PDA

View Full Version : Muslim cast member claims Disneyland sent her home for wearing hijab

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

AVP
08-18-2010, 10:26 AM
Imane Boudlal, a hostess at Storytellers Cafe in Disney's Grand Californian Hotel, will hold a press conference this afternoon to announce she has filed a discrimination complaint against Disney with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Boudlal claims that her managers at Disney sent her home from work three times this week after she came to work wearing a hijab, a traditional head covering worn by some Muslim women.

Boudlal is a member of UNITE HERE Local 11, the hotel union that has been at the center of a long-standing contract dispute with the Disneyland Resort. Union spokesperson Leigh Shelton told MousePlanet that Boudlal has worked for Disney for two and a half years, but that she had always removed the hijab before coming to work because she had been told that it was not allowed as part of the "Disney Look," Disney's dress code for cast members. She said that Boudlal had previously applied for a "religious exemption" to the Disney Look, requesting that Disney allow her to wear the hijab to work, but that managers "strung her along" for a month without answer. Shelton said that Boudlal decided she was tired of waiting for an exemption and wanted to wear the hijab to work during Ramadan, Islam's holy month that began August 11th. When Boudlal reported to work on August 15th, Shelton said that managers initially said nothing, but three hours later called her into an office and asked her to remove the scarf. When she refused, managers sent her home. Boudlal reported for work two more times wearing the hijab, and both times was sent home when she refused to remove the headcovering.

After today's press conference, which will also be attended by representatives of the Greater LA office of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, reporters are invited to bring cameras and follow Boudlal as she attempts to report for her scheduled shift at Storytellers Cafe.

We have contacted Disney for comment on this situation, and are awaiting their response. In 2004, Walt Disney World was involved in a similar complaint by a female worker who was not allowed to wear the hijab as part of her costume. A male Seik musician also complained after Disney would not allow him to wear his turban during onstage performances.

pixar
08-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Does anyone think she has a good case?

Drince88
08-18-2010, 11:09 AM
I think a lot depends on how Disney treats ANY request for religious exemption. Are Jewish Males in costumed roles who request to wear a yamulka allowed to do so? Does it take more than a month to approve?

The fact that she decided to press the issue during Ramadan actually lends credibility to her issue.

But then I have NO KNOWLEDGE of California rules on this subject.

Personally, I kind of wish the person who decided to press the issue wasn't a member of UNITE HERE 11, and instead were a member of a union with an actual contract with Disney, though.

leota's necklace
08-18-2010, 11:10 AM
I wonder. I certainly feel that people should be allowed to wear the hijab if they choose, but at the same time, people who apply for these jobs are not kept in the dark about expectations for the "Disney Look". Folks go in knowing about Disney's restrictions re: hair, jewelry, tattoos (or they find out quickly during training); if your religious beliefs do not allow you to conform to that Look, maybe being a Cast Member onstage is not the right choice for you? I saw the mention of the Sikh CM, are Jewish Cast Members allowed to wear yarmulkes? Are breaks scheduled to allow for prayer times?

candles71
08-18-2010, 11:18 AM
The fact that she decided to press the issue during Ramadan actually lends credibility to her issue.

Unless I read something wrong, this would be her third Ramadan while working at Disney. Why this one? is my thought about that. In 2 and a half years of employment, this is now an issue? I think this is where she will have an issue with her case.

Drince88
08-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I don't know if not wanting to wear one the last 2 Ramadan's particularly hurts her. People go in ebbs and flows with their adherence to "religious requirements" (using the term very generically here). I have a coworker who just decided one month she wanted to wear her hijab as a reminder of her faith, and she'd been working without wearing one for many years. HOWEVER, my coworker is not in a position where she is required to wear a costume or uniform of any sort, and there was no expectations of such when she started her position.

Krisseee2
08-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Being engaged to a muslim, I to wonder why she chose this year to do it? it's like did she not commit to Ramadan last year but this year she did? It makes me mad....

kimi911
08-18-2010, 11:30 AM
I don't know if she has a case against Disney.

I love the parks Disney puts together, but they are hard to go against on anything as a customer, employee, etc.

However, for me and my beliefs, she has a strong case. I think she should be able to wear her hijab. For me, the Disney look should include the very diverse people that make up the world and that make up the visitors to their parks.

As for the year, that does not bother me. Perhaps she feels more confident to stand her ground for what she believes in this year. Maybe she had more pressure not to risk her job in the past. Maybe she has more pressure to push the issue this year. I think it's irrelevant.

twindaddy
08-18-2010, 11:39 AM
It will cost Disney a ton in legal bills, but this is one of those reasonableness questions. Disney is casting a show, and she knew that when she applied and was trained.

