PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Jets

merlinjones
04-15-2003, 10:49 PM
I counted like six of the old Rocket Jets in that Premiere store now - - They look complete and unharmed. How many were there total? Are therest still around? Since the mechanism is still up there... we're talking just attaching them, adding the elevator and gates - - to bring the original back up again. Two sets of rockets in Tomorrowland - - one up high where it belongs - - would be so cool!

ryguy
04-15-2003, 10:53 PM
totally agree bro, the height added a bigger thrill too

Uncle Dick
04-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
I counted like six of the old Rocket Jets in that Premiere store now - - They look complete and unharmed. How many were there total?
From this picture (http://www.yesterland.com/images-tomorrowland/rocketjets.jpeg) it looks like there were 12.

Are therest still around?
There are at least two more rockets still sitting in the Rocket Rods/Circlevision queue. Aside from a new paint job, they should be ready to go. I'd assume the rest are in storage somewhere.

Two sets of rockets in Tomorrowland - - one up high where it belongs - - would be so cool!
As cool as it would look, I really wonder if money, even a small amount, should be spent on another spinner ride for Tommorrowland. I'd rather see Circlevision and the Subs up and running or a new paint job given to the land before we start duplicating rides.

Morrigoon
04-15-2003, 11:45 PM
Aww.. did THAT bring up memories! It used to be so cool to ride those up high while a rock band played in TLT below!

Rallymonkey23
04-16-2003, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
this picture (http://www.yesterland.com/images-tomorrowland/rocketjets.jpeg)

:crying:

I want my rockets back! And white too btw!:crying:

merlinjones
04-16-2003, 07:23 AM
>>As cool as it would look, I really wonder if money, even a small amount, should be spent on another spinner ride for Tommorrowland. I'd rather see Circlevision and the Subs up and running or a new paint job given to the land before we start duplicating rides.<<

While I totally agree with your priority list, the Rocket Jets were not just another spinner ride, but the visual centerpiece of Tomorrowland. As such, they're importance is far beyong their function. As long as that hunk of detritus/junk/debris (Observatron) is sitting lifeless at the core of Tomorrowland, the land will continue to look dead and abandoned.

I feel it's vital to get this additional incremental cost of reopening Rocket Jets going along with Subs and CircleVision for the first quick fix. Then the PeopleMover and Carousel...

It's the lifeblood eye candy of Tomorrowland.

scaeagles
04-16-2003, 07:36 AM
What were the movies that showed in the circlevision? I remember one on China, I think, but I'm a bit fuzzy. I don't recall them being about subjects that dealt with the future. If I recall correctly, why was it considered such a central point of tomorrow land? Just because of the filming tech?

merlinjones
04-16-2003, 07:59 AM
>>What were the movies that showed in the circlevision? I remember one on China, I think, but
I'm a bit fuzzy. I don't recall them being about subjects that dealt with the future. If I recall
correctly, why was it considered such a central point of tomorrow land? Just because of the filming tech?<<

The filming/projection format would have been considered futuristic when it was first developed. It was a one-up on the popular Cinerama travelogues of the 50's (three panels only).

In Disneyland, CircleVision films have included:

America the Beautiful
American Journeys
Wonders of China

others:

Magic Carpet 'Round the World
O Canada

Tref
04-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
The filming/projection format would have been considered futuristic when it was first developed. It was a one-up on the popular Cinerama travelogues of the 50's (three panels only).

In Disneyland, CircleVision films have included:

America the Beautiful
American Journeys
Wonders of China

others:

Magic Carpet 'Round the World
O Canada [/B]

There were actually a few others that are rarely mentioned due, perhaps, to their unpopularity at the time. Those Circlevision films include

- Color! Color! Color! (regretably, filmed in black and white)
- A World of Hats!
- The Wonders of China Grove, NC
- The Sounds of Love
- American Beef

I say, bring 'em back!

I remain,

DisneyFan25863
04-16-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Tref
Color! Color! Color! (regretably, filmed in black and white)

Ummmmm....Never Mind :D

merlinjones
04-16-2003, 11:32 AM
...And a few CircleVision films under consideration by Disney today:

Disney Store Around the World!

O Princess!

Stockholder's Report: Disney's Big Beautiful Tomorrow

Yesterday's Tomorrowland

Spare the Magic: Maximizing Profit by Minimizing Expectations Walt's Way

The Michael Eisner Story

Winnie-the-Pooh and Family Products for the Home Too!

Circle of Lives: Non Traditional Families Share their Dreams of the Future

Corporate America, the Beautiful

merlinjones
04-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Circle Jerks: The Team Disney Story

innerSpaceman
04-16-2003, 02:43 PM
Hey, don't derail this Rocket Jets thread with CircleVision crap. Derail the Skyway thread or something. Better yet, let's just go on and create a different thread for every single former Tomorrowland Attraction.

But leave the Rocket Jets thread alone long enough for me to relay my favorite Rocket Jets memory. (And then I will use the other threads to relay my favorite memory of every former TLand attraction.)

It was Disneyland's 30th Birthday in 1985, and the park was open for a fabulous 30 hour party. We had stayed up all night in the Park having fun. At dawn, we hit the Rocket Jets. Since we were, like, the only 6 people left in the park, the operator let us ride and ride and ride, around and around as the sun came up over Disneyland for a full 45 minutes!

The aerial view of Disneyland that day was like none other. 30 tremendous "birthday candles," made from towers of helium balloons, towered over Main Street. And the glorious rainbow of light that arched over the entire Magic Kingdom from the parking lot to Storybookland slowly faded as the night sky turned to daylight, putting an end to the most amazing effect I have ever seen at Disneyland.

45 minutes of sheer bliss as a crowning end to the one of the best and most beautiful nights in Disneyland history !!

merlinjones
04-16-2003, 02:48 PM
Wow. I was there too (not in the rockets, tho). Thanks for reminding me how great that all nighter experience was.