PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain design

Pages : [1] 2

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 02:49 PM
For the record, I like Disneyland and I like people who like Disneyland.

And, in case you didn't know:
I worked there 15 years ago, driving boats around ROA (or crashing them into the island as my wife likes to remind me).
I've celebrated at least 10 birthdays there.
I went to my High School's grad night.
I purposed marridge at Snow White's grotto.

I started a thread saying I thought security at the park was a tad overkill.
I started a second thread to say, sorry, didn't mean to rub anybody the wrong way.

Now I'll start a third thread to say.

I agree to disagree and

What, if anything has anyone heard about the new design for Space Mountian??

When I worked there, they used to have contests for Roller Coaster and/or ride design.

This was before all the RCT-type software programs.

Anyway, this one guy who trained me on either Pirates or Mansion came up with this really cool ride design called "Pirates Revenge." I wonder if he's an Imagineer.

Someone commented earlier that they had better not put a Stitch in the new Space Mountain.

As a foster father and now the father of an adopted son, I loved that movie. I think it was one of the most original animated features to come out of Disney in years.

I say, go ahead, put Stitch in space mountain.

Besides, by the time the new ride is done, Disney will have already released two straight to video sequals.

mhrc4
04-11-2003, 02:50 PM
for the record

GO AWAY YOU TROLL

YellowMan
04-11-2003, 03:57 PM
LOL! That was a good one! Somebody actually wanting a Stitch theme in Space Mountain.

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by YellowMan
LOL! That was a good one! Somebody actually wanting a Stitch theme in Space Mountain.

I didn't say a whole theme, just throw one in the corner.

Ace
04-11-2003, 04:12 PM
I think it should start out as a slow ride on the Peoplemover track, and then ALIENS will take over your ship and you'll have to change your ride vehicle (like the Gadgetmobile) into a space ship and go into space and shoot the aliens... all set to a rock and roll soundtrack.

Mickeyslittlehelper
04-11-2003, 04:21 PM
If they were to put a stitch overlay................I WOULD FLIP!!!!!!!.....I would never ride it again!!!!!! Put him in fantasyland, NOT Tommorowland!!

MonorailMan
04-11-2003, 04:24 PM
For one, I think there should be less space under the "lauching bridge". Also, Air Gates would be nice. :)

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Ace
I think it should start out as a slow ride on the Peoplemover track, and then ALIENS will take over your ship and you'll have to change your ride vehicle (like the Gadgetmobile) into a space ship and go into space and shoot the aliens... all set to a rock and roll soundtrack.

That is a great idea! Brilliant.

Really! Seriously.

So much wasted space in TL. (Almost as much as in the HM show building)

Somebody call the imagineers!

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Mickeyslittlehelper
If they were to put a stitch overlay................I WOULD FLIP!!!!!!!.....I would never ride it again!!!!!! Put him in fantasyland, NOT Tommorowland!!

What if he popped up on the track so we could run him over? And then hear him cursing in his Alien lauguage?

GeminiAngel
04-11-2003, 06:37 PM
Why so much hatred for Stitch?? I loved the movie, and found him charming. I would love to see something refreshing like that in SM.

scaeagles
04-11-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by hazlnut
I didn't say a whole theme, just throw one in the corner.

We could put the Starship Enterprise in another, Darth Vader's tie fighter somewhere else, the ships from The Day the Earth Stood Still all over, and perhaps shape all the vehicles like Flash Gordon's ship! We could make it a conglomeration of classic Sci Fi and some newer visions like Stitch.

Morrigoon
04-11-2003, 07:25 PM
I like the current SM. But I hope they paint it white...

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by scaeagles
We could put the Starship Enterprise in another, Darth Vader's tie fighter somewhere else, the ships from The Day the Earth Stood Still all over, and perhaps shape all the vehicles like Flash Gordon's ship! We could make it a conglomeration of classic Sci Fi and some newer visions like Stitch.

Like I said, I thought it was an original movie from a company division keeping itself afloat with straigh-to-video sequals.

W/O Pixar the animated features is going to be in worse shape than ABC.

