PDA

View Full Version : Ever see anybody you know at Disneyland?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Michael24
10-20-2010, 07:44 PM
(If this belongs in another area, my apologies. I wasn't sure.)

This is probably more likely to happen to someone from California, but have you ever gone to Disneyland and actually seen somebody you know? (No planned meet-ups or anything, but actual coincidental meetings.)

Proving it is indeed a small world after all, on a couple occasions it's happened to my family. One time in the early-90s, we were standing on Main Street at night, and a guy came up behind my mom and said "Excuse me, ma'am, park security." We turned around, and it was one of her cousins, whom we hadn't seen in several years. He was there with his family. We couldn't believe the coincidence, especially given we both lived in Northern California.

A couple other incidents happened in the mid- and late-90s. One time I ran into a friend from high school who was there with his family, and on another visit I saw one of my teachers. Sometime after that, my brother saw a kid he knew from school walking by while we were in line for Matterhorn.

I would expect something like this to be more likely if I lived in Southern California, where the park would be just a short drive away. But being that my family and I live about a 6-7 hour drive from Disneyland, I was always amazed when we'd see somebody we knew that far away from our home area.

Anybody ever have something like that?

fairestoneofall
10-20-2010, 08:54 PM
So often. Usually it's other friends I know locally or MPers. But, I have ran into people that live out of state. Then again, I'm at DL...a lot.

adriennek
10-20-2010, 09:03 PM
All the time. ;)

I ran into an MA player at Kona Cafe in WDW once, too. :D

Adrienne

rfaljean
10-20-2010, 09:32 PM
We once ran into the pastor that performed our marriage (and his family) ceremony in the queue for IASW. He'd been the pastor at our church for a few years and we hadn't seen him in 5 years. It was really neat seeing them again. I used to baby sit for them eons ago.

rivermary
10-20-2010, 09:46 PM
I have run into many people while at Disneyland. Former co-workers and friends from way back that I have not seen in years. It is very fun to run into them and a few have developed into a renewed friendships. Other times it is just the usual current friends and family that just happen to be there the same day as me and my girls.:D

mousecanuck
10-21-2010, 06:15 AM
In 2006 we were settling to watch the MEP in CA and a family who goes to our school and lived a block away waved to us from across the 'road'. We chatted a bit, had not idea they were Disney Freaks like us, all the way from Canada!!!

TRON
10-21-2010, 06:38 AM
The first time I ran into someone I knew at DLR was in 2002 or 2003. I was over in Toon Town and waiting for my GF (now wife) to exit the BR, while standing there I saw a guy I used to be stationed with in the military back in 1991 - 1993. We actually were good friends and hung out during those years but once he got out of the military we lost contact. Anyways I called out his name and he came over and we talked for about an hour and caught up again, even exchanged phone numbers.......sadly never to speak to each other again. LOL

The second time was not all that special it was a co-worker and his family but all the same it was still nice.

Stuff like this happens to me all the time at different places not DLR, I have must ran into 30 or people I know about twice a year just at different places I travel to. My wife thinks it is really eerie but I know a lot of people all over the world so to me I am not all that surprised.

pixar
10-21-2010, 07:01 AM
When I was a kid, I saw my 2nd grade teacher in Tomorrowland. Needless to say, I was in my best behavior while my parents were chatting with her. :)

quackinup
10-21-2010, 07:03 AM
A few months ago I was waiting to get on the train at the Main Street Station and spotted a co-worker boarding. She spotted me, but wasn't sure it was me because of the hat and sunglasses. She casually waved and I shook my head and pretended not to know her. Pretty much had her convinced it wasn't me and then as the train pulled out I waved and yelled "see you tomorrow." A little later in the day she saw someone else she "knew," Kobe Bryant.

I've also seen people I knew and thought "wow, that looks like so and so" and found out later that it really was them.

rph13
10-21-2010, 08:09 AM
We were at DL back in 2001 and saw one of our flight attendents in the park! That was kind of neat because we live on the East Coast and the flight was long and my kids did NOT run up and down the aisle or scream for the whole flight like the other kids on the plane, so the flight attendents took a little more notice of them (gave them cookies that they made for first class), and when he saw us he wished us a safe trip back home and we tried to figure out if he would be our flight attendent home too.

mkraemer
10-21-2010, 08:10 AM
I live about 400 miles away, and I often see people from 'home' at DL. Of course, I see MP'ers all the time, but that's not quite the same random type of serendipity.

disneyobsessed
10-21-2010, 08:33 AM
So many times now that I've lost count. We live in NorCal, so it's about a 6-7 hour trip by car for us. We go several times a year, usually during peak times, and it seems like there's always someone from this area going at the same time. We have run into people accidentally that we knew would be there but didn't plan to meet and also people we know who we didn't know would be down there.

