PDA

View Full Version : New Napa Rose menu posted

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

AVP
08-29-2010, 09:46 PM
I've posted the newest Napa Rose menu on MousePlanet:

http://www.mouseplanet.com/guide/658/Disneyland-Resort/Grand-Californian-Hotel/Napa-Rose

The menu changes weekly, but this is a snapshot of the type of food they are offering right now. Tony and I had dinner there tonight, and I was VERY pleasantly surprised to learn that they now offer a flight of three non-alcoholic "wines." Our server said it's something they came up with for non-drinkers and pregnant women who don't want to feel left out.

The flight is $15 per person, and tonight it included Martinelli's Sparking Apple Cider, Navarro Vineyards Gewürztraminer and Navarro Vineyards Pinot Noir.

AVP

cstephens
08-29-2010, 10:01 PM
Navarro Vineyards Gewürztraminer and Navarro Vineyards Pinot Noir.

OK, so here's a dumb question - how do those not count as "wine"? I like the former, which is a sweet dessert wine, and I'm not a fan of the latter, which is a red.

AVP
08-29-2010, 10:57 PM
OK, so here's a dumb question - how do those not count as "wine"? I like the former, which is a sweet dessert wine, and I'm not a fan of the latter, which is a red.They're non-alcoholic. They aren't fermeted - it's just the grape juice.

AVP

MadasaHatter
08-30-2010, 11:19 PM
What a great idea. I cannot wait to head back to the Napa Rose this OCTOBER!!!!

Gewurtzraminers are also done in a table wine manner and not always dessert wines. I love them too! The dessert versions ANd the other...but of course....I am mad....

woody9six
08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Pardon me while I enjoy a bit of civic pride and point out that they thought it was important enough to mention that it isn't just any corn they are serving in the salad that comes with the Szechuan Pepper Seared Ahi!

ChurroGirl
08-31-2010, 08:01 PM
That all sounds so good. To bad we arent going until Dec....maybe it will get better!

mulansgirl
08-31-2010, 08:33 PM
I thought non-alcoholic wines were wines that had the alcohol removed. There were tiny trace amounts in the last one I bought like less than cough syrup, I thought. I guess I could be wrong it was a long time ago.

MadasaHatter
09-02-2010, 11:47 PM
All right AVP and cstephens,

"I bow down to your far greater knowledge" (French Lt. Woman) here on your Napa Rose knowledge. I generally dislike looking at online menus as I am disappointed if something is missing or changed but I am SO EXCITED about my OCTOBER visit that I am spending WAAAAAAAAAY too much time here on Mouse Planet....so I would love any and all recommendations about the amazing current menu since I know the two of you dine there a lot and have exquisite taste. ( off topic: that Mickey mouse ears pic you have cstephen....is that new?....I love it....do you think it will be there when I arrive in OCTOBER???)

cheers

madasahatter......

Tony
09-03-2010, 05:44 AM
I thought non-alcoholic wines were wines that had the alcohol removed. There were tiny trace amounts in the last one I bought like less than cough syrup, I thought. I guess I could be wrong it was a long time ago.

These definitely were not wines with the alcohol removed. The winery presses the grapes at a temperature low enough to prevent fermentation from ever starting, then filter the juice to remove any yeasts present. So it is pure grape juice, but made from wine grapes.

cstephens
09-03-2010, 07:33 AM
so I would love any and all recommendations about the amazing current menu since I know the two of you dine there a lot and have exquisite taste.

It's actually a little hard to recommend things, because it's really a matter of what foods/tastes you like. Look at the menu, but don't pick out what you might want now, because in a month's time, there might be a tweak to it or it might be off the menu entirely, if it's a seasonal item. It gives you a good idea of the kinds of things to expect. I normally start with the Vintner's Menu. If I like the choices on there, I have that. If not, then I'll look at the rest of the menu.

A couple things that have been consistently on the menu which are really good are the smiling tiger salad (I had that when it was actually on the Vintner's - great flavors individually and in combination, nice kick of spicy) and the mushroom bisque (great intense mushroom flavor).

That lamb chop on the entree list looks pretty amazing.

