PDA

View Full Version : Rating the dark rides

Pony Sugrue
04-09-2003, 03:34 PM
Pretend that you're a kid coming to the park for the first time. You don't know which ride is new/old or have any inkling of "tradition". You're just there to have a good time. In what order do you think you would rank the following "Dark Rides"?:

Alice
Mr Toad
Peter Pan
Pinocchio
Snow White
Roger Rabbit
Winnie the Pooh

I'm not counting the superior PIRATES, INDY or HAUNTED MANSION here... just the kiddy black-light/flourescent paint type rides

Gemini Cricket
04-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Here's my list:

Peter Pan's Flight
Alice in Wonderland
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

Snow White's Scary Adventures
Pinocchio's Daring Journey

I haven't been on Pooh yet. But if it's anything like WDW's version, I'd rank it after Toad.

:)

Darkbeer
04-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Peter Pan, because you are flying

Mr Toad, because you get to go thru a lot of special effects, the fireplace, the train, Hell, etc.

Roger Rabbit, because the car spins, and all the cool effects

Alice, since the car goes in and out of the building, and the special effects.

Then, after that..

Snow White
Pinocchio
Pooh

Three basic sets, short ride length, standard ride vehicles (why did I have to stand in line and wait for that?)... let's go to the Goofy's Bounce House!

DisneyFan25863
04-09-2003, 04:12 PM
Peter Pan
Alice
Snow White
Pinnochio
Rodger Rabbitt
TMAOWTP
Mr Toad

YellowMan
04-09-2003, 04:39 PM
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
Alice In Wonderland
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (4th on the list?! I must be crazy!!:rolleyes: )
Peter Pan's Flight
Snow White's Scary Adventures and Pinnochio's Daring Journey tie for last place.

LSPoorEeyorick
04-09-2003, 04:58 PM
I actually went through all of the dark rides back-to-back last week in an effort to put Pooh in perspective.

1) Peter Pan's Flight-- has beautiful 3-D sets and lovely effects, not to mention the fact that you're supsended in the air. Is, perhaps, my favorite ride in the park.

2) Snow White's Scary Adventures-- has very detailed sets and an interesting concept (the focus on the Queen and not the titular characters). Is nearly all 3-D. I was surprised to like it so much; I guess I didn't remember all of the detail.

3) Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin-- has the best queue in the park, next to Indy. The spinning gimmick is cute.

4) Pinocchio's Daring Journey-- I'm a sucker for a Potter's Ghost gag, although I got a little sad when I looked to my right and saw the actual animatronic blue fairy, not the reflected one. I hate spoiling a good trick.

5) Mr. Toad's Wild Ride-- is a classic, with cute gimmicks like the heat in hell, and the lovely fountan. It is particularly 2-D, though.

6) Alice in Wonderland-- is rather lengthy for a dark ride, which is nice, but it's also somewhat 2-D and I'm not particularly impressed with its gimmicks

7) The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-- when I started this list, I really didn't realize it was going to be at the bottom. I thought it'd end up above Toad and Alice... but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that Pooh doesn't
have many fun gimmicks. I do love the music, I enjoy the blustery day... but mostly, I like the stream and the poohsticks bridge. That's not even a part of the darn ride.

Ace
04-09-2003, 05:29 PM
I haven't been on Pooh (I'm going next wednesday) but I can rate the others, except for Snow White as I haven't been on it in forever and can't remember it.

Alice- Because it's a lot longer / more detailed than most of the others, and the going out on the leaves is totally awesome.
Roger Rabbit- The queue is awesome (good thing we get to enjoy it since fastpass came along) and the ride is also longer than most of the other dark rides. The spinning is cool because it means there's something to see where-ever you look.
Pinocchio- I just like it more than the ones below it. Sue me.
Mr. Toad- It's an OK ride... It's not as good as some people would lead you to believe, though.
Peter Pan- It's a really short ride, especially compared to how long you have to wait almost all the time. It's not a bad ride, but it's not super awesome either.

Tigertail777
04-09-2003, 05:33 PM
1) Alice.. I have always gotten a little thrill out of coming out of the back of the castle and winding around , and the leaf track is neat too. Some of the black light sets are in my opinion some of the best, and I just love the unbirthday cake with sparkling candle. I don't remember seeing the projected hedgehog croquet image 10 years ago though I could swear it was something else.

2) Mr. Toad, you go around in a runway car and go to the bad place... I have always loved stuff that was a bit dark/evil . And the "crash" is a major black light trip. Though the steam is hard on my athsma, I have always thought it such a cool little touch. Fodder for many a child hood nightmare, but I kept coming back. LOL

3)Snow Whites scary adventures... love how it focuses more on the queen, and the mirror part where she turns around is so cool! Plus this ride just seems to have more detail and ambience than pretty much all of the kiddie dark rides.

