PDA

View Full Version : After Cars-Land, Toy Story Playland?

Pages : [1] 2

Smorri
08-20-2010, 06:16 AM
I was watching the video of the opening of Toy Story Playland in Disneyland Paris and it struck that this would be a perfect fit for DCA. Does anybody agree? Has anyone heard anything about a TSP in DCA?

Toy Story Playland (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJQNDvwpUuM&feature=player_embedded)

stan4d_steph
08-20-2010, 07:09 AM
There's already Bugs Land at DCA though. I think adding another Pixar land might be a bit much for one park, as cool as it looks.

Smorri
08-20-2010, 07:32 AM
There's already Bugs Land at DCA though. I think adding another Pixar land might be a bit much for one park, as cool as it looks.

You have a point there... But at the same time I'd gladly swap Bugs Land for Toy Story Playland :~D

To me, Bugs Land (not counting 'It's Tough to be a Bug') represents the poor design of DCA 1.0. Where Toy Story Playland would be much more in line with the new DCA. They could even keep most of the over sized plants and wet areas.

IllusionOfLife
08-20-2010, 09:40 AM
To me, Bugs Land (not counting 'It's Tough to be a Bug') represents the poor design of DCA 1.0. Where Toy Story Playland would be much more in line with the new DCA. They could even keep most of the over sized plants and wet areas.

I don't know, to me I think A Bug's Land looks much more clever than this. Yeah, the rides in A Bug's Land are geared primarily to little kids, you have a Dumbo type ride, you have a Tea-cup type ride, and you have Heimlich's Chew-Chew Train (I'll forget that the OSHA certified bumper cars that would lose a race against a turtle are there) however, I think the land itself is beautiful. Even if don't care about the ride, I always take time out on my trips to go back there, take pictures, and appreciate the beautiful and clever design that the Imagineers put into the feel of the land.

From the video of Toy Story Playland, it looks a lot less impressive. You have a handful of off-the-shelf amusement park rides (something DCA already is criticized for) and then you have the Toy Story theming, but it doesn't feel as immersive or clever as being in A Bug's Land, at least not from what I could gather by the video.

I would be more than happy for Disney to add a new, more imaginative and noteworthy attraction to A Bug's Land, but I don't want to see it go, and I definitely don't want to see it replaced by this.

houseofmouse
08-20-2010, 09:54 AM
I don't know about Paris but here in the US we have plenty of carnival type rides. I think it is not original or immersive at all. :( Bug's Land is at least much more immersive. Although they have some carnival type rides too, I like it better. IMO. I think DCA needs to get away from that and go with my original rides and experiences.

JerrodDRagon
08-20-2010, 02:16 PM
The land would be better than Bugs land but is that saying much, I rather have a San Francisco Area (kinda like the New Orleans of DCA)

DisneyFairy
08-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I don't know, to me I think A Bug's Land looks much more clever than this.
I would be more than happy for Disney to add a new, more imaginative and noteworthy attraction to A Bug's Land, but I don't want to see it go, and I definitely don't want to see it replaced by this.

Same exact thoughts. If you really look into the design of Bugs Land and the overall use of imagination it's astounding. I could just walk around and look at all the 'things making other things', like the popsicle stick bench, that never loses its cuteness.
But, at the same time maybe if they just kind of did a little refurbishment, they could even keep the same rides, it would make it so much better. The lady bug ride is extremely jerky, flik's flyers can make me a bit dizzy, the bumper cars move at a snail's pace, but I love heimlech's chew chew train. If they could just take steps to further improve that land, as much as I love toy story, I would rather have the creative power of bugs land.

Smorri
08-21-2010, 06:23 AM
I appreciate what people are saying about the setting in Bugs land. I don't think that would necessarily have to change for a Toy Story Playland. As for adding more carnival type rides to DCA, the Bugs Land rides are all carnival based rides anyway, with a bug scale theme added on. The problem to me with those rides (besides the slow motion bumper cars already mentioned) is the average ride time is between 15 to 20 seconds. It's like if you went on Peter Pan's Flight and the ride was over after you flew over London.

I still think a Toy Story Playland would allow a revitalization of the area, be a better fit for the new DCA and be more entertaining for kids and even adults. Everything around the area is going to be changing anyway (the farm area, Hollywood Blvd and Cars Land), the weakness's of Bugs Land will become even more obvious.

I'm not criticizing anyone's views, just having a healthy debate :)

JerrodDRagon
08-21-2010, 06:54 AM
^once again, rather have a new area that is themed well and one E-ticket ride. It would be way more worth it than a Pixarland, we still don't have a New Orleans type area yet, were getting a Main Street soon so we need we'll themed area that is built from the ground up and NOT based off one movie but rather a "city/culture"

Smorri
08-21-2010, 07:39 AM
^once again, rather have a new area that is themed well and one E-ticket ride. It would be way more worth it than a Pixarland, we still don't have a New Orleans type area yet, were getting a Main Street soon so we need we'll themed area that is built from the ground up and NOT based off one movie but rather a "city/culture"

I think it can be concluded from the upcoming and recent additions to DCA that the idea of DCA depicting the various facets of California, is being marginalized. To me, DCA is not another version of Disneyland, but a place for rides/lands that don't fit so well into the original Disneyland. Even the new Little Mermaid ride would be a weird fit into Fantasy Land.

