PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass: Does familiarity breed contempt?

Pages : [1] 2

fantasmicgallery
08-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Having visited Disneyland for many years, both before and after the introduction of the FastPass system, we were wondering if anyone else shares our decidedly mixed impressions of its ultiimate effects on the park. Back in the day, we would spend much more time in the lines, but with the detailed theming in many of the queues, those waits served to substantially intensify our sense of anticipation regarding the ride(s). Since the introduction of the FastPass system, and the "bypassing" of many of the old queue elements, it seems that in some ways, the rides are now "over-exposed"; a direct consequence of the reduction in the anticipation and the associated enjoyment of the attractions.

We initially loved the FastPass system, and like everyone else, we quickly learned all of the idiosyncracies of the process that allowed us to take maximum advantage of the system; in hindsight, we really wonder if the resultant "over-saturation" of the ride experience was in the best interests of the park. We know it is all about the bottom line; management recognizes that more time spent in lines results in less time in the shops.

We never thought we would be be "in favor" of waiting in longer lines, but as we stated, back in the day, those lines contributed substantially to the overall ride experience. As more people become "too familiar" with the available ride selections because of the FastPass system, does it lead to a greater sense of dissatisfaction with the park, and a greater, unrealistic demand for newer and better attractions? Does that demand and dissatisfaction outweigh the commercial gains that may have been realized through the implementation of the FastPass system?

3Princesses1Prince
08-29-2010, 05:38 PM
I know what you mean. I remember childhood visits waiting "forever" in lines on a hot August afternoon. Now, even on a crazy busy pre-xmas trip, we waited no more than 30 minutes for anything. And if the line was longer it wasn't worth it to wait (granted this was our 3rd trip in 3 months). I guess its a sign of the times....always in a rush. However, the choice not to rush or wait was extremely enjoyable since we decided to soak in the atmosphere instead of the attractions.

I can't tell you when the last time I rode Space or Indy without a FP.

JerrodDRagon
08-29-2010, 05:43 PM
No one makes you get a FP, if you love the Q stand in line. I love FP because I can get one for Indy then go ride pirates, HM and Big thunder go on Indy in under 20 mins.

MidwayManiac
08-29-2010, 06:08 PM
Good for you that you appreciate the ambiance and atmosphere of waiting in line.
That's certainly a novel vantage point.

For me personally, and especially for my two small children, there is no redeeming value to standing in lines. To answer your question Fastpass lends to, not detracts from, the overall satisfaction of the park experience.

Michael24
08-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Personally, I've never used a Fastpass. For me, being in the queue is part of the experience. I've done it that way since I was a kid, and for me, I just like it. Granted, I tend to go before or after summer, so at most I never have to wait too long in a line. But it's fun to chat with other people, meet those visiting for the very first time, or people visiting from other states or even countries. It adds to the experience. Like I said, I tend to go during the "off season," like Spring or Fall, when the lines are never really that bad, so I've just never had a need for a Fastpass.

madmaxx
08-29-2010, 07:05 PM
I think you have a point. Our first trip to DL was only a few years ago and I still remember the first day: the wonder, wandering around the park slowly in disbelief, feeling as if the park was infinitely large, each one of us filled with curiosity and awe. The slowness of that first day was wondrous

We sped up on our second day, and we started using the FastPasses. It was nice to glide quickly through a few lines, but we stopped looking at the detail as much. We kept a similar pace for the remaining days, but left feeling like we didn't do enough.

On our second trip, we zoomed through the park, maximizing ride time (at the cost of the wonder). On one day that trip we were forced to wandered the park, waiting in a few long lines (it was very busy last October, and Space Mountain fast passes disappeared quickly) ... and that is the day we thought was the best. For the rest of the trip, we took it more slowly, using fast passes for only a few rides. The wandering, the wondering, the exploring is what we found we loved the most.

Slowing down takes some discipline, and it means longer trips (or more of them), but for us it's how we'll approach the park in the future.

The old man
08-29-2010, 07:18 PM
No one makes you get a FP, if you love the Q stand in line. I love FP because I can get one for Indy then go ride pirates, HM and Big thunder go on Indy in under 20 mins.
Exactly. You want to stand in line for Space for 90+ minutes, or perhaps Indy for even longer, have at it. We'll wave to you as we pass you by.

Malcon10t
08-29-2010, 07:22 PM
Slowing down takes some discipline, and it means longer trips (or more of them), but for us it's how we'll approach the park in the future.This was something we learned also. It used to be we went from ride to ride. But with the service dogs the last few years, we have had to really slow down. And it has been a good thing. A couple months ago, we came down to DL for 3 days. During three days in the park, we did 2-3 rides. The rest of the time was spent shopping, checking out areas, and spending time with friends. In fact, we only went on BTMRR because we were early meeting friends near there, and decided to kill a little time! We enjoy the little things more now.

