PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight Processional 2010

Pages : [1] 2

DJsDaddy
09-14-2010, 11:58 AM
I know its a little (lot) early but has anyone heard anything about the Candlelight Processional for this year? I'm wondering how the D23 dining package worked out and if they were going to stick with the same this year or go back to allowing AP's to purchase dining packages.

the S factor
10-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Any dates yet?
I need to plan!

tinkmlj
10-16-2010, 06:58 PM
I have a question about the Candlelight Processional. If we are trying to enter the park during the CP will we be able to get in. Will there be a path to get past Main street to the rest of the park? We will be there on Sunday Dec 5 for our first day. We usually get to the park around lunch time, play for a while then go back to check into our hotel around 4pm. After we settle in we then head back to Disneyland. But that will probably be right during the Candlelight Processional so I am a little concerned. I really want to spend our first night at Disneyland so I would rather not go to DCA. (Especially cuz we will probably be spending the next two evenings in DCA with the cast partys Mon and Tue). Thanks :)

tinkandsnowmum
10-16-2010, 07:03 PM
The cast members kept everyone moving down the left hand side of Main Street and the tunnel. As we were leaving CM constantly kept the crowd moving if you were lingering to listen and watch the processional. It is crowded but you can certainly make your way along Main Street. From the hub on it was business as usual.

WITron
10-16-2010, 08:29 PM
The other option would be to walk through Downtown Disney and catch the monorail. That way you won't have to fight the crowds.

olegc
10-16-2010, 10:14 PM
in a bid to alleviate all the complaints about registration for dining options on Candlelight - I predict Disney will revert to a massive Rock-Paper-Scissors competition in the Grand Californian Hotel for reservations instead of their computer system crashing again.

Of course - the cost of adding this new feature will be added to the overall price of the package. :D

Gigipingon
10-18-2010, 02:57 PM
What's this candlelight event? When is it?
Thanks

mre200200
10-19-2010, 01:24 PM
What's this candlelight event? When is it?
Thanks

It's an event celebrating the Christmas season put on by members of the Disney choir, Disney cast members, as well as some local school choirs, and a featured speaker. Disneyland turns the Main Street Railway Station into a giant stage. Everyone walks in holding candles and they line up on the stage and sing Christmas carols. In between songs, the guest speaker reads the Christmas story.

There's no extra cost to watch it if you're already in the park, but Disney does usually put out a dining package where you can pay for a meal and get a better seat. Everyone else has to stand behind them.

Unlike WDW, they only do this on one weekend in December. I believe the past couple years it has been the first weekend of December. It's on that Saturday and Sunday, and there are 2 shows each night.

I have photos from 2008 and 2009 listed in my signature.

emgm
10-20-2010, 06:41 AM
Last year they didn't offer an opportunity to purchase the dining package to the general public, or even to AP holders. Instead, the reserved seats were sold as a package deal to D23 members only. I don't remember the price but it was expensive.

There was standing room only sections behind the reserved seats for all of us unable to buy a D23 ticket.

Also, this is at Epcot nightly in December at WDW, and their web site listed a lot of information, including the entire program. The program is basically the same thing at Disneyland, but it's not advertised here.

Wkr3kt
10-23-2010, 05:37 PM
Is the park pretty crowded that weekend?

stan4d_steph
10-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Is the park pretty crowded that weekend?There can be large crowds for the processional, but they are concentrated on Main Street near the train station.

misdisney
10-26-2010, 04:45 PM
If you love Christmas and happen to be there that weekened... don't miss it. It's truley beautiful!

twindaddy
10-27-2010, 12:16 AM
Last year I was in the park on CP night, they CM's had foot traffic moving swiftly around the show. The rest of the park was pretty empty, about standard crowds for that time of year.

TowerofTerror
10-28-2010, 12:48 AM
I wanna see it this year

cvcgolf
10-29-2010, 09:49 AM
This is one reason why I bought an annual pass.

danyoung
10-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I simply don't understand why SoCal can't put on a show with the same frequency as WDW. Florida does the show nightly, 3 times a night, for about 3 full weeks, with a different celebrity narrator every 2 or 3 days. And they sell a lot of combination dining and seating packages for it. The show is packed for every showing I've ever been to. It seems to be so popular at DL that it makes no sense that they don't find a place where they could do it for a longer run. I know it would never work for that long to tie up Main Street. But there are plenty of other locations around the park(s) that could handle that large of a crowd. Bigtime moneymaker, and the crowds would be much happier.

The Mouse Is Back
10-29-2010, 05:02 PM
I simply don't understand why SoCal can't put on a show with the same frequency as WDW. Florida does the show nightly, 3 times a night, for about 3 full weeks, with a different celebrity narrator every 2 or 3 days. And they sell a lot of combination dining and seating packages for it. The show is packed for every showing I've ever been to. It seems to be so popular at DL that it makes no sense that they don't find a place where they could do it for a longer run. I know it would never work for that long to tie up Main Street. But there are plenty of other locations around the park(s) that could handle that large of a crowd. Bigtime moneymaker, and the crowds would be much happier.

