PDA

View Full Version : What Should Be Done With A Bug's Land?

IllusionOfLife
08-23-2010, 09:33 AM
So this thread is an attempt to give a home to a discussion that has currently overtaken Smorri's thread regarding the idea of adding a Toy Story Land. Anyway, the question I'd like to pose is this: what should be done with A Bug's Land?

Now it seems to be a pretty common sentiment that A Bug's Land, especially Flik's Fun Fair, is flawed because its attractions are mostly carnival-esque rides that have some clever theming. However, it also seems to be widely recognized as one of the most beautiful areas of the park and one of the most creative visually.

So what would you propose? Would you keep it as it is, would you take a bulldozer and start over, or would you find some way to revitalize the area?

As for me, I think that it would be better to salvage what is already there than to take a bulldozer and start over. I enjoy Heimlich's Chew-Chew Train, even if it is too short, and I can't be the only adult that does, and Flik's Flyers is a Dumbo-type attraction which Disney consistently proves to be an effective attraction, and I really don't mind Francis' Lady Bug Boogey much either, Tuck and Roll's Drive-em Buggies is really lame though. The biggest problem with that area, is the lack of variety.

Think about Fantasyland; that land has rides that are aimed solely at kids: The Mad Tea Party, Casey Junior Circus Train, Dumbo's Flying Elephants, and King Arthur's Carousel, however, they also have the Dark rides that appeal to the whole family, and The Matterhorn which appeals to older kids and adults. There's a good representation of everything in the land.

A Bug's Land, on the other hand, doesn't represent the full spectrum. You have It's Tough to Be a Bug which is too scary for the whole family, so that represents the older kid/adult category, then you have Flik's Fun Fair which is pretty squarely aimed at kids. What the area is missing is a good 'whole family' attraction. I still say that the land is quite possibly the coolest area from both of the California Parks in terms of immersion, creativity, visual beauty, however, it's missing a major attraction to anchor it.

It's Tough to Be a Bug is a great show, but the 3D show's were never anchor attractions, and now that 3D movies are something that you can experience at your local cinema, those type of attractions are becoming increasingly dated. I think in order to revitalize the land Disney needs to either replace Francis and Tuck & Roll with a really compelling dark ride along the lines of Toy Story Midway Mania or Roger Rabbit's Car-Toon Spin and/or they need to replace It's Tough to Be a Bug with a larger scale dark ride, or a big E-Ticket Attraction.

I don't want to see A Bug's Land go, because it is such a cool area, but I do agree that it needs something to revitalize it.

Disneylandfanguy
08-23-2010, 11:26 AM
For now, I think it should be left alone. It is simply not a priority for the park to change it.

Of course, in the future if the Imagineers do have plans to expand it, then by all means they can do it.

But right now, it should be left alone. It should not be a priority right now considering that the park has a lot of its plate with the current expansion.

potzbie
08-23-2010, 11:32 AM
What Should Be Done With A Bug's Land?
(a.) Keep it the way it is.
(b.) Tear it down and start over.
(c.) A creative revitalization.
(d.) Add more bugs.

The present incarnation is too small in number of rides and attractions.
The present set of rides and attractions are oriented to one subset of guests, namely, small children.

IllusionOfLife
08-23-2010, 12:13 PM
The present incarnation is too small in number of rides and attractions.
The present set of rides and attractions are oriented to one subset of guests, namely, small children.

I agree, however, if we're being realistic, there simply is not enough space to add anything to that area of the park, they would have to replace something that's there in order to do something new. That is why I proposed a replacement for either It's Tough to Be a Bug or an attraction to move in, in place of Francis' Lady Bug Boogie and Tuck and Roll's Drive-em Buggies.

JerrodDRagon
08-23-2010, 01:16 PM
Like I said in the other Thread, it can stay for the next ten years but after Phase 2 (after the rumored mine cart coaster, and Soarin over the world)

Then Bugs land is the next area the should work on, not only do they have Bugsland (the whole underground area is huge, and flicks fun fair) they also have some room behind Tot/the old parking lot to use to.

Really all you need to decided what theme from CA you want, add a E-ticket Ride, a D-ticket ride (maybe E if you make it two story) and a new restaurant like the Blue Bayou and you've got yourself a brand new land that will try get more people coming to the park.

Bugs land by then will no longer be a selling part of the park, it has no huge attraction like Cars land is getting and no real land mark, its great for young kids now, but one day when Disney is looking to add more to the park this is where they should start.

fairestoneofall
08-23-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd like to pose is this: what should be done with A Bug's Land?

Now it seems to be a pretty common sentiment that A Bug's Land, especially Flik's Fun Fair, is flawed because its attractions are mostly carnival-esque rides that have some clever theming.

