PDA

View Full Version : Suicide at Disneyland

Pages : [1] 2

Toocherie
10-18-2010, 04:05 PM
The OC Weekly is reporting that a man in his 40's or 50's committed suicide by jumping off the Mickey and Friends parking structure last night. Not a lot of details but the story is here:

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazing/dishney/man-commits-suicide-by-jumping/

AVP
10-18-2010, 04:07 PM
This apparently happened shortly before we left the Resort last night, and a friend called from the parking structure to ask if we knew what was going on.

Toocherie
10-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Very sad--for the gentleman who died, his family and anyone who might have witnessed it.

Vegitabeta
10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
That is horrible :(

SigalTchelet
10-18-2010, 04:48 PM
So Tragic. Can't believe I was there yesterday. Just so sad. I wonder what had him so sad that made him to want to kill himself at the Happiest Place on Earth????

Lilo143stitch
10-18-2010, 06:32 PM
8:45PM! i know when we left last night after MA it was close to 7:30PM and people were pouring out of the park. It is sad that somebody feels this is the last resort in life, but my goodness doing that act in such a public place with kids around blows my mind!

kiowa
10-18-2010, 06:40 PM
sad?

it's selfish

"So Tragic. Can't believe I was there yesterday. Just so sad"

can't believe you were there? what does this have to do with anything? I'm confused, did you see it or you were just at the park?

Toocherie
10-18-2010, 06:50 PM
sad?

it's selfish

whether it was selfish or not remains to be seen. It is still sad that someone feels like their only option is to take their life. And, if you look at my post I also mentioned it was sad for the family and anyone who witnessed it.

bennette
10-18-2010, 06:50 PM
We don't have many details yet but given the statistically high correlation between depression and suicide, I am willing to suggest the possibility that it's depression related.

Depression is a serious illness. While there may be steps a person can take to work on battling the illness, they don't work for all. Depression is not something anyone would choose to have, any more than they would choose to have any other illness.

Distressing as suicide may be for other affected by it and difficult to others to understand, I hope none of us would lightly characterize someone in that situation as selfish, at least not without knowing the facts. I can only think of a majority of suicide victims as being in a great deal of pain.

If he was battling depression, he has my sympathies, as do his family and friends.

SigalTchelet
10-18-2010, 09:47 PM
sad?

it's selfish

"So Tragic. Can't believe I was there yesterday. Just so sad"

can't believe you were there? what does this have to do with anything? I'm confused, did you see it or you were just at the park?

What does it matter to you? I was just commenting.

SigalTchelet
10-18-2010, 09:52 PM
We don't have many details yet but given the statistically high correlation between depression and suicide, I am willing to suggest the possibility that it's depression related.

Depression is a serious illness. While there may be steps a person can take to work on battling the illness, they don't work for all. Depression is not something anyone would choose to have, any more than they would choose to have any other illness.

Distressing as suicide may be for other affected by it and difficult to others to understand, I hope none of us would lightly characterize someone in that situation as selfish, at least not without knowing the facts. I can only think of a majority of suicide victims as being in a great deal of pain.

If he was battling depression, he has my sympathies, as do his family and friends.

Thank you. When someone is that depressed, it is difficult to think of others, besides your own pain. I will share that I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression in 1996. Meds saved my life. For most of the time, I have known for myself, that no matter how depressed I was, I could not do that to my family. I am lucky to have a loving supportive family. But not everyone does, and sometimes feels like Suicide is the only answer. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

kiowa
10-19-2010, 05:31 AM
What does it matter to you? I was just commenting.

So was I

SigalTchelet
10-19-2010, 07:16 AM
So was I

IMO you were asking it very does it nicely. Why does it even matter to you?

GusMan
10-19-2010, 07:41 AM
Moderators Note: Please keep the discussion on topic.

kiowa
10-19-2010, 09:06 AM
IMO you were asking it very does it nicely. Why does it even matter to you?

I don't understand the relevance of you being there, if you were there to watch it happen I could understand, but, if you were just at the park, I don't see why that matters.

