PDA

View Full Version : September 2010 Product Releases, Programs & Promotions at the Disneyland Resort

AVP
09-01-2010, 02:56 PM
The September merchandise newsletter contains information about the following programs, product releases and promotions offered at the Disneyland Resort. Click on "Attached Files" below to open the PDF and view full details and images.

[Note: this is something created and distributed by Disney, it's not a MousePlanet document.]

Highlights:

Treat of the Month – Giant Mickey Mouse Peanut Butter Cookie with Chocolate
VinylmationTM Signing with Dan Howard
Kooky Kollection – Coming in September!
Artist Sketch of the Month
VinylmationTM Signing with Casey Jones
Spook-tacular New Halloween Offerings
Artisan Watches
Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique
New Looks “Rock” Studio Disney 365!
Disney Vault 28
Annual Passholder Commemorative Collection
Trick or Treat - Mickey Pumpkin Apple
Meet the Bear-y Newest Member of the Disney Character Family! September 19th

The only thing that really caught my attention here is the "Duffy the Disney Bear" Annual Passholder event at Disneyland on September 19th. (There will be a similar event in Walt Disney World on the 18th). The Disney Bear was featured in the domestic Disney theme parks waaaay back in 2002 when Once Upon a Toy opened at Walt Disney World, and was offered at Disneyland around the same time. Duffy didn't have a name back then (or if he did, it wasn't a major part of his marketing), and there just wasn't a lot of buzz about him. Essentially the Disney Bear was a stuffed bear with a Mickey-shaped outline on his face. He came in a few sizes and colors, and each bear was sold with a story book explaining how Mickey had hugged the bear soooo tight he transferred his iconic markings to the stuffed critter's face. A Duffy walk-around character made a short-lived appearance in 2004 (http://www.mouseplanet.com/7949/Walt_Disney_World_Park_Update), but the character never really took off and the Disney Bear merchandise was quietly moved to the back of the stores.

http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/artofdisneyparks/media/Duffy_logo.jpg

Given his history, I was surprised to come across a large Disney Bear display at Tokyo Disneyland a few years later. At that time it seemed that Japanese park guests were making a much bigger deal of the Disney Bear, but I had no idea HOW big Duffy had gotten over there until I started noticing Japanese visitors to the US theme parks wearing Duffy t-shirts and lanyards, and dangling Duffy keychains from every zipper pull. Duffy has acquired Beanie Baby status in Japan (the early years, when people camped out overnight in front of stores to purchase their precious allocation of 2-per-person), and it looks like Disney is going to try to spread the mania back to the United States with this relaunch of "the bear-y newest member of the Disney Character Family."

I wonder how they'll explain his 8-year absence...

Adrienne

shna
09-01-2010, 04:36 PM
I wonder how they'll explain his 8-year absence...

Adrienne

Boarding school?

cheshirecatgirl
09-01-2010, 05:57 PM
That's funny! I actually have a mini Disney bear from back then!

AVP
09-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Boarding school?Or a really, REALLY long foreign exchange program. :o)

AVP

janell
09-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I can't find information about the Duffy event. Like does it cost to attend the event and if so how much? (sorry I don't have computer access this week, I just have an iPhone. So maybe I missed it)

CADisneyFam
09-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Does anyone have any idea how much the vinylmation charactors by the artists cost?

GORGON
09-16-2010, 01:01 PM
I will be there Oct 23 and info on who is signing that date and what series or figurines he/she has done so i could bring some. It will be my first visit for one of these signing so any info would be great :)