PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite non-Disney hotel?

Pages : [1] 2

CarlieB
04-13-2003, 07:18 PM
Just wondering what everyone's non-Disney propert hotel is in the Anaheim area. We're looking at a quick (2 or 3 days) trip in mid-November, and I'm starting to check out hotels. Last time we stayed at the Anabella and it was okay, but I'd like to investigate other options too...

carsoni
04-13-2003, 07:33 PM
We're trying out the Candy Cane Inn this May for the first time. I chose it because of lots of good reviews and a decent price. We'll see how it goes!

tod
04-13-2003, 08:05 PM
...Oh, around Disneyland?

Mrs. Tod and I like the Park Place Inn, which we happened onto one hot Valley night. We liked the room, we liked the free continental breakfast, and now we like that they won the lottery for Closest Motel To The Crosswalk To Disneyland.

--T

MouseWife
04-13-2003, 08:41 PM
I really liked the Embassy Suites in Garden Grove.
Or, the E.S. in Buena Park, if we are doing both Knott's and Disneyland.

I really also liked the Residence Inn Orange which is now Best Value Inn Orange. Loved the penthouse suite, I think it was called. LOL No penthouse but basically a condo. So cool.

I don't personally care for walking, I prefer to get great parking or else be shuttled right up to the front entrance. I figure I will get plenty of walking throughout the day.

mandi2728
04-13-2003, 09:06 PM
We've been really happy with both the Tropicana and the Maingate Saga Inn, have stayed at both numerous times!!!
And will be back in Oct!

TimBuk2
04-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Last Thanksgiving I stayed at the Fairfield Inn by Marriott on Harbor Blvd (see below). And the pricing is very fair, but call in advance to make sure it's available.

It is right across from Space Mountain and you can walk the outside hallway and see the Monorail and a lot of DCA. Very close to the entrance, McDonalds, Tony Roma's, and Mimi's.

I got some great photos from there, and it's one of my top 3 viewing spots for the fireworks (8th or 9th floor). When I find the photos I will share the web address of my posting.

Fairfield Inn Anaheim Disneyland Resort
1460 South Harbor Boulevard
Anaheim, CA 92802
USA
Phone: 1 714-772-6777
Fax: 1 714-999-1727

chelbell
04-13-2003, 09:21 PM
I like the Anaheim Hilton Towers. You can get a room with a great view of Disneyland, and the pool area is really nice, with an outside bar area. If you book directly through Hilton it can be a little pricey, but I was looking on Expedia tonight for another hotel, and I noticed that the Anaheim Hilton was only $73.50 per night....this was during May. This is a great price!! I have seen other posts where people have said that they didn't care for it, but each time we have stayed we have loved it. There is also a shuttle that goes directly from the hotel to Disneyland, or at least it was there the last time we stayed in June of 2001....or, it's close enough to walk. Good luck!!!:)

Toady The Eighth
04-14-2003, 09:27 AM
The Coast Anaheim Hotel (Formerly the Westcoast) is, in my opinion, the nicest hotel on Harbor (next to the very pricey Hilton) The rooms are clean, comfortable, and nice, all with balcony's and some with views of Disneyland and DCA. They are walking distance to the park (about 2 blocks) or you can use the ART shuttle which drops you at the front door. They have a really cool swimming pool, a hot tub, and a pool bar. There are restaurants all around and inside the property, and a lounge in the lobby. The front desk is extremely friendly and helpful, and the housekeeping is very good with lots of clean towels. (There are also large beach-type towels by the pool, which is a nice touch because most hotels give you pool towels that more resemble hand towels) It's also very affordable. I stay here often.

My second choice would be the Candy Cane Inn, and after that, the Park Inn. (not to be confused with the Park Place Inn)

80S ERA
04-14-2003, 09:38 AM
I like the Hilton Suites near Anaheim Stadium. I've never paid more than $99 and the rooms are HUGE. I've paid as low as $79 per night and the rooms can sleep up to 6. I like The shuttle service is great, too.

The only drawback is their tiny, indoor pool.

cirquelover
04-14-2003, 09:57 AM
We enjoy the Candy Cane Inn. The beds are comfortable with great bedding. The sinks are outside the bathroom. The breakfast in the morning was an added bonus.

scaeagles
04-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Park Inn International. Large rooms, competitive pricing, right next to Pedestrian entrance on Harbor......I've stayed a few other places prior to staying there, and I won't stay anywhere else. Of course, we're splurging on the GCH this July, so it may not look as great after staying there.

Toady The Eighth
04-14-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by scaeagles
Park Inn International. Large rooms, competitive pricing, right next to Pedestrian entrance on Harbor......I've stayed a few other places prior to staying there, and I won't stay anywhere else.

The Park Inn is a great hotel- and if you're looking for something that's at a very good walking distance, this is, in my opinion, the way to go. The Park Inn also has a pretty decent breakfast, and oversized rooms!

mad4mky
04-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Personally...we stay at "Dolphin's Cove Resort"...on Orangewood Ave.

We bought into it almost two years ago...and love it. They're condos...and with a family of 5, we have lots of room to roam, continental breakfasts everyday, cheese and wine (no wine for us though) every evenings, and activities for the kids (our girls are too old for that though). Full kitchen...living room...and up to 3 bedrooms...if that's what we need.