At the same time it could be argued that the area around the Pacific Wharf Cafe is an equivalent of New Orleans square in that there are the many dining choices, seating, and presence of water (but no rides). I could agree with further upgrading to that area.

Also, I don't see any 'E' ticket ride in the Paris Toy Story Playland. Plus, some 'C' or 'B' ticket rides would be a great improvement over the current batch of 'D' ticket rides currently available in Bugs Land.

TowerofTerror
08-21-2010, 12:33 PM
I say the new land after Car should be Toys themed if they do make another land after Cars

JerrodDRagon
08-21-2010, 04:35 PM
I think it can be concluded from the upcoming and recent additions to DCA that the idea of DCA depicting the various facets of California, is being marginalized. To me, DCA is not another version of Disneyland, but a place for rides/lands that don't fit so well into the original Disneyland. Even the new Little Mermaid ride would be a weird fit into Fantasy Land.

At the same time it could be argued that the area around the Pacific Wharf Cafe is an equivalent of New Orleans square in that there are the many dining choices, seating, and presence of water (but no rides). I could agree with further upgrading to that area.

Also, I don't see any 'E' ticket ride in the Paris Toy Story Playland. Plus, some 'C' or 'B' ticket rides would be a great improvement over the current batch of 'D' ticket rides currently available in Bugs Land.
I rather a full themed land with one ride than some land based off a pixar movie with a couple of rides, quantity usually does not beat quality. The things about New Orleans that makes it so great is the architectural food and the culture which the Wharf does not have and really cant have.

Through if they just destroyed the Wharf for a San Francisco area, that would work too, but Bugs land is big enough for 2 E-ticket rides that could become classic not more of the same type of cheap rides, DCA has been known for.

foolishmortal
08-21-2010, 07:47 PM
I like bug's land better then the toy story one. If you added it a another area all together, with some really original rides that would be nice too.

As far as a expanded S.F. area, unless it was pre-1902 quake. I'd pass on that all together.

I just wish that they had used the bugs land area to expand it and put in a e-ticket ride and better dining options.

I love pixar, but there can be too much of it too.

Disneylandfanguy
08-21-2010, 09:39 PM
There is really no need for DCA to have Toy Story Playland.

And the thing is, Flik's Fun Fair may seem boring to some, but it does have fun rides for young kids (which was the goal) and the themeing is fantastic. You really feel dwarfed by the giant clovers and the use of other "giant" objects is great.

That is what being in a Disney park is all about; experiencing worlds and environments that you can't necessarily experience in real life.

dban3
08-21-2010, 09:55 PM
There is really no need for DCA to have Toy Story Playland.

And the thing is, Flik's Fun Fair may seem boring to some, but it does have fun rides for young kids (which was the goal) and the themeing is fantastic. You really feel dwarfed by the giant clovers and the use of other "giant" objects is great.

That is what being in a Disney park is all about; experiencing worlds and environments that you can't necessarily experience in real life.

Bugs Land wasn't intended for adults and wannabe imagineers. It was a rush job to correct a major flaw in original DCA. What they delivered gives the under the age of 7 contingent a joyful land of their own while their parents can sit back a smile. Nothing wrong with that. Leave it alone. It also themes wonderfully for Christmas.

If Disney parks people want another big (and costly) project after Cars Land, head across the way to Tomorrowland.

JerrodDRagon
08-21-2010, 09:56 PM
^I would have no problem with rides made for everyone but Bugs land was made for JUST kids, Disneyland is made so kids and adults can have fun together.
The land will go one day and hopefully they'll put some REAL Disney rides in and no more 1 mile per hour bumper cars.

dban3
08-22-2010, 02:03 PM
^I would have no problem with rides made for everyone but Bugs land was made for JUST kids, Disneyland is made so kids and adults can have fun together.
The land will go one day and hopefully they'll put some REAL Disney rides in and no more 1 mile per hour bumper cars.

I have to admit I have some bias on this topic. One of the very fine contributions MousePlanet makes to the Disney community is cover Parenting in the Parks and writing about making the most out of park adventures with children with disabilities. Earlier this year (January 21st to be exact), Jeff Kober wrote about children with autism in a very fine article titled Raising a Lost Boy - and Girl - from Neverland. It speaks first hand about dealing with two of his children who do have autism and the efforts and concessions they must make to bring a park visit fun for everyone.

Now I have a nephew who also has autism. What autism will do is eliminate about half the attractions of that hot bed of children's activity on the other side in Fantasyland as a most children with autism will not set foot in any sort of dark ride. So now we move back to Bug's Land and the infamous 1 mph bumper cars. The four rides that make Bug's Land are not up to what most will perceive as Disney standards but they do have their charm about them (flying through the air in a box of Chinese take-out). And they take up such a small footprint of space, what's really the harm. My nephew can spend a few hours there going from ride to ride. And at that point he is perfectly willing to go over and sit on a bench with an adult while his parents and sisters go on Peter Pan's Flight - something he may never be able to do.