If she wanted to take special breaks to pray or do some other religeous activity, I can see working something out, but I think she does not have a case here. That is just MHO.

What prevents one of the ladies who plays a princess at the fantasy fair saying they want to wear the full cover up (forgot the name) where all you can see is their eyes? What happens to the Disney show then? You are not just a server in a restaurant, you are part of the Disney show

BlkPearlCptn
08-18-2010, 11:43 AM
My feeling is that if you go to work for a company with a specific dresscode, then you should abide by that dresscode. Especially if it is a company that requires a certain "on stage" look and costuming. If you can't (or won't) comply with said look and costuming standards, then it's not the job for you. I don't know if Disney still does not allow moustaches and beards, but I had friends that would not apply because they did not want to shave them off. No one thought twice about their decision.

I think this woman should have to abide by the rules that she hired in for. While I appreciate her religious beliefs, I think that perhaps a Disney "on stage" job is not for her and she should find employment where she may dress according to her faith. Disney does have a certain "look" and that is part of it's charm.

AVP
08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
When I spoke with Leigh Shelton this morning I asked her why Boudlal had just now decided to press the issue. She said that Boudlal was recently naturalized as a US citizen, and that, during her citizenship classes, was taught about this country's history of religious freedoms. She said that when Boudlal went to take a photo required as part of the citizenship process, she started to remove the hijab, expecting that it would not be allowed in the photo, and the clerk taking the photo said "this is America, we don't do that here!"

AVP

janell
08-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Im not trying to bring up any immigration debates with this post.

I found the link below that says she just became a US citizen this past June. Not knowing how she was sponsored her in her journey to citizen ship(weather it was through work or family) She may have not felt in years past she could try and press it to ware her hijab.

http://www.ktla.com/news/landing/ktla-disney-discrimination,0,5536535.story

I know a little bit about the immigration process. Im guessing she had to be employed and if she lost her job, that could cause her problems. Again I don't know her situation. But I think it maybe why she choose this year to do it instead of the years past.

AVP
08-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Disneyland Resort spokesperson Suzi Brown has provided a statement to MousePlanet, saying "The Company values diversity has a long-standing policy against discrimination of any kind. Unfortunately, this is yet another attempt by Local 11 to distort the facts and distract from the real issue that their members have been without a contract for two and a half years. Ms. Boudlal has worked for the company for more than two years and recently made the request to wear a hijab and we have been working directly with her on accommodations. In the interim, we offered reasonable accommodations to allow her to work during her scheduled shifts, which she declined. "

Disneyphile
08-18-2010, 11:52 AM
She knew the dress code from the beginning, so to raise a stink about it after 2 years is ridiculous.

Every job has a dress code, and most places have a dress code. It's up to us to decide whether or not to work or visit the establishment.

However, I do think it would be cool if Disneyland did more "cultural" costumes for the IASW cast members who would be allowed to pick a costume representing their cultural background.

In the case of this woman, I think a compromise could be set - Storytellers is a rustic setting, so maybe if she had a scarf that complements the costume and setting... it would fit in with the show and adhere to her personal beliefs.

However, the big problem is - make a compromise for one person, and you have to do it for everyone.

cstephens
08-18-2010, 11:54 AM
In the interim, we offered reasonable accommodations to allow her to work during her scheduled shifts, which she declined. "

I want to know more about this, what accommodations they offered.

candles71
08-18-2010, 11:56 AM
I want to know more about this, what accommodations they offered.

So would I. I am not opposed to her wearing it, I was merely stating my first thought of why now. If the immigration story (as a reason, not her status)bears up, it could very well be a plausable reason, imho.

Niwel
08-18-2010, 12:12 PM
I read the KTLA article and saw this quite:

"The Constitution tells me I can be Muslim, and I can wear the head scarf," Boudial says. "Who is Disney to tell me I cannot?

I guess her class never taught the difference between the government and a privately held company.

pixar
08-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Personally, I kind of wish the person who decided to press the issue wasn't a member of UNITE HERE 11, and instead were a member of a union with an actual contract with Disney, though.

I wonder how much of this is her own ambition, and how much of it is the union pushing her to do this.

What prevents one of the ladies who plays a princess at the fantasy fair saying they want to wear the full cover up (forgot the name) where all you can see is their eyes? What happens to the Disney show then? You are not just a server in a restaurant, you are part of the Disney show

That would be a burka. When I visited Turkey, I've seen some where even the eyes are not visible.

When I spoke with Leigh Shelton this morning I asked her why Boudlal had just now decided to press the issue. She said that Boudlal was recently naturalized as a US citizen, and that, during her citizenship classes, was taught about this country's history of religious freedoms. She said that when Boudlal went to take a photo required as part of the citizenship process, she started to remove the hijab, expecting that it would not be allowed in the photo, and the clerk taking the photo said "this is America, we don't do that here!"

