PDA

View Full Version : Unite HERE Local 11's latest protests at the Disneyland Resort

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

MousePlanet AutoPoster
10-15-2010, 05:10 PM
MousePlanet: Has Local 11 gone too far? Union reps are passing out this flyer warning visitors about pedophiles around Disneyland
http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/2xxawp.jpg (http://twitpic.com/2xxawp)

Click to view the full-size image (http://twitpic.com/2xxawp)

MousePlanet AutoPoster
10-15-2010, 05:10 PM
MousePlanet: Local 11 is staging another "balloon war" in Downtown Disney tonight.
http://twitpic.com/show/thumb/2xx8l9.jpg (http://twitpic.com/2xx8l9)

Click to view the full-size image (http://twitpic.com/2xx8l9)

AVP
10-16-2010, 12:55 AM
I copied over two photos taken Friday at Disneyland, showing two different protests being staged by Unite HERE Local 11, the hotel worker's union that has been in a contract dispute with Disney for nearly three years.

The first protest was a repeat of the "balloon war" gambit they've been doing for a while. The union sends out a group with a helium tank to distribute balloons with an anti-Disney message on them to people walking into the Esplanade from Downtown Disney. Obviously the goal is to get people to carry the anti-Disney message into the theme parks.

Disney, in an effort to keep these balloons out of the park, sends out cast members with bouquets of Disney balloons, and offers to trade a Disney balloon for the union balloon. Guests are not required to make the trade, but since the Disney balloons are either Mickey-shaped or Mickey-print, it's pretty clear that little kids - the usual recipients of the union balloon - are going to want to trade for a bigger and/or prettier Disney balloon. The union balloons are taken to a trash can and popped. It sounded like there were fireworks going off in the Esplanade today with all the balloons being popped at times.

The second protest is new to me, and involves union representatives - dressed as Disney characters - handing out a flyer that warns that "Places like DISNEYLAND are magnets for 'pedophiles' " (I'm not sure why they've put the word "pedophiles" in quotes). The flyer, which is printed in English and Spanish, goes on to warn that there are 23 registered sex offenders living in Disneyland's Zip code (BTW, there are 51 in Knott's Berry Farm's Zip code), and telling parents to keep their children close.

When I posted the photo of the flyer to Twitter Friday, I asked if Local 11 had gone too far. The response ranged from "a bit too far" to "creepy and misleading," though one person said that having the Anaheim PD called 64 times between 2005-2010 to Disneyland to investigate "sex offenses" (as is claimed on the flyer) is too much.

What are your thoughts? Is this too much, or are Local 11's tactics justified in this contract dispute?

AVP

Sleeping Beauty's mom
10-16-2010, 07:20 AM
this is too much !!!! what does that have to do with contract negotiations ?? If I was a member of that union, I would stop paying my dues and send the money elsewhere. They aren't representing the workers, they just doing shenanigans.

And FTR I actually do belong to an union at my work.

jcatron243
10-16-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm a union member. I believe totally in unions as a way to protect workers and workers rights.

It seems, (as a reader and in know way knowing first hand knowledge) that this union is not concerened with the workers rights.

OK, I can see a baloon that says the locals name, but not anti-disney slogan. I don't get where they are going with the flyers. Its time for them to stop with these childish tactics and do real negotiations.

foolishmortal
10-16-2010, 07:50 AM
way too far! Just makes the general public resent unions even more.

The workers need to unite against this union and find new reps. Or offer to negotiate(sp?) their own contracts individually.

It can be done.

adriennek
10-16-2010, 08:07 AM
If Local 11 spent half the time and energy negotiating with Disney as it does with these protests, their members would have had a contract years ago when their previous contract expired.

Adrienne

Drince88
10-16-2010, 08:27 AM
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that people who want to prey on kids would congregate where kids congregate. Is this any worse than the local mall? Or the beach? 1 call a month?

And everyone is going to die (at some point)

And this has ANYTHING to do with the union or their negotiations with Disney? Are they trying to get better security for late-night staff going to their cars? Does Disney purposefully hire pedophiles (or "pedophiles") that the union has to accept into their membership?

cstephens
10-16-2010, 08:38 AM
It really just shows how desperate the union is. And how much it's not about the workers they are supposed to represent. I would be appalled if a union that claimed to represent me did something like this.

AVP
10-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Knott's Berry Farm shares a Zip code with 51 registered offenders. There are 41 in my city - I'd better move.

Lilo143stitch
10-16-2010, 11:03 AM
I have yet to be there on a day when the union is out which is probably good because i might have a thing or two to say. They are way out of line...

Tinker44
10-16-2010, 11:37 AM
:mad:
That is completely outrageous. Using scare tactics against the public is NOT the way to garner sympathy for ANY cause. I don't even agree with the balloons, but at least its a passive-aggressive tactic... this is just aggressive and obnoxious and frankly should be illegal.