MadasaHatter
10-21-2010, 08:56 AM
I just saw my STARBUCK'S gal from SF while there at the beginning of the month!

But my favorite story is that my best friend went to Disneyland for the first time at age 6 from RENO NEVADA and to her it was as if she traveled around the world. WHile in Disneyland she saw a classmate of hers and got so excited and screamed her named and jumped up and down and the little girl sort of shrugged and said "Oh, hi Carolyn." and then the family walked on. That blew her six year old mind. She has told that story a couple of times while running around Disneyland with me. Love it. of course, I am mad.

akoni
10-21-2010, 10:53 AM
I have on 3 different occasions I worked for the YMCA in Nor Cal and have run into one of the kids walking down main street and he had a look of shock on his face then it followed with a big :D and high five.

The next one was in CA i was in the park and ran into two sisters that were at my childcare site and they thought it was the coolest thing when we ran into each other. They let everyone know that we ran into each other and shared the pic we took together.

The last one was at CA again i ran into another kid from my childcare site with her mom she screamed my name and ran to give me a hug. those are those moments that you never forget. :D

newhdplayer
10-21-2010, 10:59 AM
2008, in Epcot, we ran into a co-worker of the wife's.

From SoCal

John
10-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Most Tucson area schools get a couple of rodeo vacation days off near the end of February. Many of us head to Disneyland (instead of the rodeo) for the four day weekend, so I run into people I know every year.

Toocherie
10-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Well, probably not as amazing as some because I live so close to DLR, but there is one gentleman that I know from business that I seem to run into every other time or so that I am at the resort. the last time in Hearthstone lounge when I was having a drink with a friend--he and his wife were staying at the GCH for their anniversary and they stopped by for a drink too--of course, he's a Disney nut like me, so it's not that surprising!

JunJunM3
10-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Bumped into my Econ professor while in line for Indy, and was surprised to see that me and my party were right next to my Biochem professor and his family while we were seated along RoA waiting for F!

ChurroGirl
10-21-2010, 08:24 PM
I once saw an old Marching Band mate from High School and DH saw a coworker a couple years back.

torquedork
10-21-2010, 08:44 PM
I had ran into several friends from high school which the most recent where I had walked right in between one of my friends and her husband which I didn't realized that I had walked right past them because I was so focused on something until I had been called by my full name. Another time I had ran into another friend on three different days.

Tinker44
10-21-2010, 09:22 PM
Yup! Back in 1990, my Mother and I ran into a family from the same school... of course, we live in Interior BC, Canada so it was a really big surprise to see their familiar faces so far from home. We crossed paths at The Hub (naturally) and I think if memory serves, we went for ice creams to celebrate.

Made it kinda cool because we ran into that same family 4 years earlier at Expo '86 in Vancouver... which at least was the same home country and province. Though I have to say, that day at Expo had the highest recorded attendance of the entire 4 (6?) month fair!

3Princesses1Prince
10-21-2010, 09:28 PM
In 4th grade I ran into my BFF outside Captain Eo (we didn't know either of us were going to DL that summer). Last September, DH ran into a fellow union member from a neighboring utility district. In December we ran into a girl from DD's soccer team. In June we ran into a friend and a girl from DD's preschool class that happened to be going the same time (we knew they'd both be there, but never arranged to meet up). Also in June I saw my high school dance teacher walking through GCH. I'm fairly sure we ran into someone in October too, but I'm not remembering who?

sjhanksaz
10-22-2010, 06:24 AM
We have been to Disneyland dozens of times and it seems like every time we run into someone we know.

Once it was a neighbor from down the street, who we didn't know was going to be there. Another time we ran into a guy I knew in highschool 20 years ago.

I wonder who we will run into next week????????:)

quackinup
10-22-2010, 08:03 AM
We have been to Disneyland dozens of times and it seems like every time we run into someone we know.

Once it was a neighbor from down the street, who we didn't know was going to be there. Another time we ran into a guy I knew in highschool 20 years ago.

I wonder who we will run into next week????????:)

Sounds like their next promotion.

Who Will You Run Into?

danyoung
10-22-2010, 09:24 AM
This happened in Epcot a few years ago. I was wearing a jacket that my truck driver brother from Idaho had given me for Christmas. Some guy I'd never seen before pointed out the AGL letters on my jacket. I said "That's from the trucking company my brother works for, Arlo Lott Trucking." He said, "Yeah, I know - I'm Arlo Lott!!!" You don't really expect to run into your brother's boss when you're both way across the country!