AVP

That's surprising, as I would think the DMV requires anything covering any part of the head, whether they're hats or hijabs, to be removed for the photo.

disneylandgirl
08-18-2010, 12:44 PM
I read the KTLA article and saw this quite:

I guess her class never taught the difference between the government and a privately held company.

You read my mind. The U.S. Constitution says you can wear it. But Disney is a COMPANY, not a country. If they have a dress code, they have every right to enforce it.

I think she should be allowed to wear it, but she should have waited for the exception process to finish. I don't think she's going about it in the right way.

kfreak
08-18-2010, 01:05 PM
I for one dont agree with the suit. She knows what the dress code is, and choose to violate it. If a cast member chooses to wear a special kimono due to a death in the family will it be allowed? No it wont. They have a dress code, and you accept the terms of that dress code upon accepting employment. I would feel the same way if it was a Catholic who was wearing a charcoal cross on their head on Ash Wednesday. The dress code is their for all employees, not just for the ones they pick and choose to enforce it upon. If you dont like the fact you can not wear the Hijab at work then dont work there.

potzbie
08-18-2010, 01:08 PM
I see there is a difference between a head scarf (hijab) and head covering (burqa).
I didn't know the difference.

Regardless, Disneyland Cast Members wear costumes.

In contrast, Disney office workers do not wear costumes.

Thus, it is possible to work for Disney and either be compelled to wear a costume, or not compelled to wear a costume, depending on whether you are playing a role, or not playing a role.

Q. Do waiters/waitresses wear costumes?

Yes. I have noticed that the bus boys and cashiers at the Carnation Plaza and other sit down restaurants do not wear ordinary office clothes like suits and ties. Instead, they wear a consistently-themed uniform.

How many pierced noses, pierced lips, pierced eyebrows, etc., may one wear and still comply with the Disneyland Cast Member dress code?
I don't know.
How long may one's mustache (ladies, too) may one grow under one's lip and still comply with the Disneyland Cast Member dress code?
I don't know.
How much jewelry can one wear and still comply with Disneyland Cast Member dress code?
I don't know.

But, regardless, there is a point where the out-of-compliance "extras" detract from the uniformity, or unnecessarily call attention to the individuality of the Cast Member, and unnecessarily call attention away from the theme of the uniform.

What religion people practice on their off-time or on Sundays (or on Saturdays) is of no consequence regarding their Monday thru Friday work.
What politics people practice on theif off-time or on Election Day is of no consequence, likewise.

(Hey, some of us bow down to Satan on October 31st for our virgin sacrifices and black masses, but I digress.) :rolleyes:

Can a yarmulke be worn by a Disneyland Cast Member and still comply with the Disneyland Cast Member dress code?

I don't know. -- I suppose it depends if the extra (pick one)
(a.) yarmulke; (b.) jewelry; (c.) piercing; (d.) hijab; (e.) turban; --
does, or does not, cause finger pointing by six-year-old children who point and say, "Look, Mommy, a _______ !" (fill in the blank with the noun of your choice).

If a child will notice one's politics or one's religion from one's extra clothing, then you have gone too far. You will have distracted the child from the full immersion of the Disneyland experience.

That is where you ought to draw the line.
In my opinion.

zombie pirate
08-18-2010, 01:33 PM
I dont agree with her, she knows there is a dress code there, allways has been.

Drince88
08-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Ms. Boudlal has worked for the company for more than two years and recently made the request to wear a hijab and we have been working directly with her on accommodations.
So clearly, there's a way to deal with exemptions and there is not necessarily a cast in stone rule about this. If there were, there wouldn't be any accommodations to be working on.

And I agree with cstephens, I'd like to know what reasonable accomodations were offered in the interim (although I'm sure we won't hear it, because it's a personnel issue).

AVP
08-18-2010, 02:50 PM
A follow-up press release from the union states that Boudlal was given the option to work a "back-of-house" position, but refused:

Boudlal refused Disney’s offer to allow her to remain at work with the hijab in a back of the house position – out of guests’ view.

“Their offer to put me in the back is humiliating,” Boudlal said. “They’re saying because I’m Arab, because I’m Moroccan, because I’m Muslim, they don’t want to see me in the front.”
AVP

pixar
08-18-2010, 03:01 PM
“Their offer to put me in the back is humiliating,” Boudlal said. “They’re saying because I’m Arab, because I’m Moroccan, because I’m Muslim, they don’t want to see me in the front.”

Hmmm...I don't see it that way. It's because she wants to wear a hijab, not necessarily because she's Arab, Moroccan, Muslim. I'm willing to bet someone who follows Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. and wants to wear something similar would be treated the same.