PDA

View Full Version : Imported rides for Tomorrowland

California Aggie
04-15-2003, 03:40 PM
All this talk about the two year closure of Space Mountain and the general decline of tomorrowland got me thinking, what attraction could Disney import from one of its other theme parks? Obviously I'd rather have unique rides, but seeing as I won't probably be getting to Tokyo soon it would be neat if some of the DisneySea rides were brought in. Even the Aquatopia, while simple, looks more futuristic than Autopia. Mission: Space from Epcot would also be cool although it'd compete with the space theme already covered by Space Mountain and Star Tours.

Toady The Eighth
04-15-2003, 03:48 PM
Hmmm... Well hopefully, we wouldn't get a crappy re-make of the ride, like we did with Pooh.:rolleyes:

merlinjones
04-15-2003, 04:33 PM
>>All this talk about the two year closure of Space Mountain and the general decline of tomorrowland got me thinking, what attraction could Disney import from one of its other theme parks? Obviously I'd rather have unique rides, but seeing as I won't probably be getting to Tokyo soon it would be neat if some of the DisneySea rides were brought in. Even the Aquatopia, while simple, looks more futuristic than Autopia. Mission: Space from Epcot would also be cool although it'd compete with the space theme already covered by Space Mountain and
Star Tours.<<

Nautilus walkthru (DL, DLP)
Aquatopia (TDS)
20,000 Leagues dry (TDS)
Submarine Voyage (DL)/ 20,000 Leagues wet (WDW)
Adventure Thru Inner Space (DL)
Horizons (Epcot)
Flying Saucers (DL)
Carousel of Progress (WDW)
CircleVision (DL)
Mission: Space (Epcot)
CyberSpace Mountain (DisneyQuest)
Journey to the Center of the Earth (TDS)
Rocket Jets (DL)
PeopleMover (DL, WDW)
Skyway (DL, WDW)

mousketeer
04-15-2003, 05:11 PM
It needs to be something unique like a people mover, circle-vision, or carousel of progress. Since COP is closed 95% of the year, and since there is a perfect spot at Disneyland, I really think it should be shipped out here.

merlinjones
04-15-2003, 05:17 PM
>>It needs to be something unique like a people mover, circle-vision, or carousel of progress.
Since COP is closed 95% of the year, and since there is a perfect spot at Disneyland, I really
think it should be shipped out here.<<

I agree. Carousel is historic. It's fun. It's DL theatre still exists and has nothing of import inside. It belongs "home" at Walt's park.

innerSpaceman
04-15-2003, 07:47 PM
They should bring to Anaheim every single shuttered Epcot attraction.

Starting with HORIZONS.

(Horizons = Tomorrowland)

mrfantasmic
04-15-2003, 09:36 PM
Test Track (yes, bank the Rocket Rods track and use the old vehicles... they sounded cool)

California Aggie
04-15-2003, 10:36 PM
oh yes, i forgot about test track! I think that would make a cool replacement for Rocket Rods / People Mover. They'd just need to make it a little more futuristic looking.

ryguy
04-15-2003, 10:41 PM
For now they can refurbish the rocket rod track back to the peoplemover track and that goin again they can even update the tron tunnel to tron 2.0 for the new game coming out

Germboy
04-16-2003, 02:03 PM
What about Mission to Mars merlin? Make it a black hole or something funky that would catch everyone off guard. Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a movie in the 70's about a black hole that was a DISNEY film (with Maximillian Schell, Schnell whatever his name was...) I remember being completely absorbed by that movie (no pun intended) and I think the company forgot it made it.

merlinjones
04-16-2003, 02:10 PM
>>What about Mission to Mars merlin? <<

I see Star Tours as the modern equivalent of MtM. It's a simulated space flight experience and fills that same need/niche.

>>Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there a movie in the 70's about a black hole that was a DISNEY film (with Maximillian Schell, Schnell whatever his name was...) I remember being completely absorbed by that movie (no pun intended) and I think the company forgot it made it.<<

Disney's The Black Hole (1979) is available on Anchor Bay Home Video (it was liscensed out).