4) Peter Pan very neat flying gimmick, the sail being in front of you always got on my nerves though. I swear I this was a little different 10 years back too: I sure dont remember all the fiber optics, and I thought neverland had a neat black light rainbow??? I dont remember the end scene with the golden flying ship, not the detail of the tigerlily scene. maybe my memory is messed up?

5) Pinnochio is very nice use of black light, but seems a little stale/flat except for the fireworks fiber optics which I KNOW were not there last time. The monstro thing where it lunges towards you is neat.

I cant rate roger rabbit, or pooh I have never been on either one, but according to video I have seen, and pictures and descriptions Roger would defitately be above pooh, and maybe even above pinnochio. I will say this for pooh, I love the outdoor part of the ride... I have always loved walking around the CBJ area.:crying:

SusanP.
04-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Ace

Alice- Because it's a lot longer / more detailed than most of the others, and the going out on the leaves is totally awesome.
Roger Rabbit- The queue is awesome (good thing we get to enjoy it since fastpass came along) and the ride is also longer than most of the other dark rides. The spinning is cool because it means there's something to see where-ever you look.
Pinocchio- I just like it more than the ones below it. Sue me.
Mr. Toad- It's an OK ride... It's not as good as some people would lead you to believe, though.
Peter Pan- It's a really short ride, especially compared to how long you have to wait almost all the time. It's not a bad ride, but it's not super awesome either.

This is my ranking as well, and for the same reasons. Put Snow White after Mr. Toad, though. I hate the way it just suddenly ends...and they lived happily ever after.

I still get nervous on Alice when you edge along those leaves, isn't that silly?

dsnylndmom
04-09-2003, 06:08 PM
Here's my list, I haven't ridden Pooh yet but I'll be there this weekend.

Peter Pan~I just love this ride, esp. riding it with a child for the first time, they really think they're flying! Plus I always love looking at "the city of London" down below!

Mr. Toad~I've just always liked this ride since I was a kid, the train coming at you was so REAL then! LOL

Roger Rabbitt~The que and the spinning bring this one up to #3 otherwise it would be Alice

Alice~just such a cute idea going in and out and on two levels, the kids always get a big kick out of this ride

Snow White~Great 3D effects, never thought it was scary and my boys have both loved it since they were babies, it's a fun little dark ride

Pinocchio~ties with Snow White I LOVE the fair scene(I know I'm cheesey) but I've loved that part forever.

Since I'm not really a Pooh fan I anticipate it placing last but we shall see!(day after tomorrow!)

merlinjones
04-09-2003, 09:03 PM
1) Alice in Wonderland - - Gorgeous fidelity to the look of the film. Cool effects and detail for its level of ride. Nicely immersive. Cool layout and the outdoor section top it off. The best vehicles too! One of my favorite rides at the park.

2) Peter Pan - - Nothing beats flying over London and Neverland. The only things I don't like aboout this ride are the long wait and the short ride time. I wish it were as long as Alice, and had some lush immersive Neverland sections like that. Love the boats!

3) Roger Rabbit - - Love the spinning. Great design and effects.

4) Pinocchio - - I have always found this unerappreciated. I really like some of the setpieces, especially the workshop ending.

5) Mr. Toad - - Great ride, fun, love hell. It would rate higher if it had more three-dimensional material and fewer flats. The train wreck was more effective in the original version of the ride. Also, the supporting characters and backgrounds should be more in the style of the film. But I still love it! Cool cars!

6) Snow White - - Would rate higher if it had more of an ending, and I've never liked the Queen's spin-around transformation so much (or her peering into the cottage in the wrong guise). What ever happened to the fog? Apple hologram needs work (always has). Love the witchy-centric concept, needs some improvement in execution.

7) Pooh - - You've heard it all. Poor story, layout, characterizations, art direction, styling. ugly vehicles. Short. Doesn't evoke the charming films to me. Looks like the Disney Store - - The Anti-Alice ride. On the wrong side of the park, too.

Matterhorn Fan
04-10-2003, 05:40 AM
1. Alice in Wonderland
1. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

I never skip these on a trip to the park. (These two and the Matterhorn--everything else is optional.)

2. Peter Pan
3. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (love the "falling" room)
4. Pinocchio
5. Snow White

And I haven't seen Pooh yet. I'll save my judgement for after I've seen it myself. (Don't hold your breath--it might be a while.)

hefferdude
04-10-2003, 06:45 AM
My son informed me the physical track layout ( route ) for Snow White, Mr Toad and Pinnochio are actually the same. True?

