PDA

View Full Version : Furama Hotel in LA

tabacco
04-16-2003, 02:12 AM
Hey, this is a little offtopic, but I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the Furama Hotel in LA. I'm heading down to SoCal for e3 and a side trip to DLR, but since e3 is the primary focus of my trip I'm staying further north, where I have absolutely 0 hotel experience. Reading the description on expedia.com makes it look pretty nice, but of course that's no substitute for really being there :)

(It's a little north of LAX on Manchester, btw... not in line with any of the LAX runways ;))

MickeyD
04-16-2003, 08:24 AM
I've never stayed there myself, but my mom stayed there once a week for 3 years while she was working on getting her Master's degree at LMU, so it must be an ok place, she's pretty picky.

IndianaJenn
04-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Isn't E3 at the LA Convention Center? The Furama Hotel is easily a 30/45 minute drive from there. It looks okay .... isn't in the best area ... but will be really inconvenient if you plan to be at the convention center a lot.

disneyscott
04-16-2003, 08:40 AM
the hotel was great 5 to 10 years ago (when they took the picture) but now is is just ok. And it will be about a 45 min.-1 hour drive.

Uncle Dick
04-16-2003, 08:48 AM
I stayed there a few years ago, back when it was still the Airport Marina Hotel. IIRC, it was a pretty nice place. My fondest memory was watching Spielberg's "Duel" in the exercise room while running on a treadmill.

uberfrau
04-16-2003, 08:50 AM
I live right around there. I've heard good things about the hotel and their rates seem more than reasonable, given the location. However, they were using it as dorms last year while they built new LMU dorms. I don't know if there are still students living in it fulltime. Might want to ask about it. Hope thats helpful!

tabacco
04-16-2003, 09:21 AM
Cool, thanks. The reason I'm staying so far from the convention center is that the rest of my party are staying in Santa Monica and I'm supposed to hel them out with rides. Besides, there isn't a lot for that low of a price anywhere near the convention center.