I think TRON offers a lot more visual possibilities, but I'd love to go on a Black Hole ride myself!

Germboy
04-16-2003, 02:22 PM
I disagree. Mission to Mars was educational and filled with facts, even though some of them were stretched. Star Tours does no such thing. Not an iota of educational value, unless you want to be educated on George Lucas' movies.

I think that the educational part of Disneyland is being lost. Think about ATIS, MtM, COP, AS, Circlevision, Subs, etc etc. Every one had some degree of educational value. Even those rides with no apparent educational value (Skyway, Monorail, Peoplemover, Autopia, and the like) had intrinsic educational value because they demonstrated methods of transportation that were unavailable to the average person in the 50's and 60's.

The only education in TL today is in corporate display cases, driven by the need to keep sponsors on board.

jrad32
04-16-2003, 02:51 PM
A Black hole ride could be cool, with that big red robot with the spinning blade hands.

ErikBsandiego
04-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by mrfantasmic
Test Track (yes, bank the Rocket Rods track and use the old vehicles... they sounded cool)

As a long time DL goer and a first time last week WDW visitor - Test Track is NOT that much fun. I love "thrill" rides but TT did little for me......

However TOT and RRC are GREAT rides!!! The first inversion in Rock and Rollercoaster is just fantastic!!!!

Actually an "attraction" that doesn't fit with ANY theme in DL (but which would be a great addition to the west coast park) is "The American Experience". The anamatronics are really good, the "script" well done, and the music is just fantastic. Maybe it is world events but I know I got misty eyed both times we saw the show at EPCOT.

parky_in_paris
04-18-2003, 03:33 AM
No one has mentioned Alien Encounter.
That could be installed in a number of areas in DL.

I think it's a great attraction, even though Eisner hates it.

chris7391
04-18-2003, 12:08 PM
"They should bring to Anaheim every single shuttered Epcot attraction.

Starting with HORIZONS.

(Horizons = Tomorrowland)"

I couldn't agree more innerSpaceman! Anyone know what became of the animatronic cast of Horizons?

tiggerandtink
04-20-2003, 11:32 AM
I also love Alien Encounter and was wondering how it was skipped on the above list. It would fit in perfect. I understand they are considering a Stitch theme for it now at MK, and I don't even have a problem with that, although it would make it a little cute and fuzzier. The other suggestions here are great though. Obviously Disney's version of 'Tomorrow' is slightly skewed so it makes perfect sense to incorporate 20+ year old movies into TL. Anything with Tron would be awesome. I am always amazed that they didn't use that movie in a more prominent way. It has a great fan base and the possibilities are endless. I had forgotten about 'The Black Hole' that could be really cool as well. The Disney vaults are stacked with movies that they could use, such as 'The Cat from Outerspace', 'The Absent-minded Professor', 'Toy Story' and 'Lilo and Stitch' just to name a few. Anything with science or space would do. Heck, anything would do really.

lazyboy97O
04-21-2003, 04:28 PM
I haven't been to Disneyland since '98 (right after the subs closed). But I have kept track of what going on and it seems that the Tomorrowland there has become nothing. So here is what I think Disneyland's tomorrowland needs.
Extra TERRORestrial Alien Encounter-it's a very good attraction

WEDway People Mover-Until last summer at WDW I never got to go on the PM because my parents said it was a waste and maybe then it was. Now with the FastPass it is a great place to go and sit while waiting for your timeslot on a busy day.

Subs-They were cool. I was very sad when they closed, even if they scared me.

CircleVision-That was really cool. Defenitly would need a new movie.

Astro Orbitor-Put it where it belongs, above the PM track. There is no reason to go if it's at groundlevel. It's just like Dumbo, but without the water.

Something New- The Imagineers made a name for themselves as being original thinkers. Now they need to do something original. Not this new future garbage, but the old future look where verything was white or crome. It may not be the real future, but Walt's idea is better.