PDA

View Full Version : Pay for Limited Guest Days?

kimi911
08-17-2010, 10:01 PM
The Mouse Planet article this week mentioned paying extra on special holidays, to keep the attendance numbers down.

However, something even more dramatic has always entered my mind on most of my visits to Disneyland.

What if you could pay for a very expensive ticket for a single day of Disneyland but it would be on one day of just a couple available each year, where attendance would be solely limited to the purchasers of this ticket, but in a more limited number than suggested by the holiday ticket article.

I am talking $500-$1000 for a day, but it would be like a Magic Morning, all day long.

While I could not do it every year, Disneyland is so magical when it's not overfilled. Whether we would always have the money to do it or not is one question, the answer on whether it would be worth it, I think is probably quite clear. At least for me.

What do you think? Maybe even offer only two of these days a year to not affect the park much. It would be a day to spend a long time in the park for me. I would love every minute of it, going from attraction to attraction, meal to meal, etc. It would be a lot of fun. The park just for you and a handful of thousand.

twindaddy
08-17-2010, 10:15 PM
The Mouse Planet article this week mentioned paying extra on special holidays, to keep the attendance numbers down.

However, something even more dramatic has always entered my mind on most of my visits to Disneyland.

What if you could pay for a very expensive ticket for a single day of Disneyland but it would be on one day of just a couple available each year, where attendance would be solely limited to the purchasers of this ticket, but in a more limited number than suggested by the holiday ticket article.

I am talking $500-$1000 for a day, but it would be like a Magic Morning, all day long.

While I could not do it every year, Disneyland is so magical when it's not overfilled. Whether we would always have the money to do it or not is one question, the answer on whether it would be worth it, I think is probably quite clear. At least for me.

What do you think? Maybe even offer only two of these days a year to not affect the park much. It would be a day to spend a long time in the park for me. I would love every minute of it, going from attraction to attraction, meal to meal, etc. It would be a lot of fun. The park just for you and a handful of thousand.

This probably would not be done, IMHO, as it shuts down Disneyland to passholders, vacationeers, WDTC guest ECT for an entire day. It would be hard to sell vacation packages with a big blank no Disney in the middle of your trip.

I can see them shutting the park down an hour two early, and then having a special evening ticketed event...call it Disney's magic evening or something, with only a few thousand guests in the park from 7PM - 2AM or something like that.

I would guess they will institute some kind of all day fast pass, like at Universal, where you pay $100 extra for the day but get a fast pass to use over and over.

MidwayManiac
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM
I would guess they will institute some kind of all day fast pass, like at Universal, where you pay $100 extra for the day but get a fast pass to use over and over.

Meanwhile I have to hope they don't drastically change the current fastpass sytem for those unwilling to fork over premium $ for this add-on. Thanks to fastpass I haven't waited in an Indiana Jones, