PDA

View Full Version : Disney as evil empire

carsoni
04-15-2003, 08:54 PM
On another forum I encountered the "Disney is Evil" theory and some links to sites which support this philosophy. Among the issues were ongoing discrimination in hiring and poor treatment of employees. The most absurd accusation was that Disney discriminates against homosexuals (ha, DL would shut down in a day if that were true).

There was also the concern that accidents at the parks go unreported with the threat of termination if CM's disobey.

I wondered if there are any CM's or others who believe there is truth to these accusations, if they feel opressed or that they can't speak out about problems at Disney.

DisneyFan25863
04-15-2003, 09:01 PM
You mean like THIS? (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15450)

Not Afraid
04-15-2003, 09:02 PM
As with every successful organization, there are those that feel the need to balance out success with stories or horror and distaste. I'm sure one or two of these things are true - on one or two occasions, but I really can't accept a blanket statement.

I met someone recently who tried to convince me that Disney was a satanic organization and promoted "evil".

Whatever.:rolleyes:

DisneyFan25863
04-15-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I met someone recently who tried to convince me that Disney was a satanic organization and promoted "evil".

Right. Making little kids dreams come true and creating magical memories is "satanic" and "evil" :rolleyes:

Of course, each to his own :cool:

Not Afraid
04-15-2003, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Right. Making little kids dreams come true and creating magical memories is "satanic" and "evil" :rolleyes:

Of course, each to his own :cool:

From what I could tell, it was something about Fantasia and all of that "mythology" that was giving Disney the "evil" tag.

I found it hard to understand myself, so I'm not sure I can do his explaination justice.

MammaSilva
04-15-2003, 09:32 PM
:rolleyes:

rexfarms
04-15-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by mammasilva
:rolleyes:

Undoubtedly. I had a teacher that said when asked about the Resort: "Why should I go to a place owned by a company that claims to support family equality?" (something like that) then going on to talk about how she loves watching Disney's Peter Pan with her neice. Brilliant.

So mammasilva, you were correct with the :rolleyes: statement.

Rustin
04-15-2003, 11:32 PM
Well sure disney has an evil underbelly...

but it's all here... in mickeys imagination...
*sings* iiimagination... dream of fantastic dreams... use your imagination..
(cue the water screens)

The Mouse has got it under control.

rexfarms
04-15-2003, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Kuzcotopian
Well sure disney has an evil underbelly...

but it's all here... in mickeys imagination...
*sings* iiimagination... dream of fantastic dreams... use your imagination..
(cue the water screens)

The Mouse has got it under control.
Not until this summer. ;)

Uncle Dick
04-15-2003, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by carsoni
There was also the concern that accidents at the parks go unreported with the threat of termination if CM's disobey.
Actually, CMs can be terminated if they don't report accidents. Every CM working area has one of those nifty "Day without an accident" boards which track the most recent mishaps.

Of course, because of the efficiency of the operation, most of the accidents occur unbeknownst to the paying public, but that doesn't mean they're not being properly taken care of.

PhilMP
04-16-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
Actually, CMs can be terminated if they don't report accidents. Every CM working area has one of those nifty "Day without an accident" boards which track the most recent mishaps.

Of course, because of the efficiency of the operation, most of the accidents occur unbeknownst to the paying public, but that doesn't mean they're not being properly taken care of.

Hmmm...my working areas don't, for good reason.

But seriously, we're getting a lot better. :)

Phil

Polar33
04-16-2003, 02:51 AM
Originally posted by PhilMP
Hmmm...my working areas don't, for good reason.

But seriously, we're getting a lot better. :)

Or so they claim. Personally I think that most people just don't want to hike all the way out to CFA anymore.

Originally posted by carsoni
I wondered if there are any CM's or others who believe there is truth to these accusations, if they feel opressed or that they can't speak out about problems at Disney
I'd love to say something about that...but Disney won't let me. ;) Seriously though, what company would approve of one of their employees going around on the internet talking about the problems there?