I think in general, Unions serve a purpose and do look out for their membership... but not this union. I would be ashamed to be associated with them.

DaDuckFan1955
10-16-2010, 12:35 PM
this scare tactic is not something that a valid union would use, as it could backfire and reduce attendance drastically and thereby reduce jobs for employees, how any Disney employee could be a member is what scares me as a visitor!!!

Disney should immediately sue all the union officers and members of this misleading Union (Unite 11 HA!) and have them barred from even being close to any Disney property for such slimy gutter tactics..

They by their actions are proving to everyone they don't care at all about jobs, unless it is to reduce the number of jobs available! This union makes the Teamsters union look like choirboys!

K & S
10-16-2010, 05:00 PM
This is way way over the line! I'm going to write the union and tell them how offensive I find this tactic to be.

:mad:

dznyphreak
10-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Their tactics are awful, uncalled-for and serve no purpose as far as helping their members goes.

Out of curiosity, what CM's does Unite HERE Local 11 represent?

twindaddy
10-16-2010, 06:31 PM
As a union memeber, I find these tactic just shameful. Terrible.

Disney gets THOUSANDS of visitors a day, if you counted unique visits (how many different people visited overall, not counting multiples), I would be it is well into the millions. Many many millions, and they count 64 in five years alot?

Compare that to a mall or city park, and its probably pretty good.

Shameful.

adriennek
10-16-2010, 07:35 PM
First off, it doesn't say that there WERE any sex offenses, just that they were called out to investigate.

I'm curious what a "sex offense" would be. Would that include cases where a couple is caught doing something in public that they shouldn't? Because they're saying "pedophiles" but there's no evidence that any of the 64 calls to investigate had anything to do with pedophilia.

Adrienne

3Princesses1Prince
10-16-2010, 07:45 PM
This is totally out of line. DH gave the guy passing out union flyers the 3rd degree last year. As a union rep, this would absolutely infuriate him.

sjhanksaz
10-16-2010, 08:00 PM
And once again I ask myself again, "why is it that I do not really care for unions?

twindaddy
10-16-2010, 09:04 PM
And once again I ask myself again, "why is it that I do not really care for unions?

Dont judge unions based on this idiocy. They obviously care little for the welfare of their members.

Jodi
10-16-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm curious what a "sex offense" would be. Would that include cases where a couple is caught doing something in public that they shouldn't? Because they're saying "pedophiles" but there's no evidence that any of the 64 calls to investigate had anything to do with pedophilia.

Adrienne

As per the information on the Megan's Law website, some of the registered sex offenders were for "public acts" and some of them were young guys charged with having sex with a minor, that I am guessing often amounted to an 18 year old boy and an underage girlfriend.

I think this union is ridiculous. If I truly believed, as an employee, that my employer was truly as bad as they are making Disney out to be, I would not want my union to fight dirty for me, I would want to get the heck out of there! I belong to the teacher's union, can you imagine if my union did this? You better not let your kids go to school, there may be "pedophiles" lurking around the school!

BlkPearlCptn
10-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Last time I was at the parks the union was out in front protesting and with flyers. People were trying to ignore them, but two of the union reps there would start cussing out the people ignoring them and even dropped the "f" bomb a number of times. It was disgusting.

Disneylandfanguy
10-16-2010, 09:42 PM
I agree, those fliers are going way too far.

JunJunM3
10-16-2010, 10:39 PM
They have definitely gone too far with this latest tactic. It amazes me that they don't realize that all they've done is get even more people to go against their cause. It's unions like this that give other unions-the well run, upstanding, and respectful ones-a bad rap.

TRON
10-17-2010, 07:50 AM
What do they really hope to get accomplished by using these tactics?:confused:

Seems to me that Local 11 is run by children (children are smarter than this) or complete idiots because this has nothing to do with the bottom-line of contract negotiations. Do they (Local 11) really believe that this will be the "silver bullet" and make Disney go ok you win, we will sign whatever you want just please stop.
Seriously they need new leadership someone who knows how to run a Union correctly at the negations table not at the park.

Sure hold up a sign in front of the entrance to the DLR walkway or the parking structure in protest of contract negations but leave it at that. The guest won’t sympathies with Local 11 once you get in their face and become belligerent or use cheap and disgusting tactics that has nothing to do with anything. The guests are going to the DLR for escapism, not to go and hear and see disputes and/or receive flyers about pedophiles. Why stop there why not hand out flyers about terrorism too while you’re at it.

Common sense for any guest will tell you to watch your children when you go out to a public place in this day and age, a flyer is not necessary. Unless pedophiles are exclusive to DLR only……which they are not.