Michael24
08-29-2010, 07:25 PM
Exactly. You want to stand in line for Space for 90+ minutes, or perhaps Indy for even longer, have at it.
Maybe on those crowded summer days, but during other parts of the year, I've never had to wait more than an hour in a line. 40-50 minutes is about the average I've encountered with coming upon a "long wait."

foolishmortal
08-29-2010, 07:41 PM
We do a 50/50 with the fast pass. usually with Indy and Space. Now if Indy is only 30min then we stand in the Q.

We like looking at all the details that make up the park. It's spotting all the tiny things that make it enjoyable for us. My kids don't care if they are in a long line if it is interesting.

But then we are super detail people any way.LOL. The decor of our house and projects prove that.:rolleyes::p

We like the slow trips with lots of wondering around aimlessly. We have to rush all the time. SO slow and having the chance to visit with people is a good thing.

Now the one thing we do FP for sure is MM! The kids are NOT into waiting in that line. Nothing to look at according to them.:|

Standing in the line for Indy is how we figured out how to build the rope work for the kids PH we built most of over the summer!

twindaddy
08-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Exactly. You want to stand in line for Space for 90+ minutes, or perhaps Indy for even longer, have at it. We'll wave to you as we pass you by.

Wow, for once I agree with you. I agree some of the stuff in the que is interesting, but would you rather just be on the ride

Do you look for the longest line at the grocery store, so you can check out the magazines? Specifically go on busy freeways at rush hour so you can read the billboards?

Very odd. I have no problem taking time around the park, but rather than standing in the four mile long Indy que, I would rather sit around the hub and people watch or sit under the hungry bear and read a book next the to ROA.

But I suppose everyone takes in the park in their own way, and thats why its Disney!

The old man
08-30-2010, 05:14 AM
Very odd. I have no problem taking time around the park, but rather than standing in the four mile long Indy que, I would rather sit around the hub and people watch or sit under the hungry bear and read a book next the to ROA.

The thread title is odd too. "Breed contempt." Huh?

AJDerrick
08-30-2010, 07:22 AM
I agree that the line for Indy is awesome. BUT even if you choose to wait in the line now it's outside the temple (stacked) and wither you FP or not you book it through at least half of the temple.

I like the Fastpasses not because they allow me more time to shop, but time to get to things that I wouldn't bother with if I was running low on time. Overall, I don't feel that there are so many FP rides that it takes the 'wait' out of the park. Tried to go on Peter Pan lately? You can always find a line there, FP free! :)

PoomShanka
08-30-2010, 07:50 AM
Even with FPs there can still be plenty of time standing in line. I don't think I have ever used a FP and gotten directly onto the ride.

The way I look at it, FPs simply buy time and I'm very grateful for them particularly since we have a 3 year old and a 6 year old. Freeing up chunks time in order to be able to fit other things onto the Disneyland agenda is beyond important to me. Yet there always STILL doesn't seem to be enough time...

ogold72
08-30-2010, 08:24 AM
I also enjoy the detail and mood that the queue sets but standing in line for an hour diminishes that experience (for me) and just turns into waiting. 20 minutes max and I am done looking at the setup, Im ready to do the ride!

Z BRER FOX
08-30-2010, 08:48 AM

Exactly!!!

It makes the Disney expierence that much better. You are able to do and see more during your visit. I personally think Disney has done a great job with the FastPass.

houseofmouse
08-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I love FP! There is not really anything interesting at all in the Space Mountain line anymore. Walls and darkness do not make a fun wait in line.

Indy is the same, you wander around outside and then have to wait until the FP is low and then they let you in and you go through the Queue quite quickly. I hate the sulfur smell so the less I have to endure it the better.

I will say Roger Rabbit has a pretty neat queue but to me it is not worth a 45-60 min wait.

I wish Peter Pan had FP!

Big Thunder- you go through the line just like everyone else except on your own side and you don't have to walk through the maze of ropes outside. We have done standby many times as well but there is nothing fun about walking through ropes. :)

The best part of the Splash Mountain line is when you get inside up the stairs with your FP so what is so fun about standing around outside in the heat and trees??

There is plenty for us to admire and be in awe of just walking through the park, I am okay with skipping some of the line so we can get more rides in during our visit. :)

JerrodDRagon
08-30-2010, 10:54 AM
Now the one thing we do FP for sure is MM! The kids are NOT into waiting in that line. Nothing to look at according to them.:|

Standing in the line for Indy is how we figured out how to build the rope work for the kids PH we built most of over the summer!

