AVP
08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
D23 Press Release:

THE COUNTDOWN BEGINS FOR THE RETURN OF
THE ULTIMATE DISNEY FAN EVENT:
TICKETS FOR THE D23 EXPO 2011 ON SALE TOMORROW, AUG. 19

2011 Tickets Available for a Limited Time at a Discounted Price,
D23 Members Enjoy Additional Savings… and Members-Only Benefits

BURBANK, Calif. – August 18, 2010 – The first-ever D23 EXPO in 2009 left Disney fans asking when there would be another. On Thursday, Aug. 19, D23: The Official Disney Fan Club begins ticket sales for the next adventure – an incredible three-day event that brings the entire world of Disney under one roof at the Anaheim Convention Center next Aug. 19–21.

Tickets for the D23 EXPO 2011 will be available at a discounted price for a limited time. From August 19–December 31, 2010, tickets will be $37 for a one-day adult admission and $27 for children 3-12. Tickets for members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club will be $30 for a one-day adult admission and $22 for children. Multi-day money-saving tickets are also available for both D23 Members and the general public, and D23 Members can save as much as $204 off the price of admission, based on the purchase of four three-day tickets at the D23 Member rate. For more information on tickets and the ticket pricing structure for D23 Members and general admission, visit www.Disney.com/D23 (http://www.Disney.com/D23).

In addition to these special advance-purchase savings, D23 Members can also buy new D23 EXPO VIP packages that are only available to members. These new packages offer incredible exclusive opportunities and will have very limited availability.

The PREMIERE PACKAGE includes:

· Three days of admission to the D23 EXPO

· Reserved seating at all events and presentations in the Arena

· Access to a relaxing Premiere Lounge with concierge and complimentary refreshments, as well as a special exhibit from the Walt Disney Archives

· A D23 EXPO autograph book

· A special Premiere Package gift bag

The SORCERER PACKAGE includes:

· All benefits in the Premiere Package

· A private tour of and reception in the “Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives” exhibit the night before the Expo opens

· Exclusive hardhat tour of the show floor prior to opening

· Limited edition artwork signed by Disney artist Dave Pacheco

· Reserved seating at all presentations and panels

· A voucher for an appointment with an on-site massage therapist

· Special shopping opportunities at the Disney Dream Store

· A hardbound, collectible D23 EXPO guidebook.

Only 250 Premiere Package tickets will be available at $500 per ticket. Availability of the Sorcerer Package will be strictly limited to 50 D23 Members at $1,000 per ticket. Both packages are only available to D23 Members.

All D23 Members – both Gold level and Silver level – can take advantage of these exclusive admission savings and access to the special packages when tickets go on sale on Thursday, Aug. 19 at www.D23Expo.com (http://www.D23Expo.com) <http://www.D23Expo.com> .

The D23 EXPO 2011 will also feature the Disney Legends Awards – a tradition that pays tribute to the talented men and women who have made indelible contributions to the Disney legacy; the return of the D23 Live Auction boasting extraordinary rarities and specially designed items for Disney fans; an all-new Fan Art Contest themed to the 50th anniversary of One Hundred and One Dalmatians; Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives with an expanded exhibit of costumes, props and set pieces from Disney’s rich history; plus amazing live events, special celebrity appearances, panels and presentations, sneak peeks and unique experiences that celebrate the past, present and future of Disney. The D23 EXPO 2011 is scheduled to take place Aug. 19-21 at the Anaheim Convention Center.

In 2009, the first D23 EXPO brought together all parts of The Walt Disney Company under one roof including The Walt Disney Studios, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, Disney Consumer Products, The Walt Disney Archives, ABC, Disney Channel, Radio Disney, and Disney Interactive Media Group to celebrate all things Disney. Stars like Johnny Depp, Nicolas Cage, Courteney Cox, Betty White, Robin Williams, John Travolta and the cast of Wizards of Waverly Place made appearances; Miley Cyrus and Honor Society performed in concert. Imagineering legends took to the stage, and key Disney executives and creative talent including Walt Disney President and CEO Bob Iger and Disney and Pixar Chief Creative Officer John Lasseter.

