PDA

View Full Version : First Look at ElecTRONica

Pages : [1] 2

MousePlanet AutoPoster
09-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Greetings, Programs! Get ready for the greatest nighttime dance party to ever rock Disney California Adventure park! Beginning September 24, the interactive, digital world of “TRON: Legacy” will light up Hollywood Pictures Backlot as we gear up for the film’s release on December 17. This will be a cool opportunity to peek inside the world of this movie, and it's available only to visitors of Disney California Adventure park.

More... (http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/DisneyParks/~3/NHm4c2Csh14/)

AVP
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Disneyland has officially announced ElecTRONica, so let the dishing begin.

It starts October 8th, which is really the earliest they could possibly do this because of the Red Car Line construction in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot - Aladdin is on hiatus until then because the Hyperion Theater is rendered inaccessible for a month due to the construction.

Disney says ElecTRONica will run Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays this Fall, and mentions that it run 7 days the weeks of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Tron: Legacy doesn't even open until December 17, 2010 so this is a really long pre-release campaign.

The highlights are said to be "an authentic recreation of Flynn’s Arcade," so that pretty much confirms the rumor that they're bringing the entire ComicCon International setup to DCA. The Disney Parks Blog doesn't mention the Tron: Legacy trailer we've been told will play after dark in the Muppet*Vision theater.

And of course there will be dancing and bars, which means we have another few months of Glow Fest-esq grumbling ahead. ;)

Your thoughts?

AVP

cstephens
09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Your thoughts?

AVP

Looking forward to it. The Comic Con set-up sounded cool, so I'm excited to be able to see it.

lowfidelity
09-01-2010, 10:47 AM
I for one am REALLY looking forward to this (please note my avatar)! I also can't wait to see the full size Recognizer they have in the picture.

To be honest though I never really liked all the Glow Fest stuff and we always passed it up when we were at DCA at night but the Tron theme will definitely be bringing me in. Hope they don't disappoint.

olegc
09-01-2010, 12:55 PM
i think it will be a neat experience - but I just wonder about the tried-and-true themeing aspect that a traditional Disney park is suppsoed to have. initially HPB had a 40s or 30s overlay with interesting facades based on old Los Angeles buildings. and now it's supposed to really be Walt's hollywood once all the uprgades are done.

Now with these overlays that can't really be taken out during the day - is it now to be understood that this is the future of this part of the park? to me - it's like someone saying "well, we're ripping it out anyway, do what you want with it" and while entertaining does it give a beachhead to marketing reps from TDA for future endeavors. We had read rumors earlier in the year that TDA folks could see repeated overlays for many of the holidays all year long.. so by then do we even need named lands and core attractions?

I know - this one went totally off topic - but it made me think a little...

kfreak
09-01-2010, 02:19 PM
I wanna play at Flynn's Arcade. I loved Tron as a kid.

IllusionOfLife
09-01-2010, 05:01 PM
I still say this would work WAY better in Tomorrowland, The TRON aesthetic would blend in with the current theming much better and it wouldn't be hampered by construction in the area (as will likely be the case with Hollywood Pictures Backlot).

I wasn't a fan of Glow Fest, but I will admit, this looks like an improvement, I just wish they had stuck with the plans to do it in Tomorrowland.

JerrodDRagon
09-01-2010, 10:10 PM
The first picture looks realistic but the second picture....I dont see how they'll make the Backlot look even half way as cool as that.

Illy
09-02-2010, 08:05 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I'm hoping that they move the End of Line Club part of their Comic-con setup to DCA more than the Flynn's Arcade section. ;) It was a surprisingly good place to just chill at, and it's definitely a lot more visually interesting than Flynn's.

Although, I will say, I'm also hoping that Flynn's will be open during the day and not just during ElecTRONica's nighttime activities, and that they'll have the new Space Paranoids cabinets there, too.

IllusionOfLife
10-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Here's a small update from the Disney Parks Blog teasing Flynn's Arcade. Sounds like we'll at the very least have Donkey Kong, Centipede, Space Invaders, and Pac-Man, and the games will take tokens (the design of which is a variation of the Comic-Con Flynn's Arcade Tokens).