I wish, the ride ALWAYS has a 40 min wait, I have sometimes seen 30 but I really think they need a FP on this ride to let people that hate waiting in line area's with no "real" theme to look at just ropes and other rides....i can do that anytime. I would also love for Cars to get this too (little mermaid wont need this)

Phil Johnson
08-30-2010, 11:26 AM
I think some of the line areas are interesting, but once I've seen them a few times I'll opt for the FastPass. Especially if I'm with someone impatient. Disney's queue's are certainly better than your average amusement park.

If they're smart, and I think they are, they'll keep improving the line areas until they're as much a part of the experience as the ride. It may take awhile, but I think it can be done.

I may be wrong about this, but I think I read something last year that said Fast Pass hasn't really changed the line dynamics all that much and they were considering pulling back on the plan.

The old man
08-30-2010, 01:09 PM
I may be wrong about this, but I think I read something last year that said Fast Pass hasn't really changed the line dynamics all that much and they were considering pulling back on the plan.
Though I think FP makes a huge difference they already have pulled back. Both HM & POTC used to have FP. I think HM still has it during the NBC overlay.

That said it is desperately needed for Midway Mania.

twindaddy
08-30-2010, 09:12 PM
How about a Peter Pan or Princess Fantasy Fair Fastpass?

I would pay money for the PFF fastpass, that line is torture. There is nothing to look at or do.

olegc
08-31-2010, 06:23 AM
the FP/no FP and it's affect on the park has been a huge discussion point for a long time. I was thinking about the comment on themed queues and how you miss them when you use FP - but how true is that? Let's look.
Space mountain - outdoor switchback (sometimes in the sun) - view of building
Indy - jungle switchback. some views - FP starts inside the building queue and you get to experience it.
Splash - outdoor snack around mountain into building. FP starts inside the rockwork down low. You do pass most signs and writing but can see them.
Big Thunder - this one you do go past a lot of detail - but you're down low so you can't pick up much of Rainbow Ridge.
Roger Rabbit - this one yes you skip ALL the detail (and it's a good queue)
Buzz - not much of an internal queue and you are in most of it.
DCA rides - not too many queues that are themed here except Tower - and that line is not that long anyway.

To me - the only real immersive queues for some of the attractions are in Fantasyland and then some are quite short. I think if you stand in the queue long enough you will see extreme fine detail of the work Imagineers do and come to appreciate it (as I do). Here's my point - I think the notion of "missing the queue and getting right in front" is not 100% accurate. you still are involved with a lot of the queue on most attractions.

3Princesses1Prince
08-31-2010, 07:36 AM
Slowing down takes some discipline, and it means longer trips (or more of them), but for us it's how we'll approach the park in the future.

Very true!

I'm hoping to be able to do this on our trip to WDW next year. It'll be our first (and maybe only) trip, but we have decided to take 2 weeks in a slow season to do it. I know we can't "do it all", but I already know a few things we will skip too (ie Tiki Room to save our sanity and F! to avoid disappointment). I'm really hoping to enjoy the non-ride attractions and magic in the parks. Top to-dos on my list are Kidcot, Kim Possible, discovery stations at AK, campfire & movie at the campground, and getting DS's hair done at Harmony Barber Shop.

olegc
08-31-2010, 09:30 AM
Very true!

I'm hoping to be able to do this on our trip to WDW next year. It'll be our first (and maybe only) trip, but we have decided to take 2 weeks in a slow season to do it. I know we can't "do it all", but I already know a few things we will skip too (ie Tiki Room to save our sanity and F! to avoid disappointment). I'm really hoping to enjoy the non-ride attractions and magic in the parks. Top to-dos on my list are Kidcot, Kim Possible, discovery stations at AK, campfire & movie at the campground, and getting DS's hair done at Harmony Barber Shop.

we did this a few years ago - but not two weeks. It may have been our only trip as a family but my advice would be to see the F! to say yes, you have seen it, and Disneyland's is better :D. we used some of our dining meals to get preferred seating and that helped a little to bear the lower quality.

IllusionOfLife
08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
For me, it depends on the attraction. FastPassing, say, Big Thunder Mountain or Space Mountain is fine by me because all you're skipping is the outdoor/un-themed part of the queue, the overflow, essentially. However, I won't FastPass Roger Rabbit because you miss (in my opinion) the best part of the attraction.

Typically we strike a balance, we collect FastPasses and use them regularly, but we're not the type of people who won't ride without a FastPass. Our trips last, on average, about a week so we have plenty of time to see and do everything. We're more than happy to wait 45 minutes for Indiana Jones Adventure and, unlike some people, we're willing to wait in the afternoon lines for Finding Nemo and Toy Story Midway Mania even though they don't have a FastPass system.

I'd say, on average, we typically bring about twice as many unused FastPasses back to the hotel as what we "cashed in" in the park. We do use FastPasses, but we also will sometimes opt for the "scenic route" even if we have FastPasses in hand.