and for the location very reasonably priced. {this is in front of the Disneyland Hotel}. At the Grand Californian, there is White Water Cafe {again, please correct me} with kids meals and the like. It is nice to hang out at these locations and only spend a fraction of what it costs to eat at their restaurants.

The EB in Garden Grove has a very nice shuttle, at least since I stayed there. Some time back but I would think in the summer they would have a big bus, too.

Oh, bmr12, did you ride it? And, did the driver discuss DCA and mention the attractions, including 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' and each time raised his hand?? He cracked me up. Such a nice guy.

bmr12
04-21-2003, 07:57 PM
We didn't actually ride the shuttle as were "Disney commandos", getting to the front gate 15 to 30 minutes before the park opened, and the shuttle only started running at opening time.

Since we were there during New Years', they did run extra shuttles and actually chartered a bus to handle the volumes. Again, a couple members of our party only rode it once, and it was fine.