PDA

View Full Version : CA Screamin' vs Space Mtn?

Pages : [1] 2

Alpha1mom
04-16-2003, 03:14 PM
Hi,
I'd like to hear some opinions about CA Screamin' vs Space Mtn-

Which do you like best and why?

If someone can handle Space Mtn, could they handle Screamin?
I've done Space Mtn which is my limit for coasters but I haven't had the guts to do Screamin, what do ya'all think?

Thanks!!

Alpha1mom

Toady The Eighth
04-16-2003, 03:17 PM
*Whew* This is a toughy.

I like Screamin better right now. It's a smoother coaster, it has a great start, and I like the fresh air, and the music.

However when the music is working on Space Mountain, it's one of my favorite rides.... Without the music I just get sick.

This is a tough call but I'm going to say even with the music working on Space Mountain, I like California Screamin better!:D

refurbmike
04-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Alpha, I know exactly how you feel. I hate coasters. Space is also my limit. I won't go on Screaming - loops and drops are not my thing.

However, that doesn't help you. Here's what I think will: Screaming is supposed to be smoothe and a nice ride, but it lacks theming. This is another thing I don't like about it - it's just another coaster, while Space was a trip through the cosmos. :)

Ghoulish Delight
04-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Personal opinion-wise, Space Mountain hands down. Faster, sharper turns, sudden drops, immersive theme.

Intensity-wise, if you can handle Space, you should be able to handle Screamin' Loops seem scary if you've never been on one, but they really aren't. It's over in a flash. And the rest of the ride is very smooth and gentle, as others have pointed out. Nothing like the body wrenching sharp turns or stomach dropping sudden drops of Space (:crying: I miss it already :crying: )

innerSpaceman
04-16-2003, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Nothing like the ... stomach dropping sudden drops of Space (:crying: I miss it already :crying: )
Um, I think you missed experiencing those stomach dropping sudden drops. What drops would those be exactly?

There was one, piddly drop on the entire coaster, akin to the the "there's nothing in here but bees" drop on Splash (but without the up part after the down part). I am not a big fan of drops myself (and the far bigger drops on 'Screamin' are about the limit of what I can handle dropwise nowadays), but Space Mountain was a coaster in desperate need of a few good drops.

By contrast, the original Florida Space Mountain has a couple of really cool drops. (But nothing beats the wild turns of Anaheim's Space Mountain. Now if they could only put in just one more left turn on the re-do.)

Ghoulish Delight
04-16-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Um, I think you missed experiencing those stomach dropping sudden drops. What drops would those be exactly?

There was one, piddly drop on the entire coaster, akin to the the "there's nothing in here but bees" drop on Splash (but without the up part after the down part). I am not a big fan of drops myself (and the far bigger drops on 'Screamin' are about the limit of what I can handle dropwise nowadays), but Space Mountain was a coaster in desperate need of a few good drops.

By contrast, the original Florida Space Mountain has a couple of really cool drops. (But nothing beats the wild turns of Anaheim's Space Mountain. Now if they could only put in just one more left turn on the re-do.) Not even true. There's actually a point on Space that I get (got :( )air time on, right in the middle. I'm not talking drops from height. I'm talking at-speed small drops that take you out of your seat.

innerSpaceman
04-16-2003, 04:22 PM
Yes, that drop was fun and it did give you "air time." But that is only because you were not bolted to your seat with a shoulder restraint.

The drops on 'Screamin would give you air time that would bring you out of your seat so far that the coaster train would escape from you.

I, for one, will not bemoan the lack of loops or corkscrews on the "new" Space Mountain. I don't like being shoulder-harnessed into my seat. I will remain happy with the little drops that a lap bar will allow.

Mickeyslittlehelper
04-16-2003, 04:41 PM
In my opinion Disneyland and DCA are two different parks to me. There is no way I can chose between the two. They are both great roller coasters and from different eras, I cannot chose... They are excellant in their own park!

stinkerbell
04-16-2003, 04:48 PM
I like(d)/love(d) Space Mountain because of the shaky, uncertain feeling I got on the twists, drops (yes, I said drops), and turns. I liked that it was dark and still unpredictable to me after all these years. :) Space Mountain was like an old comfortable friend that honestly? I never got tired of. Nostalgia-wise, it will always be a favorite.

I like Screamin' for completely different reasons. It makes me want to laugh the entire time....and drool because I'm laughing. I love the take off, the loops are smooth, and it's a long, clean ride.

To choose between the two? I'd have to go with Space Mountain, definitely, although I truly like Screamin', I just don't LOVE it.

dsnylndmom
04-16-2003, 04:53 PM
Stinkerbell said it perfectly for me! I'll just ditto what she said!;)

Uncle Dick
04-16-2003, 05:15 PM
Space Mountain, without a doubt. While Screamin' is more "thrilling" as far as speed and intensity are concerned, Space Mountain is more of an adventure.

From the very beginning of the indoor queue, you are transported into an eerie (before the TVs and robot were installed), somewhat sterile spaceport right out of 2001. The attraction itself is very exciting, especially in the front row because you really don't know what's coming next (especially if you just fastpassed the attraction on a blindingly bright summer day).

Screamin' pretty much just lays it all out there for you. It's fun, but by no means the adventure that awaits you inside Space Mountain.

scaeagles
04-16-2003, 06:20 PM
I love both parks. I love coasters, too. Both SM and CS are fun, but I wouldn't consider them great coasters. CS has a fun launch, but as someone else said, SM is a better experience. I go with SM.