Here's the link:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/10/catapult-back-to-1982-at-flynns-arcade-at-electronica/?CMP=SOC-DLRUSENFY10Q4DLR_SocMedTwitter0001

Imaginears
10-07-2010, 04:30 PM
i think it will be a neat experience - but I just wonder about the tried-and-true themeing aspect that a traditional Disney park is suppsoed to have. initially HPB had a 40s or 30s overlay with interesting facades based on old Los Angeles buildings. and now it's supposed to really be Walt's hollywood once all the uprgades are done.

Now with these overlays that can't really be taken out during the day - is it now to be understood that this is the future of this part of the park? to me - it's like someone saying "well, we're ripping it out anyway, do what you want with it" and while entertaining does it give a beachhead to marketing reps from TDA for future endeavors. We had read rumors earlier in the year that TDA folks could see repeated overlays for many of the holidays all year long.. so by then do we even need named lands and core attractions?

I know - this one went totally off topic - but it made me think a little...

You make a point, but I think the Old Hollywood themeing will be a wonderful contrast to the changing nighttime presentations in Hollywood Back lot. I think the idea is that Hollywood being Hollwood, the movie business can change its studio space to any locale. So the entrance and core of the Hollywood studios Backlot suggests the old Hollywood style of Walt's day, but as you enter the depth of it, it really transsforms itself to a studio which can really present any theme or locale depending on the popular culture or trend of the day.

This Tron idea is a great concept and one that I really hope captures the imagination of guests because as I've stated before I think it's the best concept and hope for a PERMANANT Tomorrowland makeover and the best shot of getting a new attraction installed on the old Peoplemover track. Yes I know, I'm still crying about the peopleMover. But I'm not gonna stop till its restored or replaced.
Viva the People Mover!!!

TowerofTerror
10-08-2010, 12:56 AM
I cant wait to go see Electronica tonight at DCA the first night the public can see it.

olegc
10-08-2010, 10:23 AM
.. I think it's the best concept and hope for a PERMANANT Tomorrowland makeover and the best shot of getting a new attraction installed on the old Peoplemover track. Yes I know, I'm still crying about the peopleMover. But I'm not gonna stop till its restored or replaced.
Viva the People Mover!!!

off topic - but at the Destination D event it was mentioned that there would be nothing coming back to the PeopleMover track at all in it's state because not only do any new cars require to be up to code - but they would have to install steps and/or ladders every few feet for escape and maintenance in order to comply with California safety laws. So - to me - it would need to be a rip and replace more than anything (or they could put up horrible vinyl railings).

sjhanksaz
10-09-2010, 06:47 PM
off topic - but at the Destination D event it was mentioned that there would be nothing coming back to the PeopleMover track at all in it's state because not only do any new cars require to be up to code - but they would have to install steps and/or ladders every few feet for escape and maintenance in order to comply with California safety laws. So - to me - it would need to be a rip and replace more than anything (or they could put up horrible vinyl railings).

So what does CA say about gondolas like the ones at some of their ski resorts?

olegc
10-09-2010, 09:38 PM
So what does CA say about gondolas like the ones at some of their ski resorts?

i believe that anything still up and running gets somehow grandfathered in (of course there may be some restrictions) but if you change it you must comply. See the Nemo subs and their extra room for how to handle disabled guests.

Iceman
10-09-2010, 10:27 PM
OK, ElecTRONica is absolutely awesome. I liked GlowFest, too, so take that into account, but this new experience is fantastic!

Tonight my party consisted of me (M, 39), my wife (F, 39), our daughter (F, 6) and our au pair (F, 18). We all had an amazing time from start to finish. The dance show was great, the music was great, the lighting effects were great, and the TRON: Legacy preview in the MuppetVision theater was great!

Personally, I found Pleasure Island at WDW to be the ultimate in Imagineering. It was an immersive environment, designed from the ground up to be a Disney experience. Every single sense was tickled, and at it's hey-day Pleasure Island epitomized the idea of providing the ultimate in guest satisfaction, with profits coming after the fact. Disney lost the maigc when focusing on profits first, which led to the eventual closure of the whole place.

ElecTRONinca represents a snippet of what could be in terms of nighttime entertainment at the DLR. The crowds, of all ages, loved the experience. And I can't imagine that Disney was doing anything but making a mint off the drinks, snacks, and merchandise that was available.

