PDA

View Full Version : Princess Gowns....Annoying

soccerlady16
10-02-2010, 12:11 AM
I just have to tell somebody that would care. My family will just look at me funny...Why can’t the costume designers get the Princesses gowns correctly?! They have a whole movie to use as reference. It really annoys me! LOL.

My BIGGEST complaint is Auroras dress. My goodness, it looks like she has spikes coming out of her shoulders! ITS supposed to be off the shoulder, a horizontal neckline. (I would like to see a blue dress too!) Her crown looks like a gold can. In the movie it’s low and wide, not narrow and tall. Oh ya and Prince Philip, why is wearing black and has a top hat w/a feather? It should be a purplish outfit with a "robin hood" type hat.

Shoes: some wear "dancer" shoes. Why? Jasmin, Tinker Bell have the correct shoes. Y cant the other princess have them. HELLO? IT’S CINDERELLA! It’s all about the glass slipper! Also, the little girls’ shoes are horrible!! Plastic slip-ons? Come on!... My daughter is going to be Snow White for Halloween. Looking for tan shoes and hot gluing a white bow!

Where did Ariel's light blue gown come from? In the movie I have only seen the wedding dress (white). "Kiss the Girl" dress and blue sparkly dress.

Now isn’t Snow White's cape dark red on the outside and bright red on the inside?

Cinderella's dress doesn’t have blue on blue print in the movie. And the original color of her dress is a grayish color I believe.

And dont get me started on the Disney Wedding Gowns. yes I know some styles are not going to work for the modern bride, but still.

Ok. I think I'm done, for now.:p
LOVE Disney and their attention detail. But they are missing the mark on the costuming sometimes.

The old man
10-02-2010, 05:45 AM
I'm a little confused if you're referring to the costumes that characters wear in the park, or Halloween costumes, or both, or...?

underthesea1987
10-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Also....Why dont the make any princess gear for adults?! I dont want the gown, but I want a sweatshirt! and a shirt. Why am I forced to only get a keychain!

dznyphreak
10-02-2010, 10:39 AM
soccerlady16, you're my hero. :)

AJDerrick
10-02-2010, 10:50 AM
I think they've gone downhill over the years. When I was little my Tinkerbelle and Belle costumes were JUST like the movie, and they came from Disney Catalog. Now they put the character's plastic broach thing on the front of all of them...as if you didn't know who the costume was.

disney42dude
10-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Now they put the character's plastic broach thing on the front of all of them...as if you didn't know who the costume was.

Hate those. They make them look so cheap and tacky. Glad this thread came up. (Don't get me started on some of the hair I see walking out of Bibbity Bobbity Boutique! Lol!)

soccerlady16
10-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Now they put the charactastic broach thing on the front of all of them...as if you didn't know who the costume was.

Yes! I break those off DD dresses.

soccerlady16
10-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm a little confused if you're referring to the costumes that characters wear in the park, or Halloween costumes, or both, or...?

Mostly refering to the characters in the park. They a are suppose to have THE exact dress from their movie.

EmmasMom
10-02-2010, 02:45 PM
Also....Why dont the make any princess gear for adults?! I dont want the gown, but I want a sweatshirt! and a shirt. Why am I forced to only get a keychain!

I was in Costco yesterday and they had Princess costumes for adults. Looked just like the kid versions. I saw Belle, Snow White and Cinderella. Forgot the price.

gotchalk
10-03-2010, 07:30 AM
that is the reason we make homemade dresses, when my daughter was Belle, she was gorgeous! thank goodness for grandma and her sewing!

underthesea1987
10-03-2010, 10:11 AM
I was in Costco yesterday and they had Princess costumes for adults. Looked just like the kid versions. I saw Belle, Snow White and Cinderella. Forgot the price.

Must have!!!

CindyR
10-04-2010, 02:45 PM

They have had some princess clothing for adults in the past couple years. Nothing too exciting but they had a tank top with sort of a bubble bottom that had a Disney Princess logo in pink in the bottom corner and I think there was a t-shirt and sweater that went with it. Once in a while they come up with interested adult Disney Princess merchandise but you have to keep your eyes open for it. The cutest stuff is for children of course, but that's not surprising.

I'm always annoyed by the lack of merchandising for the princes! Lame. I'm sure there's some males out there who actually like the princes. When I saw the Prince Phillip shirt they currently have, I was so excited it was ridiculous. Next up, they should have prince merchandise for adult females like shirts. I seriously think that would sell? No?

dznyphreak
10-04-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm always annoyed by the lack of merchandising for the princes! Lame. I'm sure there's some males out there who actually like the princes. When I saw the Prince Phillip shirt they currently have, I was so excited it was ridiculous. Next up, they should have prince merchandise for adult females like shirts. I seriously think that would sell? No?

I have that shirt!! I love it. Phillip's my favorite, and I've always felt the Princes are insanely under-represented at the parks. Where would the Princesses be without their Princes??

