PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the toucan?

DaDuckFan1955
09-23-2010, 02:18 PM
As you meander through the line at Jungle Cruise if you look up the stairs in the rafters, you used to see an animated Toucan looking down and around at you.

http://garycarter.smugmug.com/Theme-Parks-Disneyland-by/Disneyland-Jungle-Cruise/13341857_7HLsn#985339439_UhUuc

I should have posted this in June when we were last there and noticed it was missing at that time?

http://garycarter.smugmug.com/Disneyland-June-5-9-2010/Disneyland-June-5-9-2010-Kodak/12788282_vMacG#904837599_uMPjF

Anyone notice if it is back yet?

newhdplayer
09-23-2010, 02:35 PM
He's kickin' it with the POTC crab.

sjhanksaz
09-23-2010, 02:46 PM
The POTC Crab and the Dirty Foot guy are back, perhaps if they could talk we could find out more information about where the bird has gone.

Perhaps we need a full investigation here.

trypticon
09-23-2010, 03:25 PM
There's always the option of simply asking the Cast Members who work at that attraction about what happened to it. I remember the Toucan, and thought it was a nice addition to the que.

potzbie
09-23-2010, 05:36 PM
I looked up the kind of bird.
It appears to be a Great Hornbill, a certain sub-species under "Toucan". -- Primarily black and white feathers, but with a partially yellow neck, plus the famous extra beak growth atop its beak.

Since the photo shows that the bird is not caged as it sits atop the rafters of the Jungle Cruise queue, I think it is safe to say that the bird is audio-animatronic, and not a real Great Hornbill.

Not to be confused with the caged white cockatoo, if I remember, which is sometimes hanging around the queue.

DaDuckFan1955
09-23-2010, 07:04 PM
I looked up the kind of bird.
It appears to be a Great Hornbill, a certain sub-species under "Toucan". -- Primarily black and white feathers, but with a partially yellow neck, plus the famous extra beak growth atop its beak.

Since the photo shows that the bird is not caged as it sits atop the rafters of the Jungle Cruise queue, I think it is safe to say that the bird is audio-animatronic, and not a real Great Hornbill.

Not to be confused with the caged white cockatoo, if I remember, which is sometimes hanging around the queue.

We asked and one of the cast members said "Why it must have flown away."
and they stuck to that, even though there were no young children around us at the time.:confused::eek::crying::p:cool::eyeroll:

Goodnplenty
09-24-2010, 05:30 AM
Would someone mind posting a link to a picture or video of the missing AA bird? I don't recall seeing it and would love to have a bette image in my mind of what you are talking about.

Thanks!
GnP :)

dlfansx4
09-24-2010, 07:04 AM
Hum, he was there last time we went on that ride (within the last couple of months). My DD pointed him out to me.

Maybe he is off somewhere with the gulls from Nemo (mine, mine, mine). They were missing last week also.

jencape
09-24-2010, 07:42 AM
Maybe he is off somewhere with the gulls from Nemo (mine, mine, mine). They were missing last week also.

The gulls have been missing since July:crying:

Nikara
09-24-2010, 10:15 AM
All three gulls were there on Tuesday!

charpaul
09-24-2010, 03:30 PM
The Hornbill who "lives" in the rafters above the stairs in the Jungle Cruise queue seems to go missing often.

He was there three weeks ago when I last visited that attraction.

Maybe he is exposed to the elements too much - even though he is "under cover" at in the queue.

topdsnymom
09-25-2010, 11:56 AM
He was there two weeks!

DaDuckFan1955
09-26-2010, 08:23 AM
glad to hear he just 'flies' off on occasion and was not removed for good, when we last visited!

danyoung
09-29-2010, 09:05 AM
Would someone mind posting a link to a picture or video of the missing AA bird? I don't recall seeing it and would love to have a bette image in my mind of what you are talking about.

Thanks!
GnP :)

There are 2 links in the first message of this thread.

jswtsang
10-08-2010, 06:21 AM
I just noticed the toucan for the first time on Sunday. I don't think I have waited more than 5 min for a boat in some time, and I think you only could notice him if you are upstairs. It was cool to see him after reading this thread!