PDA

View Full Version : Pooh, etc.: Send it to Hong Kong!

merlinjones
04-10-2003, 09:49 AM
Hey... Here's the perfect financial solution for the failed Disneyland Pooh ride and Astro Oribitor... Send them to Hong Kong! Both rides are slated for the HK Disneyland. Since that is rumored to be a downscale park for newbies... why not just charge off those rides to Hong Kong, pack 'em up and ship 'em over. Then they can start over with Pooh's Hunny Hunt here (in Fantasyland) and put the mod Rocket Jets back up in the middle of Tomorrowland where they belong!

Same goes for Tarzan's Treehouse (which is also scheduled for HK). Send the trappings over there and restore Swiss Family Robinson at DL (even if they have to gut WDW for the props).

What a nice solution to charge off mistakes and gain improvements/restoration! Everyone wins!

furbE95
04-10-2003, 01:07 PM
While i would like to see that all three attractions were out of sight, i wouldnt exactly call this solution cost effective. The actual Pooh ride cost nearly nothing. I believe nearly half the money spent on the attraction was spent on labor and preparing the old BCJ stage to fit the ride. All this money is never coming back, so i doubt it would be smart to can the ride this soon.

merlinjones
04-10-2003, 02:56 PM
Apparrently, the ugly Pooh vehicles were quite expensive, though, and would be happier in Hong Kong.

jazzjunkie
04-10-2003, 07:12 PM
You know, not all people who live around that area are unschooled rednecks. The people who will be able to afford Disney pricing in that region are likely to be people who have already visited the other Disney parks. Not to mention that Japan's Tokyo Disney is a shining example of how things can be done right. So I'm pretty sure they'll (well ok, I will) notice how crappy the Pooh ride will be.

Besides, wouldn't it be better for Disney if they had some decent attractions? To entice guests (or as you call them, newbies) into visiting the "real" parks? I'm pretty sure theycould use the extra money. Out-of-town guests spend more, I'm sure...

furbE95
04-10-2003, 07:32 PM
If out of town guests spend more, why are they opening this new park? The more regions they build in, the less people will have to travel. Didn't disney overbuild their disneystores? Why do the same with parks?

merlinjones
04-10-2003, 08:30 PM
Well, I'm with you. I think a cheap Disney park is a bad idea for the brand anywhere on Earth. But that is already how they are approaching it, and a cheap Pooh dark ride is scheduled for Fantasyland - - the only one! Believe it or not, according to current plan... they won't even have a Peter Pan!

So send them our Pooh and let it be out of Disneyland anyway, since they'll be getting a downscale clone according to plan. Sadly.

Same goes for Tarzan. Ship those store mannikins to China!

Buh bye...

YellowMan
04-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Wow merlinjones! You have so many good ideas! I don't see any reason why Disney wouldn't do this.:rolleyes:

merlinjones
04-11-2003, 06:26 AM
>>I don't see any reason why Disney wouldn't do this.<<

Recycle, reuse, renew... restore!

Send it all to China!

jazzjunkie
04-11-2003, 09:04 AM
If out of town guests spend more, why are they opening this new park?

Because it's intended to be a kind of "teaser", to entice them into visiting the real thing. However if the (pricy) sample sucks, why would anyone pay for more of the same?

Sad all around.

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 09:11 AM
My two and half year old like the new pooh ride, isn't that what it's all about?

I don't think it was designed with adults in mind.

merlinjones
04-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Just for kids? That's the problem...

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=15395

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Just for kids? That's the problem...

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=15395

For the young at heart, I enjoy watching my daughter enjoy it, a vicarious thing...

merlinjones
04-11-2003, 03:07 PM
>>For the young at heart, I enjoy watching my daughter enjoy it, a vicarious thing...<<

How would this be negatively impacted if the ride were good?

Send it to Hong Kong.

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 03:11 PM
It just opened... how did it already fail??:confused:

innerSpaceman
04-11-2003, 03:26 PM
Correction. It failed before it opened.

It was soft-opened for like 2 weeks before cast-member-previews, which was a few days before reservations-only-AP-previews, which was a week before official opening. Heck, the thing failed before AP-reservation-previews.

That's not to say there won't be interest by the general public in the first new Disneyland attraction in umpteen years, but the reaction so far is scientificapolling indicative of a general reaction in the range of ho-hum to outrage.

Best thing I've heard from a guest about Pooh is that it's not the most horrible dark ride ever created. On the other hand, I have heard several target-audience age kids say it's boring.

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 03:32 PM
I guess your right.

But my daugter still pointed to the Pooh bear at the end and said: "That's Pooh Bear."

It worked for her... and me.

merlinjones
04-12-2003, 12:59 AM
>>But my daugter still pointed to the Pooh bear at the end and said: "That's Pooh Bear."<<

Because it was.

And still would have been if he were fully animatronic, textured and surrounded by animated bees.

jazzjunkie
04-12-2003, 08:17 AM
Send it to Hong Kong.

Condescending.

merlinjones
04-12-2003, 08:26 AM
>>Condescending.<<

Right! The ride was very condescending in concept and execution, as is the marketing message and I suppose the underlying intentions of those involved. No respect for the guests ("They won't know the difference" "It's just for kids, anyway" - - very condescending indeed!). Not really in tune with Walt's traditional expansive message for Disneyland - -

- - and that's why it should go to Hong Kong (no offense to the Chinese, that's a comment on Disney's current concept for HKDL execution, which will be along those same lines I guess)!

Rallymonkey23
04-12-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
On the other hand, I have heard several target-audience age kids say it's boring.

Including my daughter. And she's 5.

Was she was one of the targets? :D

Germboy
04-13-2003, 02:35 AM
http://www.calendarlive.com/cl-wk-kids10apr10,0,3737195.story