PDA

View Full Version : California Entrance Letters

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

guendolyn
09-01-2010, 01:38 PM
I heard from someone that these are being removed. But asked 2 different cast members this weekend and they both said no. But you can ask 10 different cast members the same question and get 10 different answers.

So I am coming here. Are they going away? If so when?

Thanks!

AVP
09-01-2010, 01:59 PM
Are they going away? If so when? Yes, probably starting in January but I haven't heard a final date yet. Remember that this has already been pushed back about a year from the originally rumored dates. Demolition of the mural outside the gates, and removal of the palm trees, will start in October.

AVP

KCKID2NV
09-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Yes, probably starting in January but I haven't heard a final date yet. Remember that this has already been pushed back about a year from the originally rumored dates. Demolition of the mural outside the gates, and removal of the palm trees, will start in October.

AVP
Say it ain't so AVP! :mad:

Every time we go our daughters like to take pictures on the letters "A" and "L" becasue their names start with those letters.

:crying:

PoomShanka
09-01-2010, 02:08 PM
Our daughter Lorelei will be furious when her L is gone!

I hope they transplant the palm trees somewhere and don't just dump them. I can't stand seeing trees destroyed. :(

guendolyn
09-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes, probably starting in January but I haven't heard a final date yet. Remember that this has already been pushed back about a year from the originally rumored dates. Demolition of the mural outside the gates, and removal of the palm trees, will start in October.

AVP

Thanks for the information. We will get 2 more trips to take Family pictures in front of the F. I will miss them and not just for pictures. I think they are something interesting out there in the wide open space.

CariBelle
09-01-2010, 02:18 PM
I made sure to take good pictures spelling out my name this trip because I doubt they will change them from the WoC theme for the holidays this year. Sad!

KCKID2NV
09-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I made sure to take good pictures spelling out my name this trip because I doubt they will change them from the WoC theme for the holidays this year. Sad!

Fight the Power CariBelle! I say we start a "Save the Cali Letters" movement. :mad:

Michael24
09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Wow, they're going to remove the "California" letters? That's news to me. Anybody know why? My brother always loves taking pictures of them.

CariBelle
09-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Fight the Power CariBelle! I say we start a "Save the Cali Letters" movement. :mad:

haha yeah! I am torn on them being gone actually, I like them obviously, but I feel like they crowd the entrance space also.

Anybody know why?

They are doing a complete redo of the entire entrance to DCA.

Disneylandfanguy
09-01-2010, 04:26 PM
Yes, they are indeed removing the letters. As I understand it, the new turnstiles will be where the letters are now. Giving the new park entrance slightly more space inside.

For those sad about the removal of the letters, I understand how you feel, they were fun for people to take pictures with. But honestly, its for the best that they are removed.

The current entrance to the park is meant to make people feel as if they walked into a postcard. Its an interesting idea, but the current entrance and plaza are way too contemporary.

And to date, every Disney park has an entrance that transports its guests to a different time and place.

I'm looking forward to the new entrance and Beuna Visa Street.

And yes, the new turnstiles do look like the ones from Disney's Hollywood Studios, but the reason they are using them for DCA is because the architecture of them is a re-creation of Los Angles' old Pan Pacific Auditorium, so it fits for DCA.

Disneylandfanguy
09-01-2010, 04:32 PM
I hope they transplant the palm trees somewhere and don't just dump them. I can't stand seeing trees destroyed. :(

I'm reminded of when the old trees in Disneyland's hub were removed, they were put in Imagineer Tony Baxter's backyard.

So hopefully, they will be able to transplant the palm trees somewhere.

AVP
09-01-2010, 06:01 PM
I'm reminded of when the old trees in Disneyland's hub were removed, they were put in Imagineer Tony Baxter's backyard.

So hopefully, they will be able to transplant the palm trees somewhere.I'm not a tree expert so don't quote me, but I *think* there's some sort of law in CA that requires mature palms to be replanted. Or at least that's what I remember the excuse being when our former city refused to remove the one that was ruining our sidewalk - they didn't have the budget to deal with relocating it.

AVP

janell
09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
I will be sorry to see the letters go. I understand they want a new enterance but from what I've seen, it looks a little to close to Disney Hollywood Studios at WDW and I'm not a fan of copying or look a likes. Now I could be wrong, it's just the drawings I saw looked to much like Studios for my taste.

KCKID2NV
09-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Yes, they are indeed removing the letters. As I understand it, the new turnstiles will be where the letters are now. Giving the new park entrance slightly more space inside.

For those sad about the removal of the letters, I understand how you feel, they were fun for people to take pictures with. But honestly, its for the best that they are removed.

The current entrance to the park is meant to make people feel as if they walked into a postcard. Its an interesting idea, but the current entrance and plaza are way too contemporary.

And to date, every Disney park has an entrance that transports its guests to a different time and place.

I'm looking forward to the new entrance and Beuna Visa Street.

And yes, the new turnstiles do look like the ones from Disney's Hollywood Studios, but the reason they are using them for DCA is because the architecture of them is a re-creation of Los Angles' old Pan Pacific Auditorium, so it fits for DCA.

Good points. In Disney we trust!