I think it's fine the way it is.

After all, aren't most of the original DCA rides carnival-esque? It's sort of the theme of the park.

It's a great place for little kids. My kids love it. When they outgrow it will we visit Bugs Land? Not often. But considering that there isn't that much for little ones to ride at DCA, I think it's perfect.

CariBelle
08-23-2010, 03:14 PM

After all, aren't most of the original DCA rides carnival-esque? It's sort of the theme of the park.

It's a great place for little kids. My kids love it. When they outgrow it will we visit Bugs Land? Not often. But considering that there isn't that much for little ones to ride at DCA, I think it's perfect.

You said it sister. I actually like it the way it is, my last trip was two adults and we rode 2 rides there. The last trip I was on with kids it was a huge hit. On our last day we asked the boys (3 and 7) what they wanted to do and they picked Bugs Land over everything else in DCA and DL.

Drince88
08-23-2010, 03:24 PM
We hit it later at night when I was there with my nephews, and the youngest one loved it. FORTUNATELY, the lines were really short, so we just went from ride-to-ride-to-ride with maybe 1 or 2 cycles to wait, so that did add to the enjoyment.

twindaddy
08-23-2010, 06:02 PM
I would retool it, but its was down the priority list...way down. They should first do something with the Princess Fantasy Fair theater, the Rocket Rods / People Mover, Millonaire theater, and make a monorail stop at the Hojo.

After that it done, work on Bugs land.

dban3
08-23-2010, 07:39 PM
I would retool it, but its was down the priority list...way down. They should first do something with the Princess Fantasy Fair theater, the Rocket Rods / People Mover, Millonaire theater, and make a monorail stop at the Hojo.

After that it done, work on Bugs land.

All great ideas, but a Harbor Blvd Monorail stop? My guess is any monorail stop would be at least 1.5 million dollars if not more making that $59 room rate a thing of the past....

Bytebear
08-23-2010, 08:14 PM
I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the bumper cars and lengthened Heimlich's Choo Choo train. I would also replace the June Bugs with a proper Teacup type ride. I do like Flick's Flyers just the way it is. But the other rides are just too small.

foolishmortal
08-23-2010, 10:11 PM

Mine love it too! In fact this old mom loves that area! MY DD is going on 12 and that's a must visit place for her.

I do wish they had a much longer chew chew and a bigger bug spin. It would be fun to have a few more rides a little larger too. They have the whole area where the Cat. used to be to put in another ride.

I'm with bytebear Flik's flyers is a nice ride.

dban3
08-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Mine love it too! In fact this old mom loves that area! MY DD is going on 12 and that's a must visit place for her.

I do wish they had a much longer chew chew and a bigger bug spin. It would be fun to have a few more rides a little larger too. They have the whole area where the Cat. used to be to put in another ride.

I'm with bytebear Flik's flyers is a nice ride.

Yes! Yes! Yes! Is there anything more charming than flying through the air in a box of Chinese take-out? As pointed out somewhere else, if you could move the Gadget Go-Coaster and maybe event the Jumping Jellyfish in here, the place would be darn near perfect and who cares if all the rides were bought by Disney from a catalog?

twindaddy
08-23-2010, 11:34 PM
All great ideas, but a Harbor Blvd Monorail stop? My guess is any monorail stop would be at least 1.5 million dollars if not more making that $59 room rate a thing of the past....

I was kidding, or more dreaming! But yeah, I bet the Hojo would charge quite a bit more!!!

And hello to a fellow Sacramentan!!

katierella
08-24-2010, 05:44 AM
My 5 and 2 year olds adore it.

Disneylandfanguy
09-11-2010, 09:49 PM
I apologize for bumping this topic up, but as long as A Bug's Land was mentioned, I want to point out that Tuck and Roll's Drive Em' Buggies are NOT "slow" as some have claimed in the past.

When people drive them properly, they actually move at a brisk pace.

The steering wheel takes some getting used to, becuase the car takes a second to react after you turn the wheel, but once you get the hang of it (and learn to avoid getting stuck in a traffic jam--its not that hard to avoid)--the car does in fact move a decent, brisk pace.

If you don't believe me, venture over to the umbrella big top and see for yourself. ;) :cool:

And again, I see no reason for them to change Flik's Fun Fair. It serves its purpose, and no guests there seem to mind that it has rides for young children, parents and guardians appreciate it A LOT.

JerrodDRagon
09-11-2010, 11:57 PM
^no they are slow compared to ANY other Bumper Cars I have been on....EVER

familymemories
09-13-2010, 01:44 PM
Our family likes bug land. I have fond memories at the local fair in the summer riding in the bumper cars. All four of us love those. The tough to be a bug show is great.;)