I can't say that there's been anything I've ever had there that I thought was poorly done, though there have been dishes that didn't necessarily mesh with my tastes, but that's an individual thing.

Oh, and dessert - their freshly-made strawberry ice cream is a.mazing. If all strawberry ice cream tasted like that, I'd love strawberry ice cream.

( off topic: that Mickey mouse ears pic you have cstephen....is that new?....I love it

Yep, new. Cute, huh? Unless it sells out for some reason, I expect it'll still be in stock in October.

DisVCGeek
09-03-2010, 07:41 AM
I'm curious about trying the non-alcoholic flight; I'm going to NR for the first time on my BD Oct. 19th and have ressies for Chef's Counter. Do you think they'd mind if I ordered regular wine pairings AND the new flight? I'm probably going to share both w/ my wife, so I suppose I could just ask her to order one of them; might be easier... I've heard about special Chef's creations before and see this mentioned on the menu link:

Finally, the truly adventurous can simply request that the chef cook for them. You'll be charged at the same rate as if you'd ordered the Vintner's Table,

and was wondering- is there a particular/proper way you are supposed to order this? I'd feel pretty silly saying "I want to try that custom chef cooks for me thingy"! :eek: I think DW is seriously considering ordering it as well. Her parents are joining us (if i get lucky maybe they'll pick up a significant amount of the bill as my BD present! ;)) but she thinks they probably will just order from the menu...

Alex S.
09-03-2010, 07:48 AM
and was wondering- is there a particular/proper way you are supposed to order this? I'd feel pretty silly saying "I want to try that custom chef cooks for me thingy"!

In Japanese it would be omakase, but they might not understand you and if they did you might get sushi (which is the context in which it is generally used).

I must say I find the idea of serving grape juice so people can pretend they're drinking wine with everybody else kind of odd, but if people want it (and it doesn't lead to people talking so silly about grape juice as they do wine) then it's great that they're offering it.

Karin
09-03-2010, 07:53 AM
and was wondering- is there a particular/proper way you are supposed to order this? I'd feel pretty silly saying "I want to try that custom chef cooks for me thingy"! :eek:

What we said when we did exactly this is when he chef came to greet us and asked what we wanted we said "We want to leave it up to you. Surprise us!" He then asked our likes and dislikes and any allergies as we started to scribble on a piece of paper.

fairestoneofall
09-03-2010, 07:59 AM
When we went two weeks ago Chef came up to us and greeted us, then asked what we had ordered. We replied "Not at thing, we leave that up to you" at that point he asked our allergies, likes, dislikes, etc. SPEAK UP if there is anything you really don't want to eat. This is meant to be enjoyable.

AVP
09-03-2010, 08:33 AM
and was wondering- is there a particular/proper way you are supposed to order this? I'd feel pretty silly saying "I want to try that custom chef cooks for me thingy"!When chef Gloria greeted up last week she said, "what are you having?" We said, "what are you cooking for us?" and that was that.

AVP

adriennek
09-03-2010, 08:53 AM
All right AVP and cstephens,

"I bow down to your far greater knowledge" (French Lt. Woman) here on your Napa Rose knowledge.

So now I'm chopped liver???????? ;) I work very hard to maintain my Napa Rose Groupie standing...

I'm going to suggest that if you can't decide, let the Chef decide for you. You do not have to sit at the Chef's counter to do this. As others have recently posted, you just tell your server that you'd like the chef to choose for you. Personally, I always go with my husband and this is how we order now because this way you can have a big variety of dishes and really get some of everything? Want even MORE of everything?

Fine. EVEN THOUGH you didn't bow down to MY NR experience, I'll give you my very super duper secret ANYWAY: Tell them you want the chef to choose for you and you prefer Tasting Portions. If you get regular portions, you'll get 4 courses (including dessert.) If you ask for tasting portions you'll get 5 courses (including dessert.)