Gold-level D23 memberships are $74.99, and Silver-level memberships – which provide all benefits with the exception of a Disney twenty-three subscription – are just $34.99 a year. All discounts and special promotions are available to both Gold- and Silver-level D23 Members.

Disney fans can become members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club at www.disney.com/D23 (http://www.disney.com/D23) <http://www.disney.com/D23> , select shops at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World Resorts and at www.DisneyStore.com/D23 (http://www.DisneyStore.com/D23).

Sarah32384
08-18-2010, 05:42 PM
That is sooo ridiculous. I'm really upset that you have to pay thousands of dollars for your group just so that you can get into a decent number of their panels. Lame!

cstephens
08-18-2010, 06:50 PM
We're getting the 3 day passes, but the premium packages are more than I'm willing to pay. The practice seems to be growing though. At last week's Star Wars convention, they had two high-level packages as well, which included no waiting in line for panels, a special lounge and extra meet-and-greets with some of the guests. The limited-number packages sold out very quickly, and that was before most of the info was released about who and what would be happening at the convention. Someone I was talking to said they knew of another science fiction/fantasy convention that was doing the same thing, well before any specifics about the con itself was being released.

We all pretty much agreed that it wasn't worth the price for us, but one of the guys said someone did a calculation of how much time the average person spent waiting at a con, and how much that time was worth, and looking at it that way, the price made sense.

Maybe I'm just old-school in that waiting in lines is part of what a con is about. :)

dban3
08-18-2010, 08:26 PM
Somehow a lesson needs to be learned for this insatiable need to try and shakedown your fan base from all their available spendable income. I half way expect one of those survey takers at the front gates to open with the question, "how much money do you have in your bank account right now?". But I would imagine that some if not all of the $1000 and $500 packages to sell out. Its finding the rest of the masses to fill out rest of the Expo that proved to be a challenge and generally came up short in 2009 which is probably why this one seems to have been scaled back a bit.

KarenW2
08-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I responded to the other D23 thread before I realized this one was here!! Why did they wait til nearly the last minute to spring this on us??!!

If I want to be able to get both of us into the Expo with one of the packages, it means I need to sign my hubby up for a membership, which he hasn't needed up to this point. No problem, I can get the pin for referring him and get him the silver membership, since we don't need or want another magazine. Where the problem comes in is, if I remember correctly, when I bought my Charter membership online last year, they couldn't give you a membership number when you bought it, you had to wait til months later when your card showed up, right??

I NEED to be able to have my hubby with me, since I'm in a wheelchair and I need him to push me, but if they don't give me the membership number when I buy it, how do I put it into the ticket form tomorrow, if I don't know what it is??!

I really wish they had someone who could respond over the phone, or at least by email and I also really wish they would've let us know about these other packages MUCH sooner than less than 24 hours before they go on sale!!

Drince88
08-19-2010, 04:50 AM
Isn't this way out of character for Disney to sell tickets to ANYTHING a year in advance? I wonder if its a way to have income in this fiscal year (where there's not a huge expo) to tie them over to the next big income stream?

olegc
08-19-2010, 07:16 AM
Isn't this way out of character for Disney to sell tickets to ANYTHING a year in advance? I wonder if its a way to have income in this fiscal year (where there's not a huge expo) to tie them over to the next big income stream?

DING DING DING - WInner Winner....
Some income this year, some next year AND they now have a year to figure out how to scale back the show due to fan base issues. Didn't last expo have a 1 year window - or at least 9 months? that was big - but a full year is bigger.

With the Destination D event still selling tickets I can imagine that it will be quite an interesting year financially for the club. I wonder if by charging more for every little thing tries to make up for the revenue issues - ignoring how many things are going on and simply showing they are making money. I wonder...

AVP
08-19-2010, 07:23 AM
If I want to be able to get both of us into the Expo with one of the packages, it means I need to sign my hubby up for a membership, which he hasn't needed up to this point. No problem, I can get the pin for referring him and get him the silver membership, since we don't need or want another magazine. Where the problem comes in is, if I remember correctly, when I bought my Charter membership online last year, they couldn't give you a membership number when you bought it, you had to wait til months later when your card showed up, right??
You get the membership number immediately. The problem is it's not active in their system for about 3 days, which means you can't use it online for anything.