I don't think any Disney property will ever offer a great coaster. Nor do I think they necessarily should make that a goal - it's not really what they do. That's more a 6 Flags thing. I love rides that push the envelope, but those will never be at a Disney resort.

Regarding pushing the envelope - I subscribe to Popular Science, and if anyone wants to see some stuff that pushes the envelope, get the April issue. At Cedar Pt in Ohio they are scheduled to open one this May that goes 0-120 in 4 seconds and goes to an altitude of 420, going basically straight up and then straight back down!

rexfarms
04-16-2003, 06:37 PM
Some agrue even if Screamin' really is an E-Ticket.

screamin4ever
04-16-2003, 07:22 PM
Screamin' isn't "just another coaster." The thing I like about it most is the length of the ride and variety of elements. It is NOT "X"-treme. Thank God. It is much more intense than Space Mountain in terms of "G" forces but so much fun. Loops are no big deal. In fact, Screamin' would be just fine without it in my opinion. Make your first ride the very front. I never ride in another seat. Just wear sunglasses. Otherwise your likely to have tears streaking towards your ears! The Camel backs a one of my favorite parts. So much fun!

Hey, my name is Screamin4ever. What else am I going to say.

Space Mountain was in need of closure. Here's hoping the new version will be more than has been rumored.

Toady The Eighth
04-17-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by rexfarms
Some agrue even if Screamin' really is an E-Ticket.

Hmmm... I'd like to argue with those people... It's one thing to like Space Mountain better, but to argue that Screamin isn't an E-Ticket? Have these people even experienced Screamin?

I would love it if they would put a coaster like Screamin in the setting on Space Mountain... that would be awesome.

merlinjones
04-17-2003, 09:35 AM
For me there is absolutely no comparison at all between the two.

Space Mountain is a beautifully designed, classic ride, an immersive place and time beyond our reality and a smooth flight with just the right amount of twists and drops and surprises. The dark space and breezes and lights and sounds coalesce into a experience that is more than the sum of its g forces. For me, this is one of the most elegant designs for a coaster ever devised. I like it much better than WDW's, which didn't impress me at all and even DLP's, which is more thrilling, but far more harsh and inelegant than Dl's Space. I'm glad the original layout is being retained here.

Screamin', however fun, is just unmemorable as an experience. It's a nice midrange coaster, but not at all thrilling or interestingly paced. It pales in comparison to the truly great local coasters like Ghost Rider and Colossus. I don't get excited to ride on it... it's fun, that's it. I think the tacky design of the surroundings doesn't help much either and I really hate that loud creepy psycho carnival synthesiser music with a passion. But, like most recent offerings at Disney, it seems designed by committee and doesn't really do much of what it's supposed to in terms of thrill or emotional payoff.

rexfarms
04-17-2003, 07:09 PM
The person who argued if it was a Disney "vet". He comes from the age of Walt where themeing was a must...

ErikBsandiego
04-18-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by scaeagles
I don't think any Disney property will ever offer a great coaster. Nor do I think they necessarily should make that a goal - it's not really what they do. That's more a 6 Flags thing. I love rides that push the envelope, but those will never be at a Disney resort.

Hmmm....have you riden the Rock'n'rollercoaster? It has a VERY good 360 moving into a corkscrew element right after the launch (least I think that is what it is doing since it happens in near total darkness :D

rexfarms
04-18-2003, 09:45 AM
I agree that RNRC was amazing.

DisneyFan25863
04-18-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by ErikBsandiego
Hmmm....have you riden the Rock'n'rollercoaster? It has a VERY good 360 moving into a corkscrew element right after the launch (least I think that is what it is doing since it happens in near total darkness :D

I do not like that ride :eek: It gave me a headache for the rest of my trip after I rode it :(

IMHO, Space wins hands down ;)

rexfarms
04-18-2003, 09:54 AM
For sure Space wins, but as for the comment that was made that RnRC isnt a good coaster, I have to say, think again.;) (IMHO)

DisneyFan25863
04-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by rexfarms
For sure Space wins, but as for the comment that was made that RnRC isnt a good coaster, I have to say, think again.;) (IMHO)

Oh, I didn't say it wasn't a good coaster, it's just that I won't ride it again due to the injuries it gave me. ;)

Bill Catherall
04-18-2003, 10:00 AM
For me it all comes down to what I'm willing to "pay" for each ride. The "payment" we make to ride is the wait in line. If you are willing to wait 90 minutes for Space Mountain (no FP, just Stand-By wait times) but a 60 minute wait on Screamin' causes you to turn away, then Space is the better one.

For me, the max Stand-By time I'd wait for Space is 45 minutes. For Screamin' it's 30 minutes. Therefore, Space wins.

However, I do really like Screamin's drops and the camel backs. You get great air time on the camel backs. But the loop is really tame. I've been on looped coasters where you feel 0 Gs at the top. You don't get that on Screamin'.

Why would I "pay" an extra 15 minutes for Space even though the coaster seems mild in comparison? The theming.

rexfarms
04-18-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Oh, I didn't say it wasn't a good coaster, it's just that I won't ride it again due to the injuries it gave me. ;)

Alright I see what your saying, I suggest you ride again. Sometimes coaster make me feel sick, but I go on them again(on another visit) and I love it. It made me feel good not sick. Try again if you want, I would. :)

scaeagles
04-18-2003, 11:34 AM
I'll admit I have not been on RNRC (I assume it is in Orlando?). But Disney isn't known for great coasters and never will be. It's not their thing, and that's OK.