And as others have said as well: be prepared to let the chef or server know any allergies or aversions (we used to tell them no fish but now we say "not too much fish" because we found out by doing this that we actually LIKE fish at NR.) And if there's something on the menu that you MUST try, go ahead and mention that, too. I've been known to end my request by say "And Lamb is my very favorite thing on Earth". ;)

Adrienne

AVP
09-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Tell them you want the chef to choose for you and you prefer Tasting Portions. If you get regular portions, you'll get 4 courses (including dessert.) If you ask for tasting portions you'll get 5 courses (including dessert.) I've never had to request this, it's just how the chef usually presents it. Maybe it depends on the chef.

AVP

DisVCGeek
09-03-2010, 09:03 AM
Excellent; thanks everyone for all the tips! :D This will be fun, and I like the "Tasting Portions" idea...

AVP
09-03-2010, 09:06 AM
I must say I find the idea of serving grape juice so people can pretend they're drinking wine with everybody else kind of odd, but if people want it (and it doesn't lead to people talking so silly about grape juice as they do wine) then it's great that they're offering it.Not to get totally off-topic, but there are some really great non-alcoholic drinks (grape and non-grape) out there, and it's nice to be able to sample them in a setting like this - but I'm not pretending it's wine. So yeah, we're the kinda odd people for whom this is perfect.

AVP

adriennek
09-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I've never had to request this, it's just how the chef usually presents it. Maybe it depends on the chef.

AVP

The first two times I ate at Chef's Counter were unique circumstances so when I went the third time, someone else who is more experienced than I am told me to be sure to mention that I wanted tasting portions to make SURE I got it.

I will say that one time when I went to NR and sat at a table, one person had the chef's choice tasting menu and the other two of us just ordered two items each off the menu/a la carte. Well for one of her servings, the Tasting Menu person got a very small serving of the mushroom bisque and the chef sent over servings for me and the other lady as well.

They REALLY treat their guests well at NR.

Adrienne

Alex S.
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Not to get totally off-topic, but there are some really great non-alcoholic drinks (grape and non-grape) out there, and it's nice to be able to sample them in a setting like this - but I'm not pretending it's wine. So yeah, we're the kinda odd people for whom this is perfect.

I guess it is calling it a non-alcoholic wine flight (especially if it includes apple cider) that conveys to me that it is somewhat tilted towards pretending to be drinking with everybody else. And it now occurs to me that may be what you called it to convey how it was presented not what they were calling it.

Personally I don't want to drink fruit juices with anything other than breakfast egg dishes. But if other people want grape juice with dinner then c'est la vie (though if I'm with them there might be some teasing about whether they'd like a sippy cup or will a juice box be fine).

AVP
09-03-2010, 11:02 AM
And it now occurs to me that may be what you called it to convey how it was presented not what they were calling it.No, that's actually what they called it. I found it a little strange since there actually ARE non-alcoholic wines and that's not what they served, but I was happy with what we got. Most of the non-drinkers in Tony's family would not find non-alcoholic wines appropriate, and would prefer the fruit juice. For me, I think it would be great if they came up with a real de-alcoholized wine flight - Ariel (http://www.arielvineyards.com/wines.html) makes a nice selection.

AVP

Alex S.
09-03-2010, 11:29 AM
And I may be a little too sensitive about being condescended to or looked down upon for not drinking wine having recently had that experience at a reasonably nice restaurant of a waiter doing just that

Boo's Mommy
09-03-2010, 11:34 AM
And I may be a little too sensitive about being condescended to or looked down upon for not drinking wine having recently had that experience at a reasonably nice restaurant of a waiter doing just that

But they are much better than that at NR! When dh and I went there for our first time 4 years ago, neither of us really drank wine at all. Dh told our waitor this and offered to do beer pairings for him which worked out just fantastic for dh! I still ordered the wine pairing, but they brought me more of the sweeter wines (since that was my preference - and still is).

leota's necklace
09-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I must say I find the idea of serving grape juice so people can pretend they're drinking wine with everybody else kind of odd, but if people want it (and it doesn't lead to people talking so silly about grape juice as they do wine) then it's great that they're offering it.

I have known people who were "friends of Bill W.", and being offered this flight would accomodate them without drawing attention to them. These folks, if they were out with people who didn't know what they were dealing with, would offen get harassed by well-meaning people who would press them to drink ("C'mon, have some fun!") when they really, really couldn't.

So there's that.