PDA

View Full Version : New Craftsman's Club at Grand Californian Hotel

PARK_HOPPER
04-11-2003, 08:52 AM
Effective immediately, Disney's Grand Californian Hotel has renamed the Concierge lounge to "The Craftsman's Club".

With the new name comes a new focus on the exclusivity of the lounge and the services provided.

The name reflects both the theme of the hotel, as well as underscores the fact that Guests will be privileged to exclusive services and amenities that only a "private club" can offer.

Guests will continue to access to the 6th floor at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel via room key.

However, the entry door to The Craftsman's Club will now be secured, so that only Guests who "belong to the club" will be able to enter.

The Craftsman's Club Guests check-in at the front desk. The Club lounge does not offer check-in inside the lounge.

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 09:06 AM
We were just there, stayed at the GC and paid the extra $$, and there were a bunch of no class hicks parading around in their night gowns and bathing suits, stuffing their faces (and pockets) with free food. I even encountered some Euro-trash chic just out of the shower wearing nothing but her robe. That'll wake you up.

They get away with charging Four Seasons prices because they're relatively clean and right inside the park, but, trust me, the Four Seasons they're not.

MouseWife
04-11-2003, 11:57 AM
Yikes! Hazlnut, maybe what you saw was an example of why
they made this change.

It says effective immediately, maybe it wasn't in effect when you were there?

Klutch
04-11-2003, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by hazlnut
We were just there, stayed at the GC and paid the extra $$, and there were a bunch of no class hicks parading around in their night gowns and bathing suits, stuffing their faces (and pockets) with free food. I even encountered some Euro-trash chic just out of the shower wearing nothing but her robe. That'll wake you up.

They get away with charging Four Seasons prices because they're relatively clean and right inside the park, but, trust me, the Four Seasons they're not.

Dude, I thought *I* was cynical. Thus far, I've seen only a few of your posts, hazlnut, and every one of them has a stinging tone. I used to live in Oklahoma. Does that make me a "no class hick"? I ask because Okies are often referred to in such a way.

I'm French. Does that make me Euro-trash? Admittedly, it's the least of what the French have been called of late.

You get mad when your kids have to wait ten minutes for a security check. Your aghast that someone would be in the concierge lounge in casual attire. You get really annoyed if people don't interpret your posts exactly the way you intend them.

Final question: Does that make you a snob? OK, one more: or, perhaps a troll like someone has already suggested? For now, I'm assuming the answer is, "no".

Lighten up a little, hazlnut, and I'm sure you will be a welcome addition to the Planet of Mouse.:D

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Klutch
Your aghast that someone would be in the concierge lounge in casual attire.

PJ's and bathing suits. Too casual.

The nice terry cloth Grand Californian bath robes and *nothing else*!! Way too casual.

I will take your advice about ligtening up.

Or at least use more of those smiley face thingies when I'm only kidding...

Funny story. On car trips, my sister an I used to hang pillow cases and beach towels from the back seat windows, making like fort. And my mom would say take 'em down because she didn't want people to think we were a bunch of Oakies...

Maybe that's where I get my snobishness.

Also, at $450 a night, you gotta draw the line somewhere.

Would I have complained if the Euro-chic went topless at the poo?

Probably not.

ESS Heckler
04-11-2003, 05:21 PM
Were you looking down her robe? Did she have it slung open in a revealing way? Or was she just enjoying the benefits of the concierge level that disturbed your delicate sensibilities??

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by kimkinney
Were you looking down her robe? Did she have it slung open in a revealing way? Or was she just enjoying the benefits of the concierge level that disturbed your delicate sensibilities??

Everyone in the lounge, families included, was dressed, ready to go to the park, and his woman runs in dripping wet, just out of the shower, with her robe open enough to tell she was... well, underdressed.

The conciege level, that sort of 'private' club, it used to mean something. I was brought up to wear only a coat and tie into that sort situation. Anythime of the day.

I know, times have changed, and it's Disneyland and all, but coming in there in your bathrobe and slippers...

Show some class is all I'm saying.

MouseWife
04-11-2003, 06:22 PM
I am going to have to pipe in here~

I don't think that bathing suits are inapproriate, for children. For adults, I believe they should wear cover ups, like a terry robe or something. Me, I feel very awkward walking down to the pool in my suit but what is the alternative? They usually do not have changing rooms at hotels.

Kids, though, wake up and put on their bathing suits. They live for swimming, most often. And, they are kids so I don't mind that but I still would recommend to my kids to wear a t-shirt over theirs.

But, a woman coming out of the shower and being obviously under dressed, that is pushing this 'This is totally a casual place for me, been here so many times, no big deal.......yada yada yada.'

I think when you leave your room you need to be dressed. Casually dressed is acceptable, of course. I think the only time there is a dress code is when they state it, as in for dinner, requesting no shorts or bathing suits.

I do not want to go to a hotel and be in common areas and be judged by what I am wearing. But she wasn't wearing enough.

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by MouseWife
I think the only time there is a dress code is when they state it, as in for dinner, requesting no shorts or bathing suits.

I do not want to go to a hotel and be in common areas and be judged by what I am wearing. But she wasn't wearing enough.

If I remember correctly, the rules for the concierge lounge stated just that, proper dress, no bathing suits. To me that implies no bathrobes and slippers.

Also, the concierge lounge is not really a 'common' area.

Hey, you're on you're way to the pool, I hope you're in a bathing suit.

MouseWife
04-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Also, the concierge lounge is not really a 'common' area.

Sort of. But not as in a 'general public' area but public to those who have paid to be there. Like paying to be at a concert or to be in a restaurant. 'Paying Customers'.

Mostly I meant, though, the lobby, and walking through the hotel. I think that is part of the problem with the G.C., it isn't very family fun.