AVP

JerrodDRagon
08-19-2010, 08:29 AM
So quick question, if I buy 2 ONE DAY tickets, does that mean I can use one for one day and another for the next day, or do I hav to buy the 3 Day ticket to go more than one day??? Sounds like a dumb question but they don't have tickets for certain dates of the event.

cstephens
08-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Based on the responses to D23's Facebook posts, the two higher-level packages seem to be quite popular.

AVP
08-19-2010, 11:17 AM
Based on the responses to D23's Facebook posts, the two higher-level packages seem to be quite popular.It also looks like their registration system crashed - again - and is either double-charging customers or refuses to recognize their membership numbers.

AVP

cstephens
08-19-2010, 11:18 AM
It also looks like their registration system crashed - again - and is either double-charging customers or refuses to recognize their membership numbers.

AVP

Yeah, like old times. Maybe they've fixed the system in the last hour. The husband just got our tickets and said there was no problem.

AVP
08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
FWIW, both the Sorcerer ($1000) and Premiere ($500) packages are still available. There's also a $2.50 processing fee for the tickets, which I didn't see disclosed anywhere.

AVP

Disneyphile
08-19-2010, 11:48 AM
With only 300 of the "special package" tickets giving reserved seating in the Arena, there are still 4,700 other seats in there for regular attendees. I see that as the main perk, and certainly not worth the amount they're charging.

I'll wait and order my $85 3-day pass towards the end of this year, and wait in line for a seat at the panels. That's part of the fun at the con, and I met some really neat people while in line last year too. :)

Niwel
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I'll wait and order my $85 3-day pass towards the end of this year, and wait in line for a seat at the panels. That's part of the fun at the con, and I met some really neat people while in line last year too. :)

Heck, that's where I picked up my love of "Party in the USA"

AnotherJenny
08-19-2010, 03:58 PM

Was it out of character to give one day's notice on the pricing? Seems like equilibrium is still intact. :)

Drince88
08-20-2010, 04:46 AM
Was it out of character to give one day's notice on the pricing? Seems like equilibrium is still intact. :)

Excellent point!

Kuzcofan
08-20-2010, 08:12 PM
I just logged into D23 looks like the special sorcerer's package is sold out :(

Kuzcofan
08-20-2010, 08:35 PM
One thing I noticed that no one else mentioned about the price is that the D23 expo which is 3 days is a lot cheaper then the destination D expo that only last 2 days. :confused:

Sarah32384
08-20-2010, 09:52 PM
One thing I noticed that no one else mentioned about the price is that the D23 expo which is 3 days is a lot cheaper then the destination D expo that only last 2 days. :confused:

I noticed that too; I didn't get tickets for Destination D but I'm guessing with Destination D being so much smaller, you are pretty much guaranteed a seat to experience all the panels/perks whereas with the Expo, you know you're going to miss out on a good number of panels because there's just not enough room. Anyone support the theory? Maybe there's another explanation out there.

Also, I was thinking about it . . . with the Expo giving 50 members reserved seating in ALL the panels, that means that the smaller rooms that were impossible to get into will be even worse for us poor suckers who didn't have enough cash for the $1000 tickets. Even more frustrating!!

Kuzcofan
08-20-2010, 10:45 PM
yea but not all 50 will go to the same panels. last time there were multiple panels at the same time, and we had to organize which ones we wanted to go to and which ones we knew we couldn't because of the times. but I agree it will be more difficult this year also because it will probably be busier too with all the special surprises last year (Johnny Depp, Mily Cyrus, etc.) more people will be going imo. My wife also noticed it is 1 day shorter this year.

JerrodDRagon
08-21-2010, 04:29 AM
^we'll I am glad its shorter since they really can put all Disney news into 3 days and really I will go to the stuff I really want to see (maybe like on 3D movie, 2/3 big panels a day, and the expo floor) and after that anything else I missed I can watch on You Tube for FREE!!!

Also would prices for hotels be the same price now, or if I waited until December?

dban3
08-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Just a guess but I would expect a heavy dose of Marvel Entertainment making its presence felt at the Expo.