PDA

View Full Version : Final Disney Trip with My MOM

DL4EVER
04-13-2003, 10:27 AM
Okay, this year is going to be the final Disney trip with my mom and I want it to be great.

First off, we are going the 26th of December to the 30th. Can anyone tell us how crowded the parks will be?

Also, how cold is it usually in the winter time in Anaheim/L.A.? Will California Adventure be that crowded? What attractions have single rider pass usually? Are there any additional tips that can help?

We are staying at the Grand Californian and will possibly be doing the Fantasmic dessert buffet thing. Besides Space Mountain, will any of the major attractions be closed?

I want this trip to be the best trip ever for the both of us and any tips that you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

DL4EVER

Matterhorn Fan
04-13-2003, 10:44 AM
Expect it to be very crowded.

You should be fine in a sweatshirt or light jacket.

DCA is usually much less crowded than Disneyland. Soarin', Indy, Splash Mtn (someone help me out here--does GRR have SR? And did they ever add it on Screamin'?). The Pirates FP is currently disconnected from the system--that may change by next December, though.

I don't know about refurbs.

DL4EVER
04-13-2003, 11:01 AM
How crowded is very crowded? Like standby line on pirates coming out the door and weaving all around crowded?

HBTiggerFan
04-13-2003, 11:13 AM
Heavy jacket, hat, gloves, scarf!!!!!!!!!! Unless your from the east coast, then shorts and a tank top ;)

Standby lines are HUGE, yes, Pirates will most likely be out the door and in the walk ways. It will be extremely crowded.

MammaSilva
04-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Someone went the 26th of December this past year and said it was absolutely the most crowded he had ever seen it. Just a couple pieces of advice, get your Mom a SAP if she has ANY medical condition...even if it is just that she tires easily/fast. Second is, unless the powers that be change, don't plan on Fanstasmic Balcony, they have been 'closing the show' during the winter season the last few years. We were there this past Dec/Jan for New Years Eve and the show was 'dark'.

DL4EVER
04-13-2003, 12:06 PM
What is an SAP and how do we get one....if it is what I think it is, that is a very sneaky way of avoiding the crowds.....

MammaSilva
04-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Ummm ok I may have mis interperted your thead title because I do NOT advocate using SAP as a 'sneaky way to avoid crowds'. The SAP.... Special Assistance Pass, is for those with medical conditions that need special assistance at the attractions. It will not help you avoid crowds but it will let your mom wait in a more convienant area, ususally in shade or with seating in some cases, often the SAP line can be as crowded/long a wait as the stand by line, to avoid crowds study up on the Fast pass system before you go.

If your Mom does qualify for the SAP you need to stop by City Hall the morning of your first visit if you have park hoppers, every morning of your visit if you are a pass holder..

Matterhorn Fan
04-13-2003, 12:45 PM
Very crowded: Standby line for pirares has switchbacks in front of the bridge, standby for Star Tours is 45 min. or more. (I tend to use ST as a DL crowd barometer--if standby is 30 minutes, it's crowded; if 45, very crowded; if 60, I start thinking that a nap at the hotel is a really good idea.)

This doesn't mean that you can't have a wonderful trip, you just have to know that it's going to be this way and be prepared to wait. Know exactly how FastPass works and decide what your absolute "must-dos" are. You've got four days, so getting to do everything shouldn't be too much trouble. It just means you'll have to plan ahead instead of bumming around standing in front of restrooms all day long trying to decide what to do next.

For the record, I'm always cold, and I can't imagine needing a hat, scarf, and gloves in SoCal. YMMV.

tjrj
04-13-2003, 01:05 PM
The "cold" thing. Will both you and you Mom be walking? I ask because if Mom is using a wheelchair then how cold you are will be relative. I use a wheelchair at the Parks-way too much walking for me otherwise. When we went in December-my boys-both husband and sons-were in t-shirts most of the time; I, because I wasn't up and moving-were much colder than they were.

And, if you have a legitimate reason for a SAP-given the thread title I thought it might be a possiblity-then it can be very helpful to your Mom.

DL4EVER
04-13-2003, 01:15 PM
We will not need the SAP.......we are okay with the waiting and the walking, we have been to Disney parks many times before and have loved it.....we went to Disney world last year and the thing we had to wait the longest for was for our bus to get to Typhoon Lagoon:D My mom is not that old and I myself am 14.....