At the P.P. we can walk to the elevator, hope in it and then the hall way is right to the pool area. You don't have to go by any areas where you really feel uncomfortable. Hardly anyways.

But I agree, whole heartedly, no p.j.'s, bathroob, or slippers. Pool garb is different. It is possible that the people you saw were on their way to the pool or back from it? Aren't there just certain times they serve refreshments in the lounge?

There is a certain level of acceptable casualness being that it is a family resort. That has to be as this may be a more expensive/newer/closest to the park hotel but it is still a family resort, a Disney resort. Aimed to kids and feeling as if you are at home and accepted in all areas at all times. {in the concierge, as long as you pay for it, LOL}.

Does that make sense? You don't want to come somewhere to relax, really relax, and worry about what you are wearing. I still go with the not wearing being a problem.

tjrj
04-12-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by MouseWife

At the P.P. we can walk to the elevator, hope in it and then the hall way is right to the pool area. You don't have to go by any areas where you really feel uncomfortable. Hardly anyways.

Bingo MouseWife! Don't get me wrong-the GCH is truly a "Wow!" hotel-especially the lobby. It's lovely-and they definitely have my favorite hotel bath. But I felt supremely uncomfortable going through the more public areas even in a coverup and flip-flops. I preferred the tower situations of the DLH-elevator, tile floor small lobby, straight to the pool area pretty much. Haven't tried the PPH-maybe next time.

dgdisney
04-12-2003, 08:09 AM
My two cents--we will be staying at the GCH concierge level in May and I have to say that I will be one of those casually dressed folks in the lounge - dressed --but that could be jogging togs or bathing suit wrap. I am not really concerned what people wear - it would probably bother me more to know that people were indulging in the lounge without paying for it! In fact, if we thought we would have to "dress up" to access the lounge we probably wouldn't have paid the extra $$ to stay there--who wants to have to worry about how you look on a Disney vacation.

Don't get me wrong - I certainly have certain clothing standards (covering up one's body is a big one) - but if everyone showed up in pjs for the lounge breakfast it would be ok with me! For those paying for it - the concierge lounge is a common area.

Hazlnut - I'm thinking that you just have a good time stirring up controversey on these boards - it has made for interesting reading!:)

jazzjunkie
04-12-2003, 09:20 AM
Show some class is all I'm saying.

That's funny, after watching all those Disney movies, I always thought "class" had to do with innate qualities, not something based on appearances alone. Perhaps this woman had her reasons, improbable as they may seem? Who would have thought... "class" still matters at the happiest place on earth.

Glad I've been put in my proletariat place though. HoJo here I come!

MouseWife
04-12-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by jazzjunkie
Glad I've been put in my proletariat place though. HoJo here I come!

Hey, it doesn't matter where you stay. You are so right, class is not something that is bought and paid for. Nor should respect be given to someone just because of where they are staying or not staying.

Just because I take my kids to a hotel that is a deal doesn't mean I love them any less than someone who pays a fortune to take them to the concierge at the G.C. or that I don't deserve respect.

I have only stayed there once. For the soaps thing. I am planning on staying there again for the soap thing. On a regular basis, I can not justify spending that much money.

hazlnut
04-12-2003, 02:11 PM
For the record, I'm the biggest bargain hunter in the world. I prefer PP over GC. I do the concierge thing once in a while as a special treat for my wife.

CG is pricy though, and just like when you go into an expensive club or restaurant you expect people to act a certain way.

Maybe class is not the right word. Modesty, perhaps.

MouseWife
04-12-2003, 03:35 PM
Maybe class is not the right word. Modesty, perhaps.

Yes, that is a better word.

Like, if a bunch of kids were there in their Dr. Denton's that would be acceptable. And really cute.

As if you are at home but at home you wouldn't walk around your houseguests exposed.

Yep, it is a big treat. :)

That deal that PARK_HOPPER mentioned is something that I will look into next time I stay at the P.P. I think that is still too high for concierge.

KateyMcButterpants
04-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Two weekend ago, my husband, our 11 month old baby, and I stayed at the Disneyland Hotel on one of the Conciege Levels. All three of us wore our pjs to view the fireworks from Concierge Lounge. Mary wore her footie jammies and my husband and I wore our very nice pajamas. No one seemed offended by this. The CM who passed around glasses of milk thought it was a great idea. The other guests smiled and giggled and said things like, "Oh! you're in your jammies!" or "Don't you three look cute?!"

We're going back this weekend and we will probably do the same thing.

MouseWife
04-15-2003, 05:18 PM
Hi KateyMcButterpants!

Sounds like a lot of fun. :) I love the footed P.J.'s!! I had some when I was 16! Pink ones!

I think the problem mentioned before {that I agreed with} was with the lack of clothing worn.

Welcome to the board and enjoy your next visit!!

carsoni
04-15-2003, 06:33 PM
I've stayed at the Ritz Carlton concierge level (Club) and have seen people in all sorts of dress or lack thereof. I think as long as they aren't naked or showing anything, it's okay. Nothing to call people names over, it's their behavior, not their dress that matters.

DaddyB
04-15-2003, 11:10 PM
Craftsman Club?

Didn't I sign up for that a while ago at Sears.com?

ryguy
04-15-2003, 11:37 PM
youre all getting way to PC and way too uptight just chill and enjoy the craftsman club or whereever your at Disney products for for everybody and everyones got different preferences and different veiws thats what we're all about, just as long as nobodys naked or something it should be cool just enjoy yourself

DaddyB
04-16-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by ryguy
youre all getting way to PC and way too uptight just chill and enjoy the craftsman club or whereever your at Disney products for for everybody and everyones got different preferences and different veiws thats what we're all about, just as long as nobodys naked or something it should be cool just enjoy yourself

yeah. That and protective eyewear.