PDA

View Full Version : Tom Sawyer's Island

melrose2000
04-07-2003, 10:23 AM
I was EXTREMELY disappointed that most of the island was shut down when I visited at Xmas time. I've read that you won't be able to go inside the fort when it's reopened. Boy, if they don't put it back the way it was, plus enhancements, it's going to be really sad. I used to spend HOURS there as a child. I was hoping they would make it even bigger and put some stuff in there for really small kids -- indians to meet or campfire tales. I'm pretty sure there was space for some additions. I might be wrong.

refurbmike
04-07-2003, 12:40 PM
Unfortunately, the fort will be closed for public access indefinitely. The structure is just to unstable to support guests. However, it still will be used as storage for the Fantasmic! crews.

Disneyfreak
04-07-2003, 04:09 PM
Hey refurb mike, I might have proof that the fort will be open again once it comes out of refurbishment!!!
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/detail/attraction?id=RaftsTomSawyerIslandAttractionPage

Read what the page has to say!

cemeinke
04-07-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Hey refurb mike, I might have proof that the fort will be open again once it comes out of refurbishment!!!
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/detail/attraction?id=RaftsTomSawyerIslandAttractionPage

Read what the page has to say!

Alas this is the same page that had images from "Snow White" on the carousel instead of Sleeping Beauty - Unfortunately Disney's own Park website has been notoriously innacurate - especially when it comes to attractions currently in refurbishment

stitcher
04-07-2003, 07:22 PM
I took pics of the "closed" portion of the island on Saturday....There have been some changes

I'll put them on my page and then post a link soon....

:)

refurbmike
04-08-2003, 02:51 PM
"Hey refurb mike, I might have proof that the fort will be open again once it comes out of refurbishment!!!
http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr...dAttractionPage"

Oh what a sad day it is when people still have faith in the accuracy of Disney's official web-site.

stitcher
04-19-2003, 12:31 PM
Hmmm, how to say this.....

Watch out everyone. It looks like you're all about to get a very nice surprise!!!!:D :D

I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it looks brighter than ever.

dgdisney
04-19-2003, 01:26 PM
My question is WHEN are we getting all of these surprises??? When will Tom Sawyer's Island reopen? A very self serving question since I am going to DLR in May with my children and would love to play in the tree house!

Thanks!

BryanPeek
04-19-2003, 01:35 PM
Alright, I've had lots of opinions and views on Tom Sawyer Island and I'm going to say all of my opinions and views right now...

Why even have Tom Sawyer Island? I mean, I love the place, I always used to have a great time there when I was a toddler and to be honest, I'm 16 and I still love the place. But It's caused so much trouble and controversy do to some accidents, and I do mean accidents that it wouldn't make all that much sense reopening it.

What I think should happen is this...Make a whole new land, a brand new land with rides, attractions, and a few shops. Turn it into some Disney Themed land, like Neverland, or Atlantis, or anything that is Disney.

I just don't under stand all of this hassle of changing things to make it safer, when all the fun of Tom Sawyer Island is going to be gone, and accidents will continue. Those are my views of the whole situation.

cemeinke
04-19-2003, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by dgdisney
My question is WHEN are we getting all of these surprises??? When will Tom Sawyer's Island reopen? A very self serving question since I am going to DLR in May with my children and would love to play in the tree house!

Thanks!

Well - I'm not sure exactly what the "surprises" are supposed to be, but the islands open again along with the suspension bridge, barrel bridge, and tree house. Half the island including castle Rock and Fort Wilderness are still closed to guests.

dgdisney
04-19-2003, 05:01 PM
Thanks cemeinke - have you been on the island? Besides actually repairing the bridges and the rot in the treehouse - what else appeared to be different?

I'm looking forward to seeing for myself. On hot summer days my dad loved to put his feet in the little stream near the treehouse while we ran around - until a nicely dressed ranger CM reminded him that shoes were required at all times!

MonorailMan
04-19-2003, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by BryanPeek
I just don't under stand all of this hassle of changing things to make it safer, when all the fun of Tom Sawyer Island is going to be gone, and accidents will continue. Those are my views of the whole situation.

A Future Disney Executive Quote. ;)

I am also 16, and I had/have a blast on TSI. But the reason why no one wants it gone is nostalgia. I love that island. I hate to see it go. Yes, accidents happen, but they are that, accidents. Disney lawyers have gotten very picky in the last few months, but I sure hope we keep TSI. :)

BryanPeek
04-19-2003, 06:16 PM
But the reason why no one wants it gone is nostalgia. I love that island. I hate to see it go. Yes, accidents happen, but they are that, accidents. Disney lawyers have gotten very picky in the last few months, but I sure hope we keep TSI.

I agree with what you said about nostalgia, but by the time Disney Lawyer's and these accidents get down, TSI won't be the same and there will be no fun in it, which is the most important aspects of it all, I think anyway.

Like I said before, they should make a whole new land with the money they got from selling the Angel's, make it safer...But don't make it too kiddy. I highly doubt they'd do that and I'm almost certain they won't get rid of TSI for a long time...The Jungle Cruise on the other hand... :D

stitcher
04-21-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by dgdisney

Thanks!

While the Suspension and pontoon bridges and the tree house are open, the back half will still be under construction at that point:crying:.

Originally posted by BryanPeek
I highly doubt they'd do that and I'm almost certain they won't get rid of TSI for a long time...

And you would be quite correct!!!