Just trying to give the little blue man his props is all.

adriennek
04-11-2003, 07:57 PM
Stitch won't happen at DL. New characters go to DCA. Just ask Flik and Mike and Sully, and, well, Lilo and Stitch.

Adrienne K

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by adriennek
Stitch won't happen at DL. New characters go to DCA. Just ask Flik and Mike and Sully, and, well, Lilo and Stitch.

Adrienne K

Good point. I noticed a lot of Lilo and Stitch merch selling around Paradise Pier. I haven't seen a Stitch meet&greet character though.

He'd probably be the one character who, in big form, would be too scary for even the bigger kids.

MonorailMan
04-11-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by adriennek

Adrienne K

Need I remind you of the cool Stitch video phone in Innoventions? :D

Disneyfreak
04-11-2003, 09:46 PM
Good keep all the junk characters in DCA. Leave Disneylands themes alone! Only quality things go in Disneyland.:)

CoasterMatt
04-11-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Good keep all the junk characters in DCA. Leave Disneylands themes alone! Only quality things go in Disneyland.:)

HAHAHAHA!!!!! *squirts milklike substance from nose*

Thanks for the best laugh I've had in a LONG time...

Superstar Pooh Pots is SUCH a quality thing

HBTiggerFan
04-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by hazlnut
He'd probably be the one character who, in big form, would be too scary for even the bigger kids.

Stitch has been out for the meet and greets. He is the same size as Lilo, and they look way to "tall" for the "age" of the characters.

I thought the Stitch meet and greet was moved to DL near the tiki room??

lloannna
04-12-2003, 01:02 AM
You can meet Lilo and Stitch near the Tiki Room, on the bridge -- just like you can meet Timon and Rafiki, as a matter of fact, and in almost exactly the same place. Adventureland shares Lilo and Stitch with Paradise Pier and Innoventions/Star Trader, and carries a whole line of Hawaii themed products. Including a really cute Goofy shirt. Oddly, you can find all that stuff in the Paradise Pier Hotel, except for the leis, which are DL only, it seems. There's also a costume shop on Hollywood Blvd, one block away from the ArcLight/CineramaDome, that sells most of the same things, but you didn't hear that from me.

Anyone looking for characters should talk to the Character Finder, or ask a Stores cast member (we have the easiest access to phones) and have them call the Character Finder. That person stands out by the Information Booth at the end of Main Street for 8 hours and does exactly two things: answer questions about where the Characters are, and pin trade. The Character Finder is there until 5:30pm, according to my Cast Member Reference Guide.

Personal opinion? Put a plush Stitch inside the control room in Space, as a tribute to the extremely strange ideas that sometimes pop up around here. And keep SM fundamentally the same, but with slightly better upgrades than just repainting a few numbers.

Incidentally, does anyone else have a picture of themselves with a 2001/2002/2003 dated shirt or other merchandise, next to the sign at Star Tours that STILL says you can board the Starspeeder 2000?

hazlnut
04-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak

Stitch, a junk character. Ouch.

I love the little blue guy. At least he was original, not taken from some public domain fairytail, myth, or folklore.

tiggerandtink
04-12-2003, 01:44 PM
I would love to see Stitch used creatively in DL. If not SM then another ride in Tomorrowland, it's not like TL couldn't use it.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-12-2003, 06:38 PM
I still hope they do more to SM than update the que(sp?). They could really update the whole experience, and make it the 100% Signature of Tommorowland. Given the fact they're going to spend a lot to refurb it in general, if ever they were to consider a major renovation, it would be now.

How unlikely is the "launch" idea? I think that a launch from outside, and then into the mountain, would draw crowds just like Screamin' does, but it would be an incredible experience.

mrfantasmic
04-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Here's the information on Space Mountain...
They are redoing the ride system and rebuilding the track from the ground up. They are also adding new "digital age" special effects and new rockets with integrated sound systems.
The queue will be completely redone.

YellowMan
04-12-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by SoCalDisneyLover
How unlikely is the "launch" idea? I think that a launch from outside, and then into the mountain, would draw crowds just like Screamin' does, but it would be an incredible experience. Space Mountain really doesn't have a problem drawing crowds as is. It's one of those rides that everybody already seems to know about before visiting.