PDA

View Full Version : Star Dinerz

Pages : [1] 2

Grandbreaker
04-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Who here has try out the new menus at the Bungalow, Inn Between, DRC, Westside dinner. What I paid last week for a burger, fries, and a coke was around $ 3.00 now its $ 7.00 ouch. I must stay I do like the " Park Food " but keep those prices down. It took me 6 min to pay for my lunch today 2 min but I see that there were more poeple bring there lunch today. What do you think have you tried it ?

Polar33
04-17-2003, 08:38 PM
Although I have yet to have to deal with the new system I have already heard from many co-workers that it is ridiculous. The prices are insanely high for what you get now.

Personally, I enjoyed having a different selection of food when back stage. Any CM that wants to go eat park food always has that option in their off-time. But when we are all relegated to eat backstage it was nice having decent food at decent prices.

Did the Bungalow get screwed up too? That was hands down my favorite place to go for lunch. Granted the walk over there takes a lot of time away from lunch, but for the high quality food and low prices it more than makes up for it.

First we have to pay for our own cast "appreciation" event, now we pay double for food, what's next? Start replacing the break rooms with Team Centers?

MonorailMan
04-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Ouch! What a price jump! :eek:

bluepearl
04-18-2003, 02:05 AM
Oh yeah...the Bungalow got royally screwed. I had lunch there the other day with another CM and for two orders of the mini-cheeseburgers (two per order; both of which were seriously MINI) and fries, a tiny salad, plus one soda, the cost came out to a little over $6. I never spent that much before, and I could order a whole entree, salad, soda, and dessert. Brown-bagging a lunch would be more economical for me from now on. Some of the food is the same stuff we used to get, too. :shrug: I wasn't impressed.

stitcher
04-18-2003, 08:00 AM
When I heard about this new program, I was excited. Now I'm protesting:mad: I refuse to pay such ridiculous amounts for so little food. I figure, based on what I can remember of the old prices, that at least 90% of the items offered before have experienced a 25-30% increase in price. For example we now get to pay over $3 for a slice of cheese pizza, which was 2.50 before. The company has succeeded in getting CM's excited about allowing them to make a bigger profit off of them. I heard that Walt once said something to the effect that if you keep your workers happy, they will give it to your guests in return.....Despite this program making me anything but happy, I plan on "dishing out" free memories anyway, though I can't speak for the thousands of others who are in my position as well.

And I agree, the poor Bungalow, which was probably the cheapest meal ticket on the whole resort, has experienced the greatest change, as all cast dining locations were brought to the same price level.

I'll gripe more later....gotta run:)

furbE95
04-18-2003, 03:29 PM
well its good to know that disney likes to screw over its on employees as bad as it does its paying customers.

Grandbreaker
04-18-2003, 05:46 PM
Fill out those comment cards let them know how you feel. Yesturday at the bungalow the swing shift housekeeping protest and they all brown bag it. That is why you see 4 microwaves in there now I am upset because they got rid of chicken tenders and bannana cream pie:mad: .

Bubba
04-18-2003, 06:10 PM
does anyone know when the new disney codes are released for the month of August 2003.:confused:

ArthurBang
04-18-2003, 07:29 PM
You know, I've been on vacation this week so I haven't yet experienced Star Dinerz, but I was excited about it.. and I still am.

Of course I work DCA, where our meals have typically been $5 - $7 as it is .. Or the Inn-Between where I recently paid $8 for a meal..

The subs were reported at the Cast Expo as being $3.29 which doesn't sound bad.. The value meals that are $1.89 .. things like spaghetti and tacos and enchilladas.. I have yet to see it with my own eyes, but I can't imagine the portions being THAT small. And they mentioned that for $1 more you can add an additional item from the value menu. That still brings it to under $3 before a drink. Our pre-made meals at the DCA used to be somewhere around $4-5 before a drink was added.

While I do like the idea that all the cafes are going to one price level, I don't feel much pity for those who were able to go to the Bungalow and spend $3 for a meal when we would have to spend twice as much for ours. I think this is actually geared though towards those who have a 30 minute lunch. I mean, I hardly know anyone who goes to the cafe and has a chance to order as many things as some of you have mentioned here and have time to eat them and get to/back to their location in 30 mins.

But I wll experience it for the first time myself on Monday .. I'm looking forward to the change.

