PDA

View Full Version : Pooh new? Nah - Los Angeles Times, 4/10/03

Darkbeer
04-10-2003, 02:27 AM
Pooh new? Nah (http://www.calendarlive.com/family/themeparks/cl-wk-kids10apr10.story) - Los Angeles Times, 4/10/03

QuikQuote: Once upon a time, Disneyland built innovative, exciting attractions that helped make it the world's most popular and beloved theme park. Today, many of its former designers are out of work, laid off from Disney's kingdom. Some did go on to design other companies' parks, such as Universal's spectacular Islands of Adventure in Orlando, Fla. Those who remain work with meager budgets, turning out retreads of previous designs. To further slight local fans, much of what Disney executives do approve goes first to Walt Disney World in Florida before appearing in Walt's original park.
The "Pooh" ride and the upcoming clone of Florida's "Tower of Terror," now under construction at California Adventure, were the last West Coast attractions approved under the leadership of former Disney theme park chief Paul Pressler. Today, local theme-park fans eagerly await a sign that his replacement, Jay Rasulo, will do better than the modest "Pooh" and restore Disneyland to its traditional position as the standard for the world's theme parks.

merlinjones
04-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Thank you, Robert Niles, for telling the truth.

They should have seen this coming and delayed the opening of that ride until something decent could be done.

furbE95
04-10-2003, 01:12 PM
It's great to see articles like this that will reach the eyes of people other than the few die-hard disneyfans online.

I also enjoyed his description of the story. I had no idea it had one, as i didnt notice it when i rode on it.

Toady The Eighth
04-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Wow. That's a really good article. Hopefully the people who make the important decisions as far as Disneyland is concerned will take note!

merlinjones
04-10-2003, 02:35 PM
To the anti-gripe contingent: See? It isn't just us!

Toady The Eighth
04-10-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by merlinjones
To the anti-gripe contingent: See? It isn't just us!

:D

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 08:55 AM
Guess what? The next big attraction for DCA is a Florida retread. TOT!! But, don't forget, we got Indy first.

They don't build 'em like they used to. Walt had an imagination and a way of spending money (POC, HM) that drove his brother crazy. He wanted to reinvent the amusement park.

The people running the 'show' today just want to put butts in the seats and spend as little money as possible.

Still, so much of Walt remains at the Magic Kingdom, it's hard to complain.

Also, I'd wish they'd stop calling DOC the 2nd park. It's still only barely two-thirds an amusement park.

Germboy
04-13-2003, 02:43 AM
Oh you beat me to the punch, darkbeer. Someone sent this article to me as soon as it came out and I thought--"I've got to post this on MP!" I just posted it a second ago in one of the appropriate threads, and was going to wow merlinjones with it. We've all had a big back-and-forth in the "gripe gripe stop please!" thread. It is funny that merlin's reading this, because I was going to point out that thank goodness WE ARE NOT THE ONLY ONES GRIPING. But even merlinjones beat me to the punch.

In fact, I'm going to try to post this in that thread right now, because I want EVERYONE over there to see this.