PDA

View Full Version : Duffy Bear?

Pages : [1] 2

crazysheli
10-17-2010, 10:46 AM
Last week (either Wednesday or Thursday I can't remember, my days are all jumbled together) we were at DCA for rope drop and stumbled across a ceremony to introduce Duffy Bear. Is Duffy Bear really the latest and greatest new Disney character that I just never heard of or is he just Disney's ploy to get into the teddy bear market?

ochibiyo
10-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi there,

Duffy the Bear is a popular character from Tokyo Disneyland. He was introduced to America but did not do well here, so it went to Tokyo and it was a hit after TDL made a story about him. I believe the story is the same when he is introduced here, about Minnie giving him to Mickey. In TDL, he is huge with a girlfriend, clothes, accessories and so on. When something is new, the lines to TDL are insane! Hope this helps! ^__^

Drince88
10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Is Duffy Bear really the latest and greatest new Disney character that I just never heard of or is he just Disney's ploy to get into the teddy bear market?
I'd say "yes". (The two options are far from mutually exclusive!):)

In Epcot they have Kidcot stations (started out in each Country, now I think are in all the pavillions in Future World, too). ANYWAY, they used to have these masks on a stick that the kids can color and add a tag or stamp at each location. The week of the 3rd we heard one parent ask a CM where they could get a mask, and she said only 2 countries had them any more, because they were phasing them out - and then 2 days later when we were back in Epcot we saw Duffy's on a stick (Mark has a picture in the WDW update last week (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9410/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update)) instead of masks. And they also are building a Meet & Greet area for him in Epcot (picture in the same update), So they're trying HARD to push him in the U.S.

Here's a link (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9368/Walt_Disney_World_Resort_Update#duffy) that has a bit of the backstory. And another that has some pictures (http://www.mouseplanet.com/9389/Disneyland_Resort_Update#news2) of items that will be offered for sale.

wenidog
10-17-2010, 03:11 PM
Duffy looks kind of cheesy imho. Plus, no real tie-in with any other Disney products.

Disneylandfanguy
10-17-2010, 04:02 PM
I personally don't care too much for Duffy but hey, if people like him then that's cool with me. :cool:

olegc
10-17-2010, 09:41 PM
Duffy looks kind of cheesy imho. Plus, no real tie-in with any other Disney products.

um - just you wait. that's why they introduced him...

AJDerrick
10-18-2010, 06:16 AM
We were there over the weekend. Duffy has a meet-n-greet by Ariel's now, with a queue that tells his story. Didn't buy one, but I did look at them and they're squishy soft and a very sweet teddy. I don't really buy the story, but if you want a nice teddy I think Duffy would be a good one.

Drince88
10-18-2010, 06:29 AM
I'm thinking there might be some parallels with Duffy in Japan and Hello Kitty. HK is WAY more popular there, then here (it seems to me) and was for a LONG time before there was anything available here that was above 8 year old target audience.

I don't know if HK was something that could have been forced on the U.S. market - and I'm a little concerned that might be what they're trying with Duffy.

How popular are the Pooh characters in Japan? There are some GREAT cuddly soft plush with them in the stores here, that I'm thinking Duffy would have to take market segment from, and that's going to be a VERY hard sell.

BUT... I am not involved in retail, at all, and I may be extrapolating way too much here.

Thoughts?

ochibiyo
10-18-2010, 07:03 AM
Pooh characters are popular in Japan, especially Piglet. He walks around to take pictures and everything! So jealous! As far as I can see, TDL separated the two. Duffy is only for Disney Sea at McDuff, while you can find Pooh anywhere in TDL.
Duffy will be forced upon Disneyland because even though Duffy was sold here first, Japan made it a huge hit in their corner of the world. So of course, Disneyland execs see that maybe the American market will now buy it. IMO, I don't think it will sell!

dlfansx4
10-18-2010, 07:23 AM
My 7-year old DS loves his Duffy Bear. We got him last month at the AP preview and Duffy has been hanging out with him every since (he even made the trip back to DLR with us 1 1/2 weeks ago and will go with us again this Friday).

