PDA

View Full Version : I reserve the right to change my mind

Morrigoon
04-08-2003, 04:12 PM
I have been a vocal objector to the fastpass program. My reasons for objecting remain as they were, however, I have decided that in practice, the benefits for guests using fastpass outweigh the drawbacks which formed the basis of my objection.

In English: I've decided Fastpass is a good thing.

One-day guests I know, as well as ones I don't, have been heard saying how much they love fastpass. I can't argue with happy guests :) and goodness knows that the APs use them! So consider my opinion officially changed on the subject.

Ace
04-08-2003, 04:16 PM
you have to know how to use fastpass to get the most out of them. If you know which machines are disconnected and you realize that they will take the ticket any time after the start time (but not before) then you barely wait in lines.

innerSpaceman
04-08-2003, 04:31 PM
While I, too, reserve the right to change my mind - I remain in loathing hatred of fast pass.

The fact that I know how to "work the system" only makes it worse. I know I can use the Passes anytime after their pre-printed and purported expiration; I know which Fast Passes are disconnected from the system; heck I even know how to get the FastPass machines to spit out as many as I want, and even if I have other valid, unexpired Fast Passes.

Most day guests do not know these things. I'd venture to say that most APers do not know these things. Yet, if I want to experience attractions without an ungodly wait caused by the very existence of Fast Pass, I must use the Fast Pass system itself to avoid the pitfalls created by the system.

I hate the two-tier castes of guests that this engenders, and I deplore the fact that I must either go against my Disneyland ethics or succomb to Fast Pass mania.

I loose sleep at night.

Morrigoon
04-08-2003, 04:54 PM
I feel the same, but I've seen and overheard too many happy guests. Like I said, I can't argue against happy guests.

DisneyFan25863
04-08-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
heck I even know how to get the FastPass machines to spit out as many as I want, and even if I have other valid, unexpired Fast Passes.

Ok, as much as I detest of Fastpass, You have GOT to tell me how to do that! Even if you want to IM it to me, PLEASE tell! It would be so much easier to get Fastpasses for the entire family that way insted of taking each AP and punnting them in, one at a time :eek:

Techie7
04-08-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
You have GOT to tell me how to do that!

I doubt ISM will inform you of how to do this but just in case you figure it out... I can tell you that it is not something I would recomend. CM's know the system as well and often are keeping an eye on the machines. The tickets also make it clear to tell which fastpasses were achieved without an admission ticket. The last thing you would want is to be sitting in the security office trying to explain why you were tampering with company property.

Niwel
04-08-2003, 06:22 PM
Just wondering if anyone knows how close they look at the date ....

DisneyFan25863
04-08-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Techie7
I doubt ISM will inform you of how to do this but just in case you figure it out... I can tell you that it is not something I would recomend. CM's know the system as well and often are keeping an eye on the machines. The tickets also make it clear to tell which fastpasses were achieved without an admission ticket. The last thing you would want is to be sitting in the security office trying to explain why you were tampering with company property.

Oh, well if it involves tampering with machines, then never mind. I don't want to get my AP revoked :eek:

Tigertail777
04-08-2003, 07:07 PM
I absolutely loved fastpass! between it and single rider, we were actually able to do almost every single ride, and some twice! No way would that have happened without FP! I am not sure how you do the unconnected system thing and all of that, but just the basic understanding of FP was great! And though I didnt think to keep many of them, the FP stubs make wonderful scrap book souvineers in much the same vein as the old A-E tickets. I love how every FP has some little logo or tiny art piece... just wish I had thought to save more of them for my collection. Frankly I am a little surprised they dont have collectable FP's... where they change the art every month or so, or have some special sticker or stamp that goes on it to invalidate it, but also has some cool art that is different once in while... a new collecting mania! LOL They could even charge like a quarter or so for the special sticker/stamps... I know I would pay it.:D oh and FP collectors books like the squashed penny books... uh-oh what have I started?:D

Disney Nick
04-08-2003, 07:51 PM
heck I even know how to get the FastPass machines to spit out as many as I want, and even if I have other valid, unexpired Fast Passes

Hey now, that is copyright Nick Moreles 2003! :) God I still remember the day we got everyone at the meet fastpasses for like 6 rides in the morning. 150 fastpasses or so in 1 1/2 hrs was it? :eek:

By the way, no tampering, it's their fault it is possble :)

MammaSilva
04-08-2003, 08:08 PM
fast pass is a wonderful 'tool' for those of us with special needs kids, yeah we can use SAP's but if we use the Fastpass system in conjunction with the SAP program it makes for shorter waits for everyone with an SAP and guests waiting on those SAP guests .

ESS Heckler
04-09-2003, 01:07 PM
OK - I give up - I've been reading this thread trying to figure out how/why anyone could hate the FP system!!
Did you enjoy being stuck in line for 90 minutes waiting for SM or HM or (insert name of favorite ride here)? There was nothing else in the park you would rather be doing?
I don't get it - I think that FP is the best system since sliced white bread - and I don't think that non-Disney regulars who don't know every single in and out of the system are being slighted or disenfranchised in any way by the FP system.
My brothers, who went to DL with me only as a favor in February for one day, had never seen the FP system at work before(they hadn't been to DL in over 10 years) and weren't too sure how it would work. But as very skeptical as they were at the 'beginning' of the day (we didn't get started until almost 3 PM), they were converts by the end. Because of FP we were able to do EVERY major attraction in a very short visit. No way this would have possible without FP! Just MHO.