CindyR
10-04-2010, 10:30 PM
And what happened to the princess purses?? Ugh I used to LOVE the bags with the princesses on the side, in different colors. Some of they have velcro closures on top, later the closures became magnetic. I have the Alice one, the Ariel one and the Cinderella one but then they stopped making them! So sad. I've seen other ones around too like Snow White and an older Cinderella one I think? I know they had a Disneyland one too. Those always seemed like such great sellers. I haven't liked their more recent bags, I used to always buy them but not so much lately.

One of my favorite bags was a different design with three pockets, the middle one zipped shut, and it had Aurora and Prince Phillip on it, but I got it signed at the D23 Expo last year by Mary Costa so I obviously can't use it anymore. I need a replacement. Although I do like the Dooney and Burke Princess bags, I don't have the money for one of those.

leota's necklace
10-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Can I chime in a tangental vent here? What is up with modernizing the classic designs? Snow White's eyes have gotten bigger and she looks more like the modern princesses now (boo, hiss) and I saw a graphic of her stepmother the other day that had added in awful drag-queen cheekbones. The Queen is a classic beauty and they made her look like Joan Rivers. What the heck?

mommaoftwins
10-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I have been looking for a Princess Costume ( we leave on Saturday!!!) for the Halloween Party and could find nothing. Today I found a so-so Evil Queen Costume at Party City, so I got it. Big kids like to dress up too!

Koala Gurl
10-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Yes! I break those off DD dresses.

My DD asks me to cut them off, she says they are ugly. She is 5. :)

Koala Gurl
10-06-2010, 07:14 AM
Can I chime in a tangental vent here? What is up with modernizing the classic designs? Snow White's eyes have gotten bigger and she looks more like the modern princesses now (boo, hiss) and I saw a graphic of her stepmother the other day that had added in awful drag-queen cheekbones. The Queen is a classic beauty and they made her look like Joan Rivers. What the heck?

Joan Rivers!! Ha ha!! Thanks for the giggle!!

mkraemer
10-13-2010, 07:40 AM
It *used* to be that the princess dresses you could buy at Disneyland were a very nice quality, better than what you'd find in the Disney Store or elsewhere. They did not have the little picture of the princess glued to the front. Now, it seems that mass production has taken over and costumes from the park are no better (but probably more expensive) than ones purchased elsewhere.

Glad my princesses went through that dress-up phase 'back in the day.'

PS: The Joan Rivers comment sure adds a scary aspect to the Evil Queen, I think!!

tucson sailors
10-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Been on a quest since I picked up Mickeys Party tickets to find a princess dress for one of the twentysomethings that are accompanying my wife and I on our trip this week.

Tried all the Halloween places. Nothing other than the tramp costumes from Leg Avenue. Um, no.

Tried disneystore online, nope.

Tried the disneystore in the mall, nope.

Gave up and tried Amazon this morning. Adult medium Snow White, with overnight shipping for 50.00. Will report on quality, but at least at this point I was able to get something.

So if you have to have one for someone over the age of 9, who doesn't want to go the Happiest Place on Earth dressed as Princess Trollop, there *are* options.

Glenn in Tucson, AZ - at DL Friday morning!

tmptink
10-18-2010, 04:42 PM
tucson sailors I just saw an adult Snow White, Belle, and Cinderella at Costco this afternoon that was not so bad.

tucson sailors
10-18-2010, 06:03 PM
tucson sailors I just saw an adult Snow White, Belle, and Cinderella at Costco this afternoon that was not so bad.

Had heard tale of that, but when I checked the website, saw naught. Good point though for any other MP member who is looking.

Thanks for posting additional info - it's all good for someone. :)

Glenn and Lars in Tucson

guendolyn
10-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I am so disappointed too! I have never really looked into buying them as DS just turned 2 this summer and DD is only 6 months old. But I have remembered seeing them and thinking they are looking less and less like the real characters.

2 Years ago my nephew wanted to be Prince Phillip. I made him his costume. DS is wanting to be Peter Pan or Mickey Depending on the day. Mickey Costumes are ok. Peter Pan was so not Peter Pan. I was so disappointed in the costumes out there. Why change what they wear?

I am not on the search for a Minnie costume for my daughter. I don't want pink. I don't want sequined bodices. I want it to look like Minnie's dress. Is that too much to ask for?

mkraemer
10-20-2010, 08:30 AM
You might try eBay. I used to sell my girls' outgrown costumes there, and at this time of year, there should be a bounty of costumes available.

mulansgirl
10-20-2010, 09:08 AM
I think for the in park costumes, the costumers want to put their spin on things flash it up a bit, it is "close" to the source material so it "passes". I think they forget how for lack of a better word obsessive Disney fans can be.
If I am going to spend $50 anyway I just go get some rather nice material and make my daughters dresses. She has a Cinderella dress and Alice in wonderland dress which doubled as a Wendy dress for a bit, I made it long and let her wear it as Wendy and then when she was taller it was Alice like I intended. Worked out really well actually. I know they are not perfect but they are a lot better than you can buy now days. I am sewing her new costume today, non-Disney, weird.