PDA

View Full Version : DCA Crowds/8/5 Visit Planning Help Please

stevefulton
08-03-2001, 05:35 AM
Hi,

I have a question that maybe some of you can help with.
My wife and I love Disneyland. Our first date ws at Disneyland, we were annual passholders #450 and #451 the first year, and kept annual passes up until 1999. We have not been back to Disneylabd since.

This sunday (Aug. 5th) is our 6th wedding anniversary, and we are both very curious to see DCA, good or bad.
Even if thr park is horrible, it will give us something to laugh about. However, huge crowds will not.
We can only get a babysitter for 1/2 day (our daughter is too small to enjoy anything at DCA) and we were wondering if anyone could answer these questions:

1. How have the crowds been at DCA lately
2. Have the hours changed?
3. Would it be better to get there at opeinng and stay until the afternoon, or get there in the afternoon and stay until closing?
4. Does anyone have a good battle plan for which attractions to see and in what order?

Anyway, and help would be appreciated. I'd hate for this day to turn out badly, so I want to try to maximize our trip in the time we have.

Thanks,

Steve Fulton

80S ERA
08-03-2001, 06:29 AM
Welcome to MP Steve!

Others may have a different take on these answers since one really cannot truly predict what crowds will be like. I have realized that Disneyland tourist guides and websites are always encountering difficulties in predicting crowds - especially at DCA.

1. Expect Sunday to be crowded due to the summer season/weekend. Expect about 20,000+ which translates into 200+ minutes waiting time for the standby for Soarin'.
2. I would verify operating hours by the Dinseyland website or by calling their hotline.
3. Arriving early/leaving mid afternoon vs. arriving late/leaving late both have their pros and cons. Arriving when the park opens allows you to get fastpasses for the most popular attractions (Screamin & Soarin') while leaving late allows you to enjoy the park with less crowds when guests leave after the electric parade. Also, the Paradise Pier is truly a sight to see at night.
4. I personally have never been a fan of a "battle plan" since part of the theme park experience happens from being spontaneous. I would just make sure I had obtained Fastpasses for the attractions I don't want to miss and make dinning reservations if you plan on eating at a popular location (i.e. Napa Rose, Hook's Point, Jazz Kitchen, etc).

My girlfriend and I had a blast on our first visit to DCA - even after hearing about all the negative stories. I'm sure you will, too. It was nice experiencing new attractions for a change. I guess we both really couldn't be disappointed, since we had very low expectations of the park to begin with. However, I feel there really isn't much in the park to make me return anytime soon.

EandCDad
08-03-2001, 06:38 AM
steve, there is another thread in this section called "First Time at DCA" some others are giving ride order recommendations on that thread so you may want to check it out. Good luck and have fun.