Ghoulish Delight
04-09-2003, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Tigertail777
I am not sure how you do the unconnected system thing and all of that, For your future reference, the unconnected FPs are very simple to understand. You know that normally once you get a Fastpass for a ride, you cannot get another one until either the window for the first FP opens or two hours passes (whichever comes first). Well, the rides that are "unconnected" don't have that restriction. Meaning, you can get a FP for Pirates (unconnected), then immediately go get one for Indy (connected). Or vice versa. Basically, think of the unconnected rides as freebies, having no bearing on whether you can get FPs for the ones that are connected. You can even get all (well, both in DL as I believe Pirates and Mansion are the only two) unconnected FPs at once. The only restriction is that you cannot hold two FPs for the SAME unconnected ride.

Make sense?

Tigertail777
04-09-2003, 01:35 PM
umm yes I beleive so.... so the ones not part of the system: Indy, Pirates, and HM you can get at the same time as one that IS part of the connected system? (splash for instance).

Theoretically you can have: Indy
Pirates
HM
and one other FP (splash for instance)
All at once? I think I may have accidentally gotten one out of the system along with one in, when we went in July... it left me a little puzzled. So here is another question for people who like to collect the FP's just for their art; if I had a valid HM FP, whose time window was still say 2 hours off, can I still get an invalid FP and not have it affect anything, or does it count each time you stick in your pass? I was trying to collect stray invalid FP's around the machines for my collection for fear it would affect something if I tried to get another. As a result I never got FP's of some rides for my collection, and not all CM's would let me keep the FP's we actually used to get on a ride.

innerSpaceman
04-09-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
For your future reference, the unconnected FPs are very simple to understand . . .[explains that some attractions are disconnected from the system and thus are "freebies"]

Yes, G.D., but how does the average guest know which fast pass attractions are disconnected from the system? They are not advertised and so you must be "in the know" to take advantage of it. You may luck out on it by accident, but it's just as likely that such a happy accident will go unnoticed and unused by the average guest.

Ghoulish Delight
04-09-2003, 03:18 PM
Yes, G.D., but how does the average guest know which fast pass attractions are disconnected from the system? They are not advertised and so you must be "in the know" to take advantage of it. You may luck out on it by accident, but it's just as likely that such a happy accident will go unnoticed and unused by the average guest. Oh don't go draggin' me into this. I'm staying out of the debate this time (learned my lesson). I was just informing Tiggertail, since he mentioned he was confused by it.

can I still get an invalid FP and not have it affect anything, or does it count each time you stick in your pass? No worries. Getting an invalid FP affects nothing.

innerSpaceman
04-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Fool that I am, I will rush in where Ghouls fear to tread.

The answer (to my own question) is that average guests have no way of knowing which fast passes are disconnected from the system and thus have no way of taking advantage of that little intricacy.

Likewise, the average guest has no way of knowing that fast passes can be used any time after the printed expiration time on the day of issue.

Originally posted by kimkinney
Did you enjoy being stuck in line for 90 minutes waiting for SM or HM or (insert name of favorite ride here)? There was nothing else in the park you would rather be doing?
I don't get it - I think that FP is the best system since sliced white bread - and I don't think that non-Disney regulars who don't know every single in and out of the system are being slighted or disenfranchised in any way by the FP system.
I beg to differ. Many people, the people who want to be spontaneous about their day and must use the standby lines, are being disenfranchised by the FP system. I do not enjoy waiting in line for SM (not even that kind of SM) for 90 minutes when I could have been in line for only 60 minutes were it not for the fast pass system which causes the standby line to load slower than it otherwise would.

But back on track (cause boy has FP been debated to death on these boards) - - has anyone else besides Morrigoon changed their mind about Fast Pass, one way or the other?

ESS Heckler
04-09-2003, 07:57 PM
"But back on track (cause boy has FP been debated to death on these boards) - "

You're right!
Being a newer member to these boards, I didn't realize the extensive 'discussions' that have taken place in the past.

Going back and reading some old threads I can see that you are quite passionate in your stand regarding FP, Spaceman, I would be a fool to try and disuade you from your opinion.

I, too, stick by my assessment of the FP system

Viva La Difference!

Karlos the Jackal
04-09-2003, 08:07 PM
Fool that I am, I will rush in where Ghouls fear to tread.

The answer (to my own question) is that average guests have no way of knowing which fast passes are disconnected from the system and thus have no way of taking advantage of that little intricacy.

Likewise, the average guest has no way of knowing that fast passes can be used any time after the printed expiration time on the day of issue.

Yeah, but...so what? That's like saying, hey, it's easy to get on this ride if you go over here and get in this line while there's a parade...but the casual visitor doesn't know that, so I HATE PARADES!

I'm not a DL regular -- we go once a year, and during the week, so I'm less likely to notice stuff like more congestion in the walk ways or fluctuations in standby wait times; the sort of thing that fastpass critics often bring up. But we used FP a lot on our first trip there last year, and loved it. Then, this year, we had the AAA unlimitied FP deal, which we loved with all our hearts.

In fact, it's kinda spoiled us -- I don't know what we'll do if they don't offer the unlimited FP deal next year -- stand in line weeping, I suppose. So technically, no, I haven't changed my mind about FP, but I do love it more and more with each passing day.

--K

Doodle Duck
04-10-2003, 07:27 AM
Fast Pass works for us. I HATE lines for rides I know better than my own home floor plan.

As to 'average' guests and those not aware enough TO ASK or read the signage, I couldn't care less.

I realize this is not the norm for this board and we should love and be concerned for our 'brother & sister' humans...but when it comes to waiting in line, the heck with 'em...humble sucks and I love fast pass. :D

merlinjones
04-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Has anyone seen The Cat in the Hat at Islands of Adventure? It is really a top notch design for modern kids dark rides and a a standard by which Pooh should be measured. Why can't Disney lead anymore...?