PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever waited overnight in the esplenade?

jrsharp21
04-12-2003, 09:13 PM
Me and my girlfriend were wondering if anyone has ever pulled up some lawn chairs and sleeping bags and ever hung out in the esplenade over night. Or does security kick you out at a certain time?

Andrew
04-12-2003, 10:36 PM
You'd most likely be asked to leave at 2:00 AM, when the bars at Downtown Disney have closed. This would, if necessary, be enforced by Anaheim PD who have a very strong presence on Disney property these days.

As far as I know, the most recent sanctioned "overnight" event was the grand opening of DCA (http://www.mouseplanet.com/dca/line1.htm). The line wasn't in the Esplanade, though...

http://www.mouseplanet.com/dca/grandopen/line06.jpg

cujosr
04-13-2003, 12:02 AM
Security will respond eventually. I remember once while I was waiting for my ride home at about 2:00 in the morning, I went out to the 15 minute parking area, sat on the curb, and started to proceed reading. I was there for about 45 minutes (laying down mind you,) when two security officers pulled up in an unmarked van and started to question me. I explained that I was a CM and waiting for my ride which should arrive any minute now. After checking my ID and telling me that they thought I was a drunk from DTD that passed out, my ride showed up and I was let go. No fuss, no muss. Might not be the same for the average guest. I really don't suggest staying overnight unless it's in a hotel. It is private property and they don't like it.

Sophie832
04-13-2003, 12:21 AM
Well, I've been in the hotel lobby hanging out and having room service past 2am, and then walked through DTD to get to the tram (or the mini-tram, or the van). I know they hose down most of the concrete in the middle of the night, so that could be a hazard. Also, the previous posts are probably correct about security. Unless you're up and walking around, and you look like you're headed towards one of the parking areas, they'll question you and ask you to head home.

experiment626
04-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Why would you want to do this?

MammaSilva
04-13-2003, 08:01 AM
Just to be able to say you had?

Back in the day when the earth was warm and DCA didn't exsist and you had to physically go be in line in front of Guest Services "uglyearly" to get tickets to the Fantasmic Balcony, I needed to buy out the first show and 10 tickets of the second show... we left the park at 1:00am, went back to the hotel, I grabbed a shower and more cash headed back and was in front of guest services by about 2:30am.... I had a bag of snacks, a camp stool and a book with a light, security came by and asked what I was doing, I explained, they laughed and said ok, we'll come by and check on you once in a while to make sure everything is ok....I was nice to the folks that came later and told them how many tickets I was buying, some were angry but most were like well thanks for not letting us waste our morning.

MonorailMan
04-13-2003, 08:03 AM
I'v allready told mom, if we can, we will wait overnight for the return of the Subs! :eek: :D

DisneyFan25863
04-13-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
I'v allready told mom, if we can, we will wait overnight for the return of the Subs! :eek: :D

Maybe we could do a whole MP meet thingy the night before, then get in line before they open up, then all be the first ones in the park and race straight to the subs, and be the first ones on? ;)

cstephens
04-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Andrew
As far as I know, the most recent sanctioned "overnight" event was the grand opening of DCA (http://www.mouseplanet.com/dca/line1.htm). The line wasn't in the Esplanade, though...

Not a sanctioned event per se, but in December 2000, at the end of the character-pin-of-the-month fiasco, Tink was the last release, and people camped out overnight for the opportunity to purchase a pin.
Here's the story. (http://www.mouseplanet.com/merchandise/mer120700.htm) I can't imagine waiting that long just to buy a pin, and one that I didn't think was even particularly cute. Oh well, to each his own.