PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain loop?

Mickeyslittlehelper
04-14-2003, 06:43 PM
I have heard a rumor that they might add in a loop to the re-make of space mountain, anybody know? What would you think if they did, would you like it? I am for a loop, i think it would make it more fun.

Thanks,
John

DisneyFan25863
04-14-2003, 06:44 PM
No. The track is going to stay the same ;) ;)

Laffite
04-14-2003, 06:53 PM
N O ! !

Not Afraid
04-14-2003, 07:00 PM
I have heard several times, and from different sources, that there will be an inversion and a corkscrew added, much like DLP.

Of course, I'd like to believe that....so I shall.:D

Ghoulish Delight
04-14-2003, 07:01 PM
Basically, during the early stages of planning and proposals, the pie in the sky plan for Space Mountain was to completely gut it, completely remove the queue/loading area and use it as track space, move the queue and loading to the old People Mover tower, have the rockets launch INTO the show building, and add a loop (or two) using the space gained by moving loading outside.

That was what Imagineers came up with when asked, "Assuming no budget or time constraint limitations...." But, of course, reality sets in. They desperately want it completed by the 50th, and they desperately would like to spend as little money as they can while still doing enough to entice people in. So the grandiose plans were scrapped. Every inch of the track is going to be replace because it is apparantly in terrible disrepair, but it will be replaced in the same layout with the same loading area. Some new visual effects may be in the plans. New rockets with a (hopefully) functioning sound system have already been built and are sitting backstage waiting for the reopening. Retheming has also been bandied about as a possibility, with early rumors saying a Stitch theme may be added. But that plan seems to have been taken off the table in favor of a more general "spacey" theme.

That's the whole story as it stands now, based on what's known to the public. No one knows all the plans (or lack thereof) behind the scenes, and even those plans are subject to change at a whim. We won't know the entire plan until 2005 when it opens (we hope).

SoCalDisneyLover
04-15-2003, 06:22 AM
If all they're doing is replacing the track, then why is it going to take 2 - 2 1/2 years? I could understand that length if it was going to be reconfigured, with new stuff added, but to just replace the track?

Other theme parks manage to build entire coasters in 6 months or less. I understand that DL is not "other theme parks," but 25 months just to put up Identical new track seems a bit nuts. Even if they are going to add some new fiber optics and digital technology, it seems a bit ridiculous.

DisneyFan25863
04-15-2003, 07:03 AM
They are also rebuliding the quene and loading area ;)

Ghoulish Delight
04-15-2003, 08:44 AM
Well, two things. Yes, they are going to retheme and rebuild the loading area. But, theoretically, there are a ton of other projects that they are going to be working on for the 50th. On top of that are all of the non-anniversary related refurbs and repairs that need to be made. It's not that Space itself will take 2 years worth of man hours. It's that there is so much else in need of repair that any repair time has to be stretched to accomodate the division of resources between all the projects.

That'd be my analysis, anyway.

innerSpaceman
04-15-2003, 11:29 AM
According to Kevin Yee's lasest miceage report, Space mountain originally took two years to build. Even though the exterior cone does not need rebuilding (though it certainly could use repainting), everything else has to be first demolished & hauled away, and then rebuilt from scratch. A comparable time frame to the original construction is therefore not out of the question.

refurbmike
04-16-2003, 10:30 AM
Also remember that Disney has more constraints to work with. They either have to remove the shell to have full accessibility to the track (which will take time, plus replacement), or they will work through a "hole in the wall" (which will take time to navigate).

Ace
04-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
They are also rebuliding the quene and loading area ;)

That's my favorite part of the new Space Mountain. The old queue was about as far from "Tomorrow" as it could be. It was so cheesy. I hope they give the CMs working there Jetson-esque costumes. That would be AWESOME!!!!!1

DisneyDustin22
04-16-2003, 01:45 PM
after a weekend getaway back to DL and a surprise closure of SM...i took the opportunity to chat with a CM at the entrance to space and he went into great detail of what was explained to the CM's about the closure...stating that the money given over for the refurb of space was much greater than originally planned, thus allowing for imagineers to green light "plan A" as he put it...thus completely removing all interior sections of the ride, i.e: the track, que and loading area...and coming out with a whole new experience when the ride opens in 2005...personally, i believe disney is smart enough to realize that a 2 1/2 year closure of one of the best rides in the park only to be re-opened as teh same thing, would be very dissapointing...all in all, i think we can all await a brand new space mountain in 2005...with or without a loop...no matter what, i think we will all be very impressed...(although im not holding my breath)

screamin4ever
04-16-2003, 07:31 PM
I'm guessing Jay Rasulo sees things very differently than the crew that proposed simple replacement with exact layout and themed overlay.

After all, he saw the DLP version before he laid eyes on ours with the silly string and strobe lights, malfunctioning speakers, and disco ball lighting effects. I'm guessing he has decided to fix it right. Tomorrowland is in desperate shape.

Baloo
04-16-2003, 07:58 PM
after reading the post about your conversation with the cm and the information just posted from someone that was in imagineering today has given me high hopes. according to the other topic at another website and th ebugdet information you gave here it does seem like the "a" project might have been approved and we might just be getting our Jule vernes launched coaster for Disneyland.

Brat
04-17-2003, 08:44 PM
That sounds so cool, I hope we get a great new Space Mountain (allthough I personally could go without the loop :eek: ) Whatever they do will have to be better than what we experienced on our last trip in February. :(

Ace
04-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Brat
That sounds so cool, I hope we get a great new Space Mountain (allthough I personally could go without the loop :eek: ) Whatever they do will have to be better than what we experienced on our last trip in February. :(
'

Me too... I think rides at Disneyland should rely mostly upon theming and atmosphere rather than thrills to be awesome. If you want a loop, send it across the esplenade.

tiggerandtink
04-20-2003, 11:41 AM
I'm loopy for loops. When we went to WDW and rode R&RRC I had no idea it had a loop until I was upside down in it. At that point I had not known that Disney would even consider adding one to a ride (pre-DCA) and love the idea. That being said, whatever they do during this rehab, I hope it is done well enough that I won't have to sit through hundreds of SM Sucks threads come 2005.:rolleyes:

Pirate Girl
04-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
If all they're doing is replacing the track, then why is it going to take 2 - 2 1/2 years? I could understand that length if it was going to be reconfigured, with new stuff added, but to just replace the track? Even if they are going to add some new fiber optics and digital technology, it seems a bit ridiculous.

If it takes them that long to do the job well then I say go right ahead. I've heard that Space was not given the maintenance it needed along the way, so they have to fix a bunch of stuff as well. I just hope they don't try any funny stuff with it or ruin it in some way.