PDA

View Full Version : Aug 26th Disney Park's Blog meetup - MP Rollcall!

olegc
08-19-2010, 02:50 PM
I got in - but an instant later request for a guest was not fulfilled.. I wanted to take my 10 yr old.

TowerofTerror
08-19-2010, 05:05 PM
I SAW ABOUT THE MEETUP BUT IT WAS TWO LATE. i saw IT AT 1230PM by that time it was already fulfilled

quackinup
08-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Was already a line thru the signup instructions when I saw it. I assume that meant it was full. I would have loved to attend, and I will be there that day, but I will be leaving in the late afternoon so it really didn't matter anyway.

lowfidelity
08-19-2010, 05:51 PM
I got in, with guest!

Tinkermommy
08-20-2010, 09:01 AM
I'm puzzled...which blog was this in? I still have yesterday's (the one with the Steampunk vinylmation), and see no mention of it.

The one I received at 4:03 this morning shows the WOC meet-up announcement, but says it was posted yesterday at 11 a.m. It also contains an update saying the event is full, so I got the announcement and the "we're full" update at the same time. :eyeroll:

The blog entries come to me once a day via e-mail, with several in one e-mail. Is there a different way to get them? The once-a-day e-mail seems more efficient, but not if the announcements arrive after any time-sensitive elements expire!

olegc
08-20-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm puzzled...which blog was this in? I still have yesterday's (the one with the Steampunk vinylmation), and see no mention of it.

The one I received at 4:03 this morning shows the WOC meet-up announcement, but says it was posted yesterday at 11 a.m. It also contains an update saying the event is full, so I got the announcement and the "we're full" update at the same time. :eyeroll:

The blog entries come to me once a day via e-mail, with several in one e-mail. Is there a different way to get them? The once-a-day e-mail seems more efficient, but not if the announcements arrive after any time-sensitive elements expire!

this was in the disneyland blog. they also posted the info via twitter, facebook, and on the blog two days before saying "check our blog at 11am tomorrow to for information on our next meetup". I knew from the previous meetup that it was a timed first come-first served process.

lowfidelity
08-27-2010, 07:22 AM
So the event has come and gone and here are my two cents worth:

This was an event for die-hard Disney fans. I took a newbie (just moved from WA never been to DL ever!) to get a taste for the trip we are making together in Oct. She was impressed. We got there at 6, checked in, and then spent some time walking around the park. We were given some freebies (a pin, a 8x10 glossy WOC photo, and list of everyone on the panel). We went to stage 17 where the event was to be held about 7 and waited the 15 minutes or so until they let us in. After mingling around for about another 10 minutes the curtains opened up on one side of the room and there was a seating area that filled up quickly with a stage at the end.

We were greeted by Heather Hurst Rivera who showed us a short movie and then we were greeted by Steve Davison, Sayre Wiseman, and Mary Niven. They proceeded to talk to us about the logistics of WOC and also shared some stories of the pre-production including showing some footage of the orchestra recording for the show at Abbey Road studios in England.

We were also told by Steve Davison that the entire production team follows all the fan sites (but they do not comment on any of them) and mentioned all the testing videos that popped up from people staying at GCH. Heck they might even be reading this right now! And considering how image conscience Disney tends to be this really didn't surprise me at all. Ohhh and they also showed a part of the TV show Big Bang Theory where WOC got a mention before the show even opened and how this was an unsolicited plug for the show that surprised everyone involved.

Then there was the Q and A which didn't really cover anything new IMHO. After that it was off to the viewing area and then the show itself with one last goodie as we walked out which was a WOC candied apple. We stuck around for about another hour and a half and then left right before the park closed.

It was fun but I wish they wouldn't do these things on a weeknight as I didn't even get home until midnight. And that is really my only complaint.

olegc
08-27-2010, 07:53 AM
actually a couple of the questions from fans were good in the Steve described the process of discovering new uses of the technology, the sprarkles and the glitter on the fountains and things like that. These small nuggets of information are great.

Mary Niven's story of her "Dory" moment, after a week of media previews and 11pm meetings, was definitely funny. I can just imagine a bunch of folks around a table talking serious when their VP leader breaks into Whale. classic.

the one thing I will remember is that the creation of WOC was similar in process to the old WED projects for the original attractions. Here was a group of creative people - show, art, engineering, etc. - all trying something totally new and testing/playing with it as they went along. Discovery in the process and the magic, as Mary Niven's grandaughter called it, they create from that discovery is neat for a Disney fan of the Imagineers and what they do.

Oh - and Steve did confirm that you will see tweaks and changes down the road to the show as they try new things and test systems.

olegc
08-27-2010, 07:54 AM
btw - I guess there were four people in attendance that have hit all three Blog meetups and they received an extra gift. And they gave away four WoC team hats (not for sale) that were taped under seats.