PDA

View Full Version : Angels sold for 180 million - spend it on Disneyland!!

merlinjones
04-15-2003, 04:39 PM
Disney just sold the Anaheim Angels for $180 million dollars. Since the sports were part of the parks division, and this money had been part of the Anaheim Resort - - this windfall is perfectly timed to reinvest in Anaheim's Disneyland for its 50th Anniversary!

I say - - plow ALL that cash back into the park to freshen it up overall, fix Pooh, do all the painting and maintenence, restore Tomorrowland and all of Disneyland's other missed attractions completely... and to build one great new E Ticket!

Andrew
04-15-2003, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Disney just sold the Anaheim Angels for $180 million dollars. Since the sports were part of the parks division, and this money had been part of the Anaheim Resort - - this windfall is perfectly timed to reinvest in Anaheim's Disneyland for its 50th Anniversary!

I say - - plow ALL that cash back into the park to freshen it up overall, fix Pooh, do all the painting and maintenence, restore Tomorrowland and all of Disneyland's other missed attractions completely... and to build one great new E Ticket!

That's not even as much as Eisner's bonus for last year, is it? :(

Mickeyslittlehelper
04-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Sounds good! :)

Pirate Girl
04-15-2003, 04:52 PM
Yes! Now they have no excuse! At least some of that money must be profit! Use it to paint EVERYTHING IN THE PARK!

DisneyFan25863
04-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Who did they sell it too?

Whoever it is....This is GREAT!!!! :D ;)

LifelongAngelsFan
04-15-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Who did they sell it too?

Whoever it is....This is GREAT!!!! :D ;)

Atruro Moreno, a Phoenix businessman who was part of owner of the Diamondbacks and is part owner of the Phoenix Suns.

merlinjones
04-15-2003, 05:13 PM
Tony posted this at Business of Magic:

>>Disney plans to sell Angels to Moreno -- sources - Reuters, 4/15/03

QuikQuote: Disney has reached a tentative deal to sell its Anaheim Angels baseball team for about $180 million to a Mexican-American billboard magnate who aims to attract more Latinos to watch the defending World Series champs, people close to the situation said on Tuesday. Moreno's bid appears to have edged out separate offers from Boston real estate developer Frank McCourt and members of the Nederlander family, the theater impresarios who have worked closely with Disney on various productions, these people said.<<

LifelongAngelsFan
04-15-2003, 05:17 PM

I've been waiting for this announcement for months. This must be a big disappointment to Eisner, as Disney will lose over $100 million dollars on the Angels investment. They had hoped to get around $250 for the Angels. However, the poor economy combined with the down market for sports franchises made this impossible. Disney realized that the Angels were a sunk cost and by keeping them longer only meant that there loses would increase.

Over the past few months I've been contemplating how the proceeds would be used. Ideally, all of it would go to the DLR. Unfortunately, all the proceeds go into the Disney kitty and can be spent on any Disney project. Who knows if any of it will be spent on DLR.

Morrigoon
04-15-2003, 05:37 PM
We all know where it's really going: Mikey's Money Bin.

KateyMcButterpants
04-15-2003, 05:41 PM
Tony posted this at Business of Magic:

>>Disney plans to sell Angels to Moreno -- sources - Reuters, 4/15/03

QuikQuote: Disney has reached a tentative deal to sell its Anaheim Angels baseball team for about $180 million to a Mexican-American billboard magnate who aims to attract more Latinos to watch the defending World Series champs, people close to the situation said on Tuesday. Moreno's bid appears to have edged out separate offers from Boston real estate developer Frank McCourt and members of the Nederlander family, the theater impresarios who have worked closely with Disney on various productions, these people said.<<

That's interesting. I know that the San Diego Padres are also actively courting the Hispanic market. That is why the Padres had an Opening Day in Mexico a couple of years ago. Considering how many players are Latino now, it is a good idea.

I hope Disney plows that money back into the park, too.

Rallymonkey23
04-15-2003, 09:00 PM
I dont get it. There are plenty hispanic people that go to the games. I think its great that he wants to get more Hispanics to the games. I just hope he doesn't bring a mariachi band to do this. THAT to me will just ruin any feel of being at a baseball game.

DaddyB
04-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by 100thGrimGrinningGhost
Yes! Now they have no excuse! At least some of that money must be profit! Use it to paint EVERYTHING IN THE PARK!

PAINT THE CASTLE GOLD!!!!!

(heh heh heh)

DaddyB
04-15-2003, 11:05 PM
fiber-opticize it, too!

DaddyB
04-15-2003, 11:06 PM
ohh! ooh!

dingleballs!

yeah, yeah!

dingleballs!

merlinjones
04-15-2003, 11:07 PM
With all that money, somone can pay off the marketing chix NOT to have the castle painted gold!!!