IllusionOfLife
08-22-2010, 05:43 PM
The four rides that make Bug's Land are not up to what most will perceive as Disney standards but they do have their charm about them (flying through the air in a box of Chinese take-out). And they take up such a small footprint of space, what's really the harm.

Not to over look your point about the appeal of that area for children with Autism (which was a good point by the way) but I wanted to expand on this point.

If you look on Google Maps, there's really not that much room in Flik's Fun Fair, if you take into account the space needed for a queue and the ride building itself, there's only enough room for one and a half Monsters, Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescues, and you can forget about a larger attraction like Pirates or any of the E-Ticket Rides. So for the real-estate price of one attraction you get four and an area that has incredible theming. Now, I agree, the attractions that are present aren't incredibly unique, Heimlich is about the best that Flik's Fun Fair has to offer, but I'd much rather keep this beautiful area intact than bulldoze it for another Fantasyland-esque Dark Ride.

EDIT: Although, I wouldn't mind if they replaced, say Francis' Lady Bug Boogie and Tuck & Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies with another, more creative attraction…

http://upload.majhost.com/gallery/LofBohrok/Other-Random-Pics/a_bugs_land_idea.jpg

Obviously it would have to be something smaller, but I bet the Imagineers could do something note worthy with the space.

Disneylandfanguy
08-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Bugs Land wasn't intended for adults and wannabe imagineers. It was a rush job to correct a major flaw in original DCA. What they delivered gives the under the age of 7 contingent a joyful land of their own while their parents can sit back a smile. Nothing wrong with that. Leave it alone.

Excuse me? I DID leave it alone. Look at my post again, I said "It may be boring to some" I did NOT say that it was boring to me. I happen to like A Bug's Land for what it is. I agree with you. I think they did a great job with it and I'm glad that it has rides for kids.
I was defending A Bug's Land.

Or did you just mean to quote someone else? PLEASE RESPOND. I would appreciate it.

Disneylandfanguy
08-22-2010, 07:10 PM
And guys, let's keep the park's priorities straight. Flik's Fun Fair does not need to be changed or removed. Its fine the way it is.

dban3
08-22-2010, 07:15 PM
Not to over look your point about the appeal of that area for children with Autism (which was a good point by the way) but I wanted to expand on this point.

If you look on Google Maps, there's really not that much room in Flik's Fun Fair, if you take into account the space needed for a queue and the ride building itself, there's only enough room for one and a half Monsters, Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescues, and you can forget about a larger attraction like Pirates or any of the E-Ticket Rides. So for the real-estate price of one attraction you get four and an area that has incredible theming. Now, I agree, the attractions that are present aren't incredibly unique, Heimlich is about the best that Flik's Fun Fair has to offer, but I'd much rather keep this beautiful area intact than bulldoze it for another Fantasyland-esque Dark Ride.

EDIT: Although, I wouldn't mind if they replaced, say Francis' Lady Bug Boogie and Tuck & Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies with another, more creative attraction…

Obviously it would have to be something smaller, but I bet the Imagineers could do something note worthy with the space.

My thought has always been to move the Gadget Go-Coaster over to Flik's Fun Fair/Bugs Life area and find something more adventurous to do with space in ToonTown (and the adjoining Fantasyland Theater). With Gadget Go-Coaster and a little more complete theming in Bugs Land and this place would be almost perfect for kids.

Disneylandfanguy
08-22-2010, 07:20 PM
...I would still appreciate a response to my post to you, dban3...

dban3
08-22-2010, 07:20 PM
And guys, let's keep the park's priorities straight. Flik's Fun Fair does not need to be changed or removed. Its fine the way it is.

Wait a minute...this with the statement that gave me issue...

"I would have no problem with rides made for everyone but Bugs land was made for JUST kids, Disneyland is made so kids and adults can have fun together.
The land will go one day and hopefully they'll put some REAL Disney rides in and no more 1 mile per hour bumper cars."

You are correct. It is fine just the way it is.

Disneylandfanguy
08-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Wait a minute...this with the statement that gave me issue...

"I would have no problem with rides made for everyone but Bugs land was made for JUST kids, Disneyland is made so kids and adults can have fun together.
The land will go one day and hopefully they'll put some REAL Disney rides in and no more 1 mile per hour bumper cars."

I wasen't the one who said that statement. But you apparently thought that I did. You quoted me and told "me" to "leave it alone".

Clearly you just quoted the wrong person. :) :cool:

Let's all be happy. :)

dban3
08-22-2010, 07:46 PM
I wasen't the one who said that statement. But you apparently thought that I did. You quoted me and told "me" to "leave it alone".

Clearly you just quoted the wrong person. :) :cool:

Let's all be happy. :)

Never said you were....see the post I made at 3:03pm today. I had the right quote in my initial response. All is good.