PDA

View Full Version : New "Nerd" Merchandise at Disneyland!

Tinkermommy
08-27-2010, 07:26 PM
As the mother of a brainiac who wears both glasses and braces (for four more months, anyway), I was delighted to see some new merchandise at Disneyland yesterday celebrating "Nerds!"

The very colorful graphics depict a version of the Disney Cuties (Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Pluto and Goofy) all wearing oversized glasses. Donald sports a propeller beanie, and Goofy wears braces. The wording reads, "I love nerds," "Brains are Beautiful," "Nerd Hero," and "Nerds Rock!" The print also has science books, calculators, pocket protectors and computers on it.

They had pajamas in several colors and styles, for males and females; wallets, glasses cases and messenger bags. (We bought a messenger bag for the Tinkerteen's first day of school. We wanted the pjs, but they were out of mediums in white.)

I took a picture of the graphics, but I can't figure out how to size it appropriately for an attachment...

quackinup
08-27-2010, 07:43 PM
I saw a few of those around the park yesterday also.

LaserKitty
08-27-2010, 08:30 PM
Yay for Nerds!!:D

BlkPearlCptn
08-28-2010, 11:58 AM
Bazinga!!!

potzbie
08-28-2010, 12:07 PM
A new movie, maybe? -- "Son of Revenge of the Nerds"?

Andrew
08-28-2010, 12:18 PM
I took a picture of the graphics, but I can't figure out how to size it appropriately for an attachment...
Try uploading the pictures to your MousePad photo album (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/album.php).

Drince88
08-29-2010, 09:55 AM
Why do all people who like science books, calculators, and computers have to be depicted with glasses?

kfreak
08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Why do all people who like science books, calculators, and computers have to be depicted with glasses?

For the same reason that people with tattoos and piercings have to be portrayed as bad people. Most people dont want to believe that smart people come in all shapes, sizes, and looks.

BlkPearlCptn
08-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Not always. Watch The Big Bang Theory. Only Leonard has glasses, nobody else.

LaserKitty
08-29-2010, 11:28 AM

I guess it's so we "get" the idea of the character? I agree it's ridiculous- my BFF is covered in tattoos, wears only black, and is always going to heavy metal concerts. She is also working on her dissertation for the first of her two PhD's and is an elementary school teacher...doesn't wear glasses.
I am also working on my PhD in Anthropology and look more cheerleader than anything...but if you turn it to the History Channel good luck on distracting me. I don't wear glasses.
It's sad, but the whole glasses/highwaters/crazy hair thing is just a stereotype.