BlkPearlCptn
09-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Actually, I love the letters, the postcard "feel" and the Golden Gate. I'm really going to miss them.

foolishmortal
09-01-2010, 07:17 PM
I for one, love the DCA entrance it makes me happy! We love the sun the tile work is just beautiful, and so amazing at night.

Anyone Know if they are just flat out destroying it or cutting into sections?

Is there any way to buy any of the tile work?

I'm going to miss the letter so much they are very fun.

I'm so going to miss the open wide street areas, makes viewing the parade nice.

That's one thing I have never liked about main street, too narrow, you can't just wonder down the street looking up at all the buildings, making sure you don't get run over by the main st rides.;):p

I know, silly I guess. But it is nice to be able to just stand in the middle of the sunshine plaza and soak it in.

I will really miss that.

The old man
09-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Take 'em out. They're stupid. Look across the plaza on how to make an entrance.

Imaginears
09-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I am not in the same boat as everyone else with the CA letters going away! I was never a fan, as I never quite understand the use of a word to convey the meaning of a space, unless of course it's a logo or sign.

I'm heart broken about the tile Mural. I do think the remodel is for the best but the tile is so beautiful!! I'm with the other member who was wondering about purchasing a portion of it.

I am a little disappointed in the decision to go with the exact replica of MGM's entrance. While the art deco design does fit the themeing, I thought the original concept of an Arts and Crafts style turnstyle area was a much more inviting and period appriate design. Arts and Crafts style was huge when Disney arrived in Southern CA!!!

One other thing I was hoping for was some sort of fountain between the parks as it was originally planned. The trek from Disneyland to CA Advent. seems a bit desolate. An imaginative fountain would really give people a central place to gather between the parks. Disneyland Paris has a wonderful fountain. Something similar would be a nice addition!!!

Kuzcofan
09-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm not a fan of copying or look a likes.

Not to sound mean, but all Disney parks have some sort of copying/look a likes. Look at all the castles. look at all the rides, they are all copies or look a likes.

foolishmortal
09-02-2010, 09:36 PM
I am not in the same boat as everyone else with the CA letters going away! I was never a fan, as I never quite understand the use of a word to convey the meaning of a space, unless of course it's a logo or sign.

I'm heart broken about the tile Mural. I do think the remodel is for the best but the tile is so beautiful!! I'm with the other member who was wondering about purchasing a portion of it.

I am a little disappointed in the decision to go with the exact replica of MGM's entrance. While the art deco design does fit the themeing, I thought the original concept of an Arts and Crafts style turnstyle area was a much more inviting and period appriate design. Arts and Crafts style was huge when Disney arrived in Southern CA!!!

One other thing I was hoping for was some sort of fountain between the parks as it was originally planned. The trek from Disneyland to CA Advent. seems a bit desolate. An imaginative fountain would really give people a central place to gather between the parks. Disneyland Paris has a wonderful fountain. Something similar would be a nice addition!!!

Ditto on the turnstiles and the fountain would be wonderful to see.

I'd really love to see it moved to someplace around the park area it's just to beautiful to waste.

JerrodDRagon
09-02-2010, 10:17 PM
It would be nice if they could move them SOMEWHERE but Disneyland is not a Museum either and they are goingaway to make room for a better theme.

Disneylandfanguy
09-02-2010, 10:28 PM

I am a little disappointed in the decision to go with the exact replica of MGM's entrance. While the art deco design does fit the themeing...

Keep in mind that its not just the art deco, its the fact that the turnstiles resemble an old Los Angles icon; the Pan Pacific Auditorium.

And I'm not in the same boat as everyone else either, didn't you see my earlier post? ;) :)
I just knew how people felt becuase everyone always seems to have fun taking pictures of them.

I don't really mind the turnstiles. Buena Vista Street will be completely new, and will be a much better entrance plaza.

Wombat66
09-03-2010, 10:22 AM
I just knew how people felt becuase everyone always seems to have fun taking pictures of them.

True.

For some reason my wife always wants to get a picture of me sitting in one of the A-holes.

Disneylandfanguy
09-03-2010, 10:32 AM
For some reason my wife always wants to get a picture of me sitting in one of the A-holes.

Haha. ;) :cool:

Imaginears
09-03-2010, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE=Disneylandfanguy;1579883]Keep in mind that its not just the art deco, its the fact that the turnstiles resemble an old Los Angles icon; the Pan Pacific Auditorium.

I assumed the turnstiles were based on some LA Land mark, but thanks for letting us know exactly which. Like I said, I do think the new entrance would be an improvement, but the artist rendering I saw of the arts and crafts style entrance just went so nicely with the transition of Downtown Disney. But no bones about it, I can live with and am excited about the new Buena vista Street and entrance!!!:D

You know when I posted about the fountain I was refering to installing a fountain in the region where there is an inlay of a compass on the outside of the Gates between the two parks. I hadn't thought about it, but the Gold Sun at CA Ad. would also make a beautiful fountain if they moved it to this space. It'd be better than destroying it!

I have a tile in the pavement close by and would like to visit it more but I always feel like I'm in no man's land when I do, so a water fountain in this area would give all people with a tile a place to sit and inspect the condition of our tiles!!!

Lastly, I was serious about purchasing a piece of tile from the Mural just inside the DCA entrance. I especially love the san diego landmark. Does anyone know if Disney has any plans to offer these tiles for purchase to the public?