Nikara
10-19-2010, 09:20 AM
I get the significance of being there that day. I parked on the roof for MouseAdventure, and there is something a little creepy about having been up there an hour before this happened. You almost wish that you had been there later, so that you could have done something to help stop it. They filled the top level really early in the day, so by the time I was there at 7:30, it was already pretty empty. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that no one else was up there when this happened.

SigalTchelet
10-19-2010, 12:38 PM
I get the significance of being there that day. I parked on the roof for MouseAdventure, and there is something a little creepy about having been up there an hour before this happened. You almost wish that you had been there later, so that you could have done something to help stop it. They filled the top level really early in the day, so by the time I was there at 7:30, it was already pretty empty. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that no one else was up there when this happened.

Thank you for understanding me! It is just a weird feeling that I had been at the bottom of the structure that morning (possibly where he landed)

dlfansx4
10-19-2010, 01:59 PM
I don't understand the relevance of you being there, if you were there to watch it happen I could understand, but, if you were just at the park, I don't see why that matters.

I understand it. It is a matter of making something "too close for comfort." I have the same issue with BTMRR. We were in the park the day of the accident in September 2003 and my DH and DD had ridden the ride right before the accident (in the very front seat). Now I wasn't there (I was back at the hotel room with DS) and we didn't even know about it until later that morning. But just knowing the my DH and DD had been that close to what happened still has a small affect on me. To this day, I do not like to ride in the front seat of BTMRR (and will ask to be seated elsewhere if that is where they try and put us).

I know it isn't exactly the same because one was an accident that could have happened to anyone and the other was an intentional action by one person. But it is just knowing that you could have been there and seen this man fall to his death, had the timing been different, is enough to affect people. JMHO

leota's necklace
10-19-2010, 02:19 PM

Benette, thank you for this. It is really, really easy for some people to dismiss suicide as a selfish action if they have never experienced the pain of mental illness or depression, or have had a loved one who has decided to take their own life.

I would hope that Padders would have the compassion to consider the pain this man might have been in before they condemn him.

lauramaynot
10-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Yes. very sad for his friends and family. There have been suicides from there before I think...probably because it is a tall structure with easy access. I personally can't imagine the pain you would have to be in to consider jumping to your death. That would just be so terrifying and painful so he must have been dealing with something awful.

Vegitabeta
10-19-2010, 03:55 PM
I understand it. It is a matter of making something "too close for comfort." I have the same issue with BTMRR. We were in the park the day of the accident in September 2003 and my DH and DD had ridden the ride right before the accident (in the very front seat). Now I wasn't there (I was back at the hotel room with DS) and we didn't even know about it until later that morning. But just knowing the my DH and DD had been that close to what happened still has a small affect on me. To this day, I do not like to ride in the front seat of BTMRR (and will ask to be seated elsewhere if that is where they try and put us).

I also get a little creeped out getting put in the front seat on BTMRR, and prefer to be elsewhere (though I never ask to be moved, and I wasn't there on the day like you were). I just read a lot about it, and it really sorta scared me in a way, and I can't imagine how horrible it must have been, so that does cross my mind when I'm getting on BTMRR, I just can't help it!

tHeDiSnEyKiD
10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
Haunted Mansion finally has its 1,000th guest. Nice.

On a serious note, just the wrong place to do this. Way selfish.

BlkPearlCptn
10-20-2010, 11:17 AM

I CAN"T believe you went there! Disgusting!

disneylandgirl
10-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Really? I do not think it is funny to joke about someone's death. And did you not see Leota's post below? What she said.

Benette, thank you for this. It is really, really easy for some people to dismiss suicide as a selfish action if they have never experienced the pain of mental illness or depression, or have had a loved one who has decided to take their own life.

I would hope that Padders would have the compassion to consider the pain this man might have been in before they condemn him.

leota's necklace
10-20-2010, 11:25 AM

I have had over half a dozen friends and family members decide to take their own lives. I have dealt with clinical depression personally for over thirty years.

I hope you never feel that pain. If you do, I hope some jerk doesn't come by and tell you how selfish your loved one was.

I really, really do.