If I have once complaint, it's about merchandise. There wasn't nearly enough! Someone asked about discs--according to a CM I talked to, they were sold out within 5 minutes of opening LAST night. Even tonight there were only four styles of shirts available, and most of them were sold out in all but a couple of sizes. It appears that Disney merchandising, in a rare miscalculation, drastically underestimated the demand for merchandise related to this event...

TowerofTerror
10-09-2010, 11:26 PM
It was so awesome the first night on October 8th and the 9min sneak peek in Muppets 3d was awesome

Shunasee
10-11-2010, 07:07 AM
Loved ElecTRONica!!

DH (38) and I (37) didnt care for Glowfest at all!

See as how we watched Tron Saturday afternoon to get pumped up for it, it was more than we expected.

If nothing else, the trailer is a must see. We watched it twice. Flynn's Aracade was so much fun. There were so many games there I had not seen in years, even my favorite Gauntlet. (which is were you will find me every weekend night till this even goes away:eek:).

I wish they played more Daft Punk in the back, but I really only heard it in the plaza.

Mickeygirlforever
10-11-2010, 08:22 AM
I can't wait! I'm going this weekend (I know, I know, it'll be busy). When they say it runs on the weekends, do they mean Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights? I don't want to miss out!

disneylandgirl
10-11-2010, 09:18 AM
I cant wait to go see Electronica tonight at DCA the first night the public can see it.

I was there Friday too. :p

I thought it was pretty cool, but it seemed a little "Un-Disney" to me. Don't get me wrong! I liked it. It just seemed kind of "bar-ish". I LOVED the glowjito. I mainly got it for the cool ice cube. It was $10.50! I would have liked the dance party if I were there with friends or my hubby. There were girl cast members in "tron" outfits dancing on platforms... not anything inapropriate, but the outfits were tight, and I can tell you my husband would have loved it. LOL! It just seemed more like a club, and not so much like you were at DL. I didn't see the preview or anything, just wanted to get that ice cube. ;) And the base speakers were HUGE! :D

kiowa
10-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Disney Parks is celebrating “TRON: Legacy” with ElecTRONica, a nighttimestreet event at Disney California Adventure™ Park, featuring a dynamic visual- and music-based experience, a re-creation of Flynn’s Arcade and an opportunity to see a special 3D preview of “TRON: Legacy.” ElecTRONica runs from now until April 2011 every Friday, Saturday and Sunday night and nightly through the Thanksgiving and Christmas holiday periods.

Looks like it's being extended

Gone2Disneyland
10-11-2010, 11:31 AM
Got there last night around 8:30p to check it out. I'm a geek (46) so naturally, I loved it. Really loved the arcade; didn't play any games, just cased the area. But I def wanna come back to spend some money on Galaxian, Galaga, TRON and the pinball game. Went to with a small crowd (20's-50's) and only the 50+ one said he preferred GlowFest. But he still enjoyed elecTRONica and now feels he needs to see the original TRON after enjoying the preview so he can get caught up on it before seeing the new film. Loved the preview scene; it was the perfect one to show since it lets us identify with Flynn's son who's shown entering the world of TRON for the first time. We all identified with it a lot, plus as others of mentioned, the theatre enhances the experience really well. It was fun to check out the action figures and die cast vehicles before they hit retail stores (but I think one vehicle spoiled a moment in the movie for me); didn't buy any, thinking they should be a tad cheaper when during the Christmas sales when they're finally at Target or TRU. Didn't see any discs I'd heard about for sale; hoping to see them there the next time I check out elecTRONica which'll be def be very soon!!

IllusionOfLife
10-11-2010, 11:42 AM
I want to go check this out so badly! I was one of the Glow Fest haters, but this looks about a billion times better. I'm an Annual Pass holder, but unfortunately I live out of state and I don't have a way of getting there any time soon. I'm glad they've extended it to April, though.

Iceman
10-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I really can't see anyone having a polar opposite view of GlowFest vs. ElecTRONica. They are essentially the same experience, just with a different spin. Yes, I liked ElecTRONica better, probably because of my positive association regarding TRON in general and the lack of flashy colors all over the street during the day. But all in all they are more similar than different.

JerrodDRagon
10-11-2010, 07:55 PM
^Glow Fest just had dancing, this has a Laserman show, Tron Preview, Flynns Arcade (also a Wii Demo) along with cool projections everywhere. Its like what they do with Roller coasters, its the same idea but you add theme and more to it to make it much more than what you are copying.