From what it sounds like, it will be crowded, but we have no problem using fast pass to its full potential.....what is a good plan of action for the first thing we do in the morning at the parks.......because doesn't Disneyland open before California Adventure now? What do you guys recommend we do when we first get there in the morning.......

adriennek
04-13-2003, 02:53 PM
I think that the reason Mammasilva suggested SAP is that your subject is "Final Disney Trip with My MOM" May I ask what makes this the "final" trip since medical conditions are not a consideration? Are you assuming that because you're 14 you won't be taking vacations with your mom in the future? That may help clarify exactly what kind of information will most help you.

Adrienne K

DL4EVER
04-13-2003, 03:04 PM
It is not due to medical issues. This is our final Disney trip because we have had so many Disney trips.

TimBuk2
04-13-2003, 09:09 PM
First things first. Since the parks are open longer during that week, plan ahead on what sites or rides you most want to see or ride. Go the DL first, and early. Get a fast pass for one ride, then go immediately to a different ride (close by) and get on that one first.

Then after that ride, get another fast pass for the same one, or a new one, then you have 2 (remembering you can only get another fastpass once the 1st one has started).

Enjoy the mornings in the park, then go to DCA for lunch. Take a break in the middle of the day when it's most crowded. There is an entrance/exit to the GCH inside DCA. Then you can relax and go back later when it MIGHT not be so crowded.

Planning your day is the key. If you have 4 or 5 days in the parks, then there won't be any problem. Since you have so much time, don't be discourged about the long lines or all of the strollers. Remember, the parks will be filled with families and kids out of school.

I would check back here at MP for updates to closed rides during Xmas break. Hopefully only Space Mtn will be the only one closed.

Dinner at the EPSN Zone is a must. Great food and plenty of sports tv.

Hope this helps, have a great time.
:p

msr709
04-17-2003, 09:22 AM
Going during a crowded time, may I suggest that you get the Passport Plus with the Unlimited FastPass feature, you can get 5 days for the price of 3. This will allow you to get more than 1 Fast Pass at a time. Just my 2 cents worth. Have a great trip! :D

Toady The Eighth
04-17-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by DL4EVER
First off, we are going the 26th of December to the 30th. Can anyone tell us how crowded the parks will be?

Also, how cold is it usually in the winter time in Anaheim/L.A.? Will California Adventure be that crowded? What attractions have single rider pass usually? Are there any additional tips that can help?

I will NEVER EVER EVER go to the parks the week after Christmas again. It was the most crowded I have ever seen the place, and there were very long waits, even with fastpasses. And this is coming from me, and my favorite time to visit the parks is SUMMERTIME!! I LIKE crowds... but this was ridiculous!!

The weather was in the 70's during the day, but very cold at night.. Take a jacket!!

hbquikcomjamesl
04-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Uh, I still don't get why this would be your "final" trip to DL with your mom. That implies that the two of you will never go there again together, which further suggests either that one of you hates DL, or that one of you specifically hates going to DL with the other, or that one of you is planning on dying immediately after this visit. Why else would it be "final"?

thenicks
04-19-2003, 09:09 PM
Don't really have anything to compare it to as I've only been there at Christmas (2001/2002), but my advice would be to get there early and go hard till 11 or noon and then hit your hotel for a break. Since you are staying at Grand Californian as I did this past Christmas, head to DL for opening at 8, then over to DCA on your way back to your room as you have the entrance right from DCA to your hotel. Head back to DL around 3 or 4 and stay till whenever. I would recommend getting a parade seat facing Small World as the holiday makeover is wonderful while you wait for the parade. You will have to get there early though for a good seat. Make sure you have a plan of what you want to do and use Fastpass to your advantage.

Enjoy!!

DL4EVER
04-20-2003, 07:36 PM
We live in OK so getting out there and going on these trips is pretty expensive:rolleyes: (hint!)

DL4EVER
04-22-2003, 01:30 PM
I am the Mom - a huge Disney fan that has raised another huge Disney fan...I was surprised at the title he chose for this thread - I only said that once!

To explain, we have taken numerous trips to DL and just last year did the DisneyWorld/Disney cruise thing - I kind of figured he would rather do other things on our vacations, but I now know the error of my ways!!!! I imagine this is not our last trip, although I am the one that always wanted to go for Christmas - hence, all his questions are stuff we have talked about.

I really appreciate all the information that we have received and know that we are in for another experience of a lifetime.

Tigertail777
04-22-2003, 05:31 PM
Good Luck on all the trip stuff, and have tons of fun! Make some cherished memories, thats what its all about. :D

DL4EVER
05-05-2003, 05:28 PM
Any other help you can give even if it is just little stuff.

MammaSilva
05-05-2003, 07:07 PM
I strongly recommend you go to the Main page and read the articles.. search the archives... come up with a list of specific questions you can't find the answers to, then come back.....other wise folks just repeat each other and the information already readily available thanks to the hard work of the MousePlanet staff :)