It's always like this between DL (the original) and WDW. They get first-class treatment when it comes to special events, merchandise, seasonal offerings, shows, hotels, transportation, you name it. We're lucky if we get some leftovers from Orlando, and they usually have leftovers, meaning they actually order enough for everyone to get a shot at buying it.

The "not enough space" argument doesn't hold enough water to excuse the shoddy treatment Walt's original dream gets compared to the MK at WDW - which he wasn't even really interested in, he had moved on to Epcot by then.

Guests are treated relatively equally at WDW - not so at DL. There's nothing wrong with offering special events, or packages for premium seating, but when it gets to the point that the only people who are offered the chance to even purchase a package are the ones who are willing and able to buy into a super-secret-handshake tier, there are pretty significant problems with management's attitude toward the commoners.

Ally

DJsDaddy
11-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Marie Osmond will be releasing a 'Candlelight' keepsake doll on November 16th. I know it's not that close to the processional date but does anyone think this could be any indication that she might be this years narrator?

Sosai X
11-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Marie Osmond will be releasing a 'Candlelight' keepsake doll on November 16th. I know it's not that close to the processional date but does anyone think this could be any indication that she might be this years narrator?

probably not, she releases Disney-based dolls from her doll collection quite often.

KarenW2
11-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Marie was a last minute fill-in narrator a few years back. I think the scheduled narrator was Louis Gossett Jr., or someone like that and he was ill on the first day of Candlelight. Since Marie had been in the park that day already, doing a signing for one of her releases, they asked her to fill in.

We thought she did a great job, especially considering she got the job at the last minute!

Pammer
11-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Marie was a last minute fill-in narrator a few years back. I think the scheduled narrator was Louis Gossett Jr., or someone like that and he was ill on the first day of Candlelight. Since Marie had been in the park that day already, doing a signing for one of her releases, they asked her to fill in.

We thought she did a great job, especially considering she got the job at the last minute!

I think that was in 2004...I was there that weekend for my birthday, and I remember hoping that I would get to see her on that Sunday; however, it rained all day and they ended up canceling the performance! On the plus side, the rain kept all of the locals away and we managed to get on ride after ride after ride after ride with little to no wait. :D

disney_leonard
11-03-2010, 01:53 PM
It's always like this between DL (the original) and WDW. They get first-class treatment when it comes to special events, merchandise, seasonal offerings, shows, hotels, transportation, you name it. We're lucky if we get some leftovers from Orlando, and they usually have leftovers, meaning they actually order enough for everyone to get a shot at buying it.

Ally

It's funny because the people in FL think the same about us, particularly when it comes to D23 events. The Main Street Station is a terrible location for multiple nights because it clogs entry and exit to the park. In WDW it is held at the American Pavillion in EPCOT. Where in DLR can they do this many nights when crowds are building to the holiday peak? Maybe somewhere in DCA? A floating stage so they can use the WoC viewing area?

KarenW2
11-04-2010, 12:51 AM
at what's now called the Fantasyland Stage! We thought it worked really well there, since there was plenty of seating and you could see much better than if you had standing room or were further back in the seats. The dinner package seating tickets entry to the venue had some problems (we had the top package and were told by CMs to go stand at the end of a very long line that turned out to be for the cheap seats!!), but we thought it was much better to have the CP there, than clogging up the entry, with fewer seats and a worse view.

I don't remember why they decided not to do it there again, other than they have shows in there now and the Main Street Station was "tradition", but I'm sure someone here will know the answer to that question.

The Red Head
11-05-2010, 07:51 AM
at what's now called the Fantasyland Stage! We thought it worked really well there, since there was plenty of seating and you could see much better than if you had standing room or were further back in the seats. The dinner package seating tickets entry to the venue had some problems (we had the top package and were told by CMs to go stand at the end of a very long line that turned out to be for the cheap seats!!), but we thought it was much better to have the CP there, than clogging up the entry, with fewer seats and a worse view.

I don't remember why they decided not to do it there again, other than they have shows in there now and the Main Street Station was "tradition", but I'm sure someone here will know the answer to that question.

They only did it at the Fantasyland Theater for 2 or 3 years. It had always been done on Main Street and they moved it back to there about 10 years ago. The first time I saw it was in the Theater and people who had seen it on Main Street were terribly disappointed to have it back there. I don't know why they moved it back to Main Street either, but I must say it is prettier on Main Street, it has a better atmosphere.

danyoung
11-05-2010, 08:42 AM
I'd guess that this was a case of the guests (meaning the annual passholders) were freaked out at the show happening back at the Fantasyland Theater, and complained enough to force Disney to move it back to Main Street. In every logistical factor the FT is a much better location. But Main Street is awfully pretty at night, and the guests have spoken!