Polar33
04-18-2003, 08:08 PM
After experienceing "Star Dinerz" (what is with the "z" anyway, it reminds me of those tacky "kar" dealerships on Harbor), I really cant say a good thing about the system. A cheeseburger and fries last week cost me $3.21, that same order today costs $4.71. For those who don't want to do the math, that is a $1.50 increase. If I were to eat a cheeseburger every day I work for the next year I will be spending $390 dollars more on food than I would have last year. Also, if I wanted to have a hamburger instead I would have to pay cheeseburger prices. Want a different type of cheese? Nope, can't do it...why? Because it is a Taste Pilot's Grill Cheddar Burger. Yes, the quality is better, but it's not worth an extra $1.50.

Even items that havn't been "improved" cost more now. Salad bar prices cost about ten more cents per ounce. The Westside Diner (minus all of it's themeing) now sells the same Smuckers Uncrustables (http://www.smuckers.com/fg/pds/default.asp?groupid=3&catid=46) sandwiches for sixty cents then the used to cost. I guess we all have to pay the price for those new costumes and equipment.

After thinking about it I don't think that the "Star Dinerz" prices are any different than what a CM would pay if they were useing their discount if they went to the restaraunt as a guest. I'll look into that tomorrow. The only difference here is we don't have an option of going off-property to eat.

The wait time was terrible, it took atleast 10 min. to make my order today and the place wasn't even busy. If I only have a half hour to spend on lunch, I can't afford to take 1/3 of that time to wait for my food. I understand the cashiers being slower due to learning new menus and such and that will improve with time, but "fast food" should not take that long to cook.

Menu options have been slashed in half as well. If they don't rotate things on a daily basis, I will be sick of eating in about three weeks. You can no longer buy Dole Whip as well, even though that is something that is served in the park anyway. :rolleyes:

After today I realised three things: Whoever thought of this new system dosn't eat at cast restaraunts that often
Whoever thought of this system is most likely a manager and gets free meals anyway, therefore they don't realise how expensive it is for hourly CMs to pay these prices.
Whoever thought of this system is way out of touch with the hourly CMs, period.

I strongly incourage all the CMs out there to fill out one (or more) of the "Star Dinerz" comment cards. Don't bother telling the CMs that are working the location how displeased you are, they already know and probably have their own set of complaints. Many people in ODV have started their own personal boycot and are bringing their own food.

Ok...off of my soapbox now. I think I will go write up a three page "comment card" for them. Complete with charts and graphs. :~D

ArthurBang
04-18-2003, 08:26 PM
I might have been a bit harsh in my last post, especially seeing as how I haven't tried it yet..

But the $1.89 meals (Max Meals?) were widely advertised as items that would fill you up for under $3 (with drink) .. Looking back at Bluepearl's post, who had to get 2 orders of mini cheeseburgers, how would any of you rate the Max Meals option, in terms of the amount of food you get. I look at the list I have here and they say you get Spaghetti, Salad and Garlic Bread for $1.89, I wonder how this can't fill you up .

By the way, Polar33, which cafe do you use? ... I had no idea they used to sell Dole Whip in the cafes.. Those are my favorite food item in the park. Plus I've never seen the Uncrustables for sale at the DCA cafe or Inn Between . I do still have one in the fridge though that I got at the Cast Blast Expo.

Polar33
04-18-2003, 08:54 PM
I can't personaly vouch for the Max Meals as of yet, but from what I understand the portions are too small to make a good meal out of it. I looked at the two mini cheeseburgers and order of fries that was on display today and I know for sure it would take at least two orders and probabaly a desert to fill me up. And don't get me started on the lack of desert options.

The Dole Whip was served at the Inn Between along with annother flavor of frozen yogurt. The Inn Between is in the same buisiness complex as the Tiki Juice Bar, so they easily had enough stock on hand for both locations most of the time. It only cost around 20 cents an ounce too, you could get a huge portion for a fraction of what you would get in park. The Uncrustables were a staple of the Westside Diner and at around 75 cents each, were a good item to stockpile for snacks later.

I seriously hope the people in charge of this rethink two things. First and foremost, bring back the old the old menu selections and incorperate the "in-park" food as well. I find it incredably rude on their part to assume that the thousands of CMs all want to choose from the same 20 or so options. Second, fix the pricing. Bring it back down to reasonable levels, have it reflect the quality of the food and the time it takes to prepare it. Don't assume that since it's "cheaper than in the park" that that makes it affordable. It's hard for CMs to please guests when the CMs can't afford to eat.

ArthurBang
04-18-2003, 08:57 PM
I never knew they had Dole Whips :( .. I would've been getting them all the time.

I was just on the portal looking at the Star Dinerz menu choices and it does seem more expensive.. at least if you want a burger or something like that. Some are more, some are probably less.

