PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain is CLOSED until 2005

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Darkbeer
04-10-2003, 11:59 AM
A poster over at MouseInfo.com is claiming that Space Mountain closed today, and will remain closed for the long expected rehab.

Also, at LaughingPlace, another user has reported that the StarCade has been closed, and that they are removing the video games.......

I will be stopping at the resort tomorrow evening, as I have to go to LAX tomorrow, but can anyone confirm these closings.

Thanks.

tabacco
04-10-2003, 12:06 PM
I can't imagine that they'd close Space long-term without giving some warning. More likely it's just down for some unexpected quick rehab work for a day or two.

Darkbeer
04-10-2003, 12:14 PM
I am also surprised that they are closing it just before the peak Easter Break season...

It is just one person, and it could be wrong, but I wanted to see if anyone else has more info....

Toady The Eighth
04-10-2003, 12:31 PM
Yuck, I hope not. This would be a pretty inconvenient time for them to close Space Mountain, with one of the busiest weeks of the year coming up..

chelbell
04-10-2003, 12:58 PM
IT'S TRUE!!! I just called Disneyland directly and they confirmed that it closed today.....until 2005. I am so bummed....we're going in May....now we're going to miss Space Mountain, Pirates and Fantasmic!!! Oh well, I'm sure we will find plenty of other things to keep us busy....just a bit disapointing.:

10krbell
04-10-2003, 01:00 PM
Please tell me its not so! I've finally convinced DD to ride it before it goes down!

scaeagles
04-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Allright - who was the poster who suggested they close it so it's certain to be reopened by the 50th? ;) You just took some of the fun out of my July visit.

furbE95
04-10-2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by scaeagles
Allright - who was the poster who suggested they close it so it's certain to be reopened by the 50th? ;) You just took some of the fun out of my July visit.
That was me. I'm so sorry. Who knew that Disney actually listened to us?

I still doubt whether or not this can be true. You would think that they would advertise it in a ploy to pull more people into the park. Plus how could something this HUGE escape everyone online's radar? If true, this decision boggles the mind.

On the other hand, this may help them thin out the dl crowds and direct them to DCA. "Space Mountain is closed?!? Let's go to the other park to ride on Screamin'"

cujosr
04-10-2003, 01:27 PM
Disney has no logical mind and does things for no apparent reason. You guys should know this by now.:D

Toady The Eighth
04-10-2003, 01:28 PM
This is awful!!! How can they actually close Space Mountain for that long? And without any notice????

I am very upset about this!!!!

dsnylndmom
04-10-2003, 01:29 PM
Oh man that sucks unbelievably! I'll be there tomorrow and I missed it last nov. NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:mad:

DisneyFan25863
04-10-2003, 01:31 PM
Nooooo! I wanted ONE last ride before they changed it. The main reason is that I don't ride costers with loops, and if they change it and put in a loop, I'll never be able to ride again! Noooooo! :mad:

cujosr
04-10-2003, 01:36 PM
Yes you will. You won't be able to resist, or you won't know till it's too late.;)

DisneyFan25863
04-10-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by cujosr
Yes you will. You won't be able to resist, or you won't know till it's too late.;)

I don't know. I still only started going on Indy in September :eek:

Darkbeer
04-10-2003, 01:42 PM
I just called Guest Relations, and verified the info, the CM stated it would be closed for a LONG time!

PineapplePrincess
04-10-2003, 01:43 PM
:eek:
I KNEW I should have gone on it last weekend. They have such good timing don't they, just before summer and everything. They must think that Pooh will make everyone forget about SM...yeah that's it...:rolleyes:

JRob2k1
04-10-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Toady The Eighth
This is awful!!! How can they actually close Space Mountain for that long? And without any notice????

I am very upset about this!!!!

Did ya ever think there might be a good reason for this? Maybe something happened where it had to be shut down? I would rather have it shut down now, then during the 50th.

I mean it's only Space Mountain.

"Everything at Disney is subject to change without notice." Standard line most people should be familiar with by now.

-JRob

JRob2k1
04-10-2003, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Imhere
:eek:
I KNEW I should have gone on it last weekend. They have such good timing don't they, just before summer and everything. They must think that Pooh will make everyone forget about SM...yeah that's it...:rolleyes:

But you guys would have complained if Space wasnt open by the 50th.

Can Disneyland ever win?

-JRob

furbE95
04-10-2003, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by JRob2k1
But you guys would have complained if Space wasnt open by the 50th.
That's exactly what i said in a thread i started about it! And no one seemed to agree with me!

But they could have at least given us some warning to get one last ride in. Let's hope the new ride will be absolutely amazing, so people won't remain bitter about it.

Mort
04-10-2003, 01:53 PM
So surprised by this that I had to call the resort myself and see if it is true. Sadly, it is. The person I spoke with said they we're equally surprised and that the ride officially close for refurbishment today . . . 'actually about 10:30'.

Maybe that's when they found out the ride wouldn't be opening. But IF - - - and that's a big IF - - - the ride was actually working this morning and then they decdied to close it early in the day and suddenly start the 2 year rehab, then they must have experienced the mother of all 101s.

But even if it was a decision made overnight, clearly they discovered something inside the mountain to prompt the sudden shutdown. You don't close a big attraction like this just before Spring Break without a good reason.

(BTW, when the person read the official DL statement to me over the phone, it mentioned the new SM would have new new technology, digital effects, a new queue, and enhanced sound. No mention was given about launching from the old People Mover station, gosh darn it.)

Darkbeer
04-10-2003, 01:54 PM
I called Guest Relations at the Disneyland Resort, and they did confirm that Space Mountain is closed, and will remain closed for the major rehab.

(I know I started another thread, but I wanted the Subject to stand out, maybe a moderator can merge the topics, but make this one the Subject title.)

furbE95
04-10-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Mort
(BTW, when the person read the official DL statement to me over the phone, it mentioned the new SM would have new new technology, digital effects, a new queue, and enhanced sound. No mention was given about launching from the old People Mover station, gosh darn it.)
I'm happy to hear that it will not be part of the peoplemover track. I would love to see that track be used for (god forbid) the peoplemover!

Rallymonkey23
04-10-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Mort
No mention was given about launching from the old People Mover station, gosh darn it.)

GOOD!! Now I can still hang on to my hopes that the Peoplemover will come back! :)

As far as the sudden closure. I agree, maybe something happened to where they HAD to close it when they did.

innerSpaceman
04-10-2003, 02:32 PM
If they have it completed by the 50th, I will be glad they closed it now. But I truly wish that there was some warning so that I could have ridden once more (or twenty times more likely).

I wouldn't expect any warning to come through official channels, but - like someone above posted - how come no warning thru our vast network of internet rumormongers? This is an egregious breach of the DisneyfaNetalert System!!

I, too, suspect a humongous 101 situation that resulted in a spontaneous decision to bump the rehab up. If not, then my Tomorrowland CM sources have a whole lot of explaining to do.;)

But, hey, until the subs or circlevision or, for lordie's sake, something opens in TLand, let's all get together and wander around there with white sheets on, moaning in a spectral fashion as the new denizens of GhostTownLand.

And for my first ghostly wail, in response to the sudden 2-year closure of Space Mountain, I hereby moan:

WWWaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh ! ! ! !

Ghoulish Delight
04-10-2003, 02:35 PM
:( :mad: :(

I'm elated that the work is going to be done and look forward to the new and improved ride....

But I would have liked to have given my old friend one more ride before it gets changed forever! Some warning would have been nice! Heck, it's closing for 2 years. How about a media campaign. "Last chance to ride for 2 years!" That would have brought people through the gate.