Having 2 bathrooms, when you travel as a family is great...as is having enough room in large bedrooms to actually have room to walk around the beds.
Plus...we don't pay those extortionist prices that they charge at hotels, motels to stay...:eek:

For us, it was a great choice...and we feel like its a home away from home when we go, and stay there.:D

Flynn
04-14-2003, 12:20 PM
I cannot stress how nice it is to come back after a day walking through the park to the 6x6 whirlpool tub in a room at the Desert Palm Inn. The rooms are $70-$90 depending on when you're there, and you can get a suite with that tub for just a little more. It's within walking distance of the tram which takes you through the parking lot (and really walking distance from the front enterance too, but it's a bit farther). They're expanding now, so hopefully the rooms there will only get better.

Wanda Woman
04-14-2003, 12:37 PM
Has anyone stayed at the Anaheim Sheraton (that's the hotel on Ball Road that looks like a castle)? I know it has its own shuttle. I looked at the MP reviews and there was only one (highly recommended), but it was from 2000.

Any more recent info?

Wanda Woman

hefferdude
04-14-2003, 12:44 PM
Hojo's on Harbor. Right next to Mimi's.
-or-
Residence Inn on Clementine. Saved $$$$ cooking our
own gourmet dinners. Had $$$ left over for the park and
a really good bottle of wine. ( Or was that wine and then
the Park?;) )

Toady The Eighth
04-14-2003, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Wanda Woman
Has anyone stayed at the Anaheim Sheraton (that's the hotel on Ball Road that looks like a castle)? I know it has its own shuttle. I looked at the MP reviews and there was only one (highly recommended), but it was from 2000.

Any more recent info?

Wanda Woman

Wanda, I have never stayed here, but I have put clients here, and I have never had any complaints. In fact, I've heard lots of good things about it. I have also heard that their shuttle is excellent. :D Sorry I don't have more info for you!!

kennyhues
04-14-2003, 02:20 PM
The Anabella is nice, and not too spendy. It's on Katella at, is it, Ball? The street that goes under Downtown Disney.

Toady The Eighth
04-14-2003, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by kennyhues
The Anabella is nice, and not too spendy. It's on Katella at, is it, Ball? The street that goes under Downtown Disney.

The Anabella is on the corner of Katella and Disneyland Drive, and it is a really nice property. I think the original poster said she had stayed here before though....

innerSpaceman
04-14-2003, 03:22 PM
Being a local, I have mostly splurged on the resort hotels when I need one for an extended or special park visit. But when I don't want to spend a fortune, I have found the Park Inn Int'l on Harbor to the be nicest and roomiest of the motels directly across from the Disneyland crosswalk. Prices are compable to other area motels, but this is the nicest one with that great commodity -- location, location, location.

Only the Grand Californian is a shorter walk from room to theme parks than the motels on this Harbor Blvd. row. Most of these places are cesspools, but the Park Inn Int'l is fairly nice.

CarlieB
04-14-2003, 03:22 PM
The Anabella is nice - we enjoyed our time there:-)

My only complaints were that a couple of the staff at the front desk were a little rude on occasion, and our rooms weren't all that big (we were in one of the older blocks on the far side of the property - the good thing about it was that it was a quick walk to the Lion King Tram).

The pool area is lovely:-)

tod
04-14-2003, 03:35 PM
West Street becomes Disneyland Drive when it enters the Resort property, so the Anabella is technically at Katella Avenue and West Street.

Don't get me started on street name changes. It isn't pretty.

--T

Toady The Eighth
04-15-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by tod
West Street becomes Disneyland Drive when it enters the Resort property, so the Anabella is technically at Katella Avenue and West Street.

Don't get me started on street name changes. It isn't pretty.

--T

I stand corrected. ;)

daannzzz
04-15-2003, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Wanda Woman

Any more recent info?

I spent one night here last year before moving over to the Disneyland Hotel. The Sheraton is a nice place with very nice public areas and courtyards. The rooms are large though kind of blandly decorated when I was there. I have heard they were redoing all the rooms. It was quiet and comfortable. There was a restaurant and store but I did not use either. Across the street is the Spaghetti Station which we have been to many times and recommend. I may stay here again but would not for a whole trip as I prefer to be with in a short walk to the parks and the Sheraton is not a short walk though it is walkable in about 20 minutes or so.

jcboyzgirl02
04-15-2003, 09:58 AM
I stayed at the Anaheim Sheraton exactly a month ago. I thought it was nice. It's only 4 floors and there are almost 500 rooms there. Like daannzzz said, the rooms were blandly decorated, but they were very large. I think my dad did priceline and he got a pretty good deal on the two rooms we had. They had a shuttle take you to DLR, and it took less than 10 minutes to get there. We didn't go to the pool or go to any of the restraunts inside though. We went the day it rained about 4 inches and when my mom tried to go to the washer/dryer to dry some of our clothes off, there were only three dryers and one washer. Some kid had his shoes in the dryer and there's a huge sign that said, no shoes in the washer/dryers. So, my mom wasn't too happy about that one. Overall, I thought the hotel was fine. But, I don't think I'd prefer to try somewhere else when I go back in July.