PDA

View Full Version : Working up a sweat

Sislers
04-18-2003, 07:44 AM
I'm going to Disneyland the first part of June and will be staying at the Paradise Pier hotel...and since I'm an avid exerciser, I was wondering what the workout room is like?? Also, what are their hours??

(What about the rooms for the Disneyland hotel, and California Adventure hotel??)

Lani
04-18-2003, 08:25 AM
I can't speak for the Paradise Pier Hotel because I am only familiar with the exercise rooms at the Disneyland Hotel and the Grand Californian. the one at the DL Hotel is pretty much a closet. Not much of anything; I think they might have had one exercise bike, and a treadmill. I also seem to recall thinking it was like a closet.

The fitness center at the Grand Californian is another matter entirely. It is a fully equipped hotel gym with weight machines, some free weights, exercise bikes, treadmills, and if I'm remembering correctly, some ellipticals.

What kind of exercises do you like to do?

Sislers
04-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Well for the most part I love doing aerobics, but when I'm not able to do that (like for vacations) I settle for treadmills and elipticals combined with some free weights.

So here's another question....if I'm staying at the Paradise Pier hotel, am I able to jump hotels and go to this other gym, or do I actually have to be a guest there??

Thanks for the info!! :)

Lani
04-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Sislers
Well for the most part I love doing aerobics, but when I'm not able to do that (like for vacations) I settle for treadmills and elipticals combined with some free weights.

So here's another question....if I'm staying at the Paradise Pier hotel, am I able to jump hotels and go to this other gym, or do I actually have to be a guest there?? OK, I asked because I wanted to get a sense of what sort of exercising you wanted to do. I've written an article about working out while vacationing at Disneyland (http://www.mouseplanet.com/lani/tp020424.htm) but it's a bit more generic and doesn't talk about aerobics at all.

One thing you might consider -- if you aren't satisfied with the equipment at the gym, you can bring your own stuff. If you use an aerobics video, you can make an audio tape of it and work out to it in your room (assuming it is a video you always work out to, the audio will give you enough of a cue that you don't need the visuals).

For strength training, I sometimes take a resistance band with me. They pack in your bag easily, and you can pretty much work out both your uppers and lowers.

As for working out in the gym of another hotel, you'll need to phone the hotel to find out. I'm also assuming there is no additional charge, and that you can be a regular guest without having to be a concierge guest.

Sislers
04-18-2003, 10:37 AM
Lani....thanks so much for giving me that article!!! I think I'm going to have to contact the hotel so I can get some sort of idea of what their equipment is and see if I'm able to "hop" over to the California hotel at no charge.
This article was good and it gave me some good ideas for food so I'm not constantly snacking, which usually happens :mad: :D
Also, it didn't even occur to me that swimming laps would work....I love swimming!! Plus, I can work on my tan. :cool: :)

This is great, thanks so much!!!:)

furbE95
04-18-2003, 03:31 PM
do you run or walk on a treadmill? I wouldnt think that you should waste your time walking on one when you have disneyland! :)

Lani
04-18-2003, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by furbE95
do you run or walk on a treadmill? I wouldnt think that you should waste your time walking on one when you have disneyland! :) I think people who normally use speed/race walking as their form of exercise would have a wonderful time walking in the park, especially first thing in the morning when it's not too crowded. Once the attendance picks up, though, it gets kind of hazardous because you have so many strollers and people not really paying attention (stopping, changing direction without looking, etc.).

Also, walking all day and standing in queues is not really exercise. Yeah, it'll make a person tired, but if we're talking about aerobic and cardiovascular workouts where you want to increase your heart rate and work up a sweat, it's very difficult to do by just walking in the park.

Sislers -- one thing I forgot to mention; we remeasured the perimeter of the resort, and it is a bit short of 3 miles. You can incorporate Walnut one block down, or else just figure that the loop is about 2.75 miles. You can always do two (or one and a half by cutting through the Esplanade for your second loop) if you want a solid run.

furbE95 does have a good point, though -- you DO get a "workout" by visiting the parks all day. Keep that in mind so you don't wear yourself out. One great workout might be to swim laps in the hottest time of the afternoon. It's refreshing, you'll get a workout, and it's a great way to break up your day. :)

Sislers
04-21-2003, 06:21 AM
~You're both right about getting exercise by walking through the parks, etc...but, I'm also one that likes to go for the "good food" when I'm on vacationing. It's not so much eating a ton, but it's the sweet stuff, churros, cinnamon rolls, etc...so I've gotta get the heart rate up to burn the calories! I'm a very active person, and I just don't consider walking from ride to ride then just standing in line for an hour to be very effective.

Lani, I'm actually leaning more towards taking an hour break, or two, and going back and swimming laps at the pool :) Is it true that you can "pool hop" between the three pools if you're staying at one of them??

Grandbreaker
04-21-2003, 11:37 AM
The fitness center at the PPH is very nice you will like it also you could use the stairs there are 15 flights of stairs have fun any other questions feel free to ask

Sislers
04-21-2003, 12:17 PM
Grandbreaker, thanks for the info....do you have more in depth, like how many treadmills, eliptical trainers, etc..?? Is there a stereo? or tv's?? (sorry, it's just I'm very anal when it comes to new environments and I like to know what to expect!)

Also, what about the pool? Is there a good time to do lap swimming without a bunch of people around?? Can you hop from pool to pool??

Thanks again!!!:)