As far as Teddy Bears so, he is very soft and cuddly. But he gets bonus points for fitting into Build-a-bear clothing ;) Right now he wears his sailor suit in the daytime and Build-a-bear pajamas at night. My ds is very excited to go back to DCA this weekend for a meet-and-great and to pick up a new outfit for him. I was curious how long his attachment to him would last since most of his stuffed animals are played with for a while and then kind of forgotten. But Duffy has had staying power and is still loved on daily.

So from a 7-year old's perspective, Duffy receives a thumbs up, LOL. My DD (12) also has that stays on her bed, but hers is more for sentamental reasons.

newhdplayer
10-18-2010, 08:39 AM
I thought this was about Duff Beer.

Never mind.

Lilo143stitch
10-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Not a huge fan of Duffy the Bear, but then again I know I tend to be resistant to change (i'm workin on it). Maybe the bear will just take some time. Maybe he needs a movie and a dark ride and then there will be an attachment to him.

CariBelle
10-18-2010, 10:04 AM
We were there over the weekend. Duffy has a meet-n-greet by Ariel's now, with a queue that tells his story. Didn't buy one, but I did look at them and they're squishy soft and a very sweet teddy. I don't really buy the story, but if you want a nice teddy I think Duffy would be a good one.

We saw this too and thought it was very cute. We walked by at park opening and Duffy was out walking around and have us high 5s as we passed by.

QuiGonJ
02-26-2011, 03:50 PM
I know the thread is old, but I didn't want to start a new thread on this.

According to the story, Duffy is a bear that Mickey takes on adventures with him. What happened to Pluto? I thought Pluto went places with Mickey.

Kuzcofan
02-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Pluto does go with Mickey sometimes. Duffy is a teddy bear that Minnie made for him, so he will not get lonely. She gave it to him in a duffle bag, that is where "Duffy" came from. The face of Duffy has a hidden mickey as well as on his feet and behind.

QuiGonJ
02-26-2011, 08:30 PM
I can see the one in his face, but uh, no way am I looking at a teddy bear's bottom to comfirm that. :D

Grandpa Louie
02-26-2011, 09:38 PM
Just make sure you buy two at a time.

DeneceV
02-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Nope, I just can't go for it. There are so many other plushes available and Duffy just doesn't grab me. Or very many others from what I've seen

Grandpa Louie
02-26-2011, 09:45 PM
Nope, I just can't go for it. There are so many other plushes available and Duffy just doesn't grab me. Or very many others from what I've seen

OK, buy two of everything else.

janell
03-01-2011, 07:39 AM
FYI I read on another board that Duffy prices are on the rise and may already be at the higher prices. Those who may want Duffy items may want to check it out soon. You may still get the cheaper prices, I'm not sure.

cstephens
03-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I think he's kinda cute. There was one or two outfits of his that I saw at WDW that I liked, but unfortunately, those were attached to the bear. I would have thought more about buying it if they were just outfits that I could remove, but I didn't want a version of him where he could only wear one outfit.

janell
03-01-2011, 02:21 PM
I too wish some of the costumes were not attached to the bear. I wish they had all the costumes would fit the 17" bear and you could change them as you wanted different costumes.

BlkPearlCptn
03-02-2011, 07:17 AM
Just out of curiosity, does the Build-A-Bear outfits fit Duffy? I know they fit my stuffed Stitch. Thanks.

Letterbomb1039
03-02-2011, 11:02 AM
omg! the dreaded duffy!:eek::confused:

i personally dont like him. he has no tie in with ANY disney film/and or attraction. every time i see him i cringe a bit. buuut disneyland cant make everyone happy, so ill just have to deal.

Kuzcofan
03-02-2011, 11:27 AM
omg! the dreaded duffy!:eek::confused:

i personally dont like him. he has no tie in with ANY disney film/and or attraction. every time i see him i cringe a bit. buuut disneyland cant make everyone happy, so ill just have to deal.

Well he is from a Disney story...kind of.
Maybe since he is so popular now they will make a movie or perhaps an animated short before a movie.

On a side note last time I was there we saw him and I got a hug from him. (Yes I'm 44yrs old I know it was some teenager in a costume)but he has the softest fur.