For me its-

Peter Pan
Alice
Snow White
Pinnochio
Mr Toad
Rodger Rabbitt

Haven't gotten stuck in Pooh yet!:eek:

Doodle Duck
04-10-2003, 07:15 AM
So Cal DRs...
Toad (Great Art and the Train Crossing. Classic pace setter)
Roger Rabbit (BIG Fun Factor and...The Portable Hole)
Peter Pan (Captures spirit of the movie...too short)
Snow White (short...Needs an ending!)
Alice (not a fan of the outdoor section though)
Pinocchio (Tells the story nicely)
Winnie The Pooh (Potential for additions)
Dragon (Legolands partial Darkride & coaster)
Mine Train (Knott's...big but low fun factor)
Scary Dark Ride (Newport Beach...world's smallest)
Kingdom Of The 'Saurs (Knott's...degraded to dust)

and just for the heck of it...the real big guns...

POTC
Indy
HM

Dean Higgins
04-11-2003, 03:56 PM
As much as I love MR TOAD as a property, I can't help but feel like it is the cheapest ride there. Apart from the horse statue and the lil' devils in hell, every stupid thing in that ride is just some die-cut painted wood.

I think the best part about MR TOAD is the outside building... and the fact that MR TOAD still survives even though most kids know so little about the 1949 flick.

Toady The Eighth
04-11-2003, 04:07 PM
Peter Pan
Mr. Toad
Alice
Roger
Snow White
Pinnochio

* Haven't ridden Pooh yet!

hazlnut
04-11-2003, 04:30 PM
Rabbit
Toad
Pan
Snow White
Alice

That under the criteria in the OP.

But my personal favorites

Toad
Pan
Toad
Toad
Alice
Toad

Did I mention that I like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

I have a picture of me getting on in the old cue.

I was 4 or 5 I think.

Doodle Duck
04-11-2003, 05:36 PM
I idea of the 2-D 'flats' in Toad is to put you in a Cartoon not cgi animation. The painting is amazing and unique and EXTREMELY difficult to pull off as Black Light with that amount of detail in the art work.

Pony Sugrue
04-12-2003, 05:19 PM
I guess I never really rated them here.. but I personally would do it this way:

Peter Pan- maybe because you are flying. It is very dream sequence like. Although I do agreee that it is terribly short and the line is way to long to wait in... even on the slowest nights for DL.

Snow White- I think that the blacklight usage is superb in SNOW WHITE. Moonlight and shadows is created here in a very believable way. Great atmosphere. Rather on-model gators etc. for that film.

Pinocchio- as mentioned I think by Merlin Jones, it is really underrated. I love it. I don't know why it is always so barren in that qeue.

Alice- good length and great outside diversion, but I always found that flick kinda obnoxious and was never into it. So i'm not a good barometer for this one.

Roger Rabbit- I always found this property to be obnoxious too... but they went all out with this one. Fabulous job. It would have to be the superior Dark ride to anyone entering the park on an even playing field (i.e. the aforementioned first-timer kid)

Mr toad- I love this property so much... but I have a hard time waiting in line for essentially a bunch of cut-outs. I don't think that it was done in cut-outs to match the 2d animated look. All the dark rides are based on 2d flicks. Just imagine how crummy Pan, Sno White, or Alice would look if those were all cut-outs. I agree though that it has the coolest exterior. I love the fact that DL has the one and only Toad Hall. (of course, the one in the Story book boat ride would be a second hall I reckon).I really wish they'd give it a fresh overhaul.. but I'm afraid that they would ROCKET ROD it if they closed it for something like that... so come to think of it... LEAVE IT ALONE

Pooh- haven't ridden this one either... but I have ridden the one in Florida. It's not bad. I think ol' Pooh gets a hard time since he "gigged" Toad to get into WDW... and he put the COUNTRY BEARS into permanent hibernation in DL.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a show like POLITICALLY INCORRECT - but about goings-on at DL. where someone brought up debates like this thread and the panelists bickered about it?

MonorailMan
04-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Pony Sugrue
Wouldn't it be great if there was a show like POLITICALLY INCORRECT - but about goings-on at DL. where someone brought up debates like this thread and the panelists bickered about it?

That would be cool. But think about it, we allready have it. :D

Pony Sugrue
04-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
That would be cool. But think about it, we allready have it. :D

Yeah, I suppose you're right on that...

plus a TV show based on this subject would bomb pretty badly. Only we Mousepadder types would tune in... and as many of us as there seems to be, we wouldn't make a dent in that mass market level.

Mary Jo
04-12-2003, 05:49 PM
Hi there, :)

My order of preference would be:

Peter Pan
Alice
Roger Rabbit
Winnie the Pooh
Mr. Toad
Snow White
Pinocchio

My 14 yr old loves Winnie the Pooh (of course, she's a big Tigger fan)

I also like in Snow White how you can touch the apple in the queue for a special effect.