The subs are all $3.39 which isn't bad.. the max meals (looks like 4 or 5 options a day) are all $1.89 (still advertised as enough to fill you up). But things like the hamburgers and pasta from Pizza Port are $4-5 before a drink.

cujosr
04-18-2003, 10:50 PM
Although I am no longer a CM (I thank god I got out when I did). Management should realize that many CMs can't afford those prices. After all they do work for Disney;) .

PhilMP
04-19-2003, 12:39 AM
Bah, management doesn't care, all they do is punch a few numbers in the cash register and get their food for free.

They just regard us as more wallets to plunder.

If you don't know, the subway sandwich at the Texaco just after the Ball Lot entrance does give a cast discount. As for me, 50 cent Cup of Noodle meals until they change the program.

And I've gotten rather creative with my comment card, comparing Star Diners to the Standard Oil monopoly. Though I do have a friend who compared it to the Industrial Revolution. :)

Phil

driftwood714
04-19-2003, 02:15 AM
Hehe.. Standard Oil. I like it. I like how at the Bugalow Grill I could get their brownie last week for 60 cents. Today it's $1.49, why? It's the same brownie, actually it tasted worse today than last week. I don't understand.

I'd like to see them offer CHEAP prices to make the Cast Members happy to be working for Disney. Now, it just seems to make the CMs bitter and it shows On Stage. Honestly, I don't expect to pay more than 4 or 5 bucks MAXIMUM for any meal at a Cast Diner. Today I spent 7 dollars on the Chicken Fuscilli from Pizza Port and a desert (which are EXTREMELY limited in variety). Last week I could get chicken tenders, fries, a desert and a drink for about 5 dollars. Don't forget that the fries were MUCH better quality and fressness than the crap they serve now and there were several deserts to choose from. It seems like all the food they are serving now is from the Parks.

I would suggest for any CM upset over this to fill out those comment cards every time you visit a Cafe. Oh and also brown bag it. Upper Management needs to realize that they're not here to make money of their staff, but their customers.

driftwood714
04-19-2003, 02:17 AM
Management doesn't get free food, do they? Where does this happen? I always see managers paying for their food like everyone else.

stitcher
04-19-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by driftwood714
Management doesn't get free food, do they? Where does this happen? I always see managers paying for their food like everyone else.

Maybe they only have an allowance.....but they do get food for free

As for the 1.89 spaghetti, salad and garlic bread.....I will take a guess as to the portion(and probably be very close). Think of it as a kid portion most likely. Salad used to cost .22/oz.; Spaghetti .17/oz.(after the 3.99 standard that I admit to using to my full advantage:~D) and garlic bread was .69(price?). So even considering that they kept every thing there for the same price, once you subtract the garlic bread. Which then comes out to about 6 oz. of pasta(including 1 oz. of sauce) and an 1 oz. of salad. By the way, do you get a choice of sauce?

And yes, it now takes at least as long to just get the food, as it did to also pay for it before.

Want a nice grilled cheese sandwich? Hardly filling, but at a reduced(just how many items were reduced?) $1 I suppose it's ok. However throw in the lack of bread choice, I'd rather pay the old price to get sourdough.

cujosr
04-19-2003, 09:36 AM
I know management in foods will get free food in thier operating zone (ie TPG/train/hollywood managegment will get free food in any of those locations). I did see management rarely go to the DCA Cafe but i don't think they got free food there. BTW DCA cafe is looking pretty good now ain't it?

stitcher
04-19-2003, 12:15 PM
Ahhh, so that's what we're paying for: They need to make up for de-theming the WSD and making the DCA Cafe look good. :p

PhilMP
04-20-2003, 12:04 AM
LOL, the new name going around happens to be the SARS Diner.

I encourage everybody to boycott the cast commissaries and bring food from home...or get fast food before/after shift, or buy a cup-of-noodles from the supermarket for 50 cents and bring it to work.

Phil

Grandbreaker
04-20-2003, 04:34 PM
Today at the Bungalow you could pick any table you wanted around 12pm in the past you couldn't get a table at 12 noon.

stitcher
04-22-2003, 09:38 PM
Word has it that there are some activities(or lack thereof) planned on Friday 4/25 regarding this matter.....Any CM's here in for it?

cujosr
04-22-2003, 11:53 PM
I know I won't be there!!:rolleyes:

PhilMP
04-23-2003, 12:00 AM
I just say we boycott the free meal that we're supposed to get in May.

However, there has been a petition circulating around against the SARS Diner, but I think it kind of got lost...:( Stupid Tomorrowland guy took it and never gave it back to us.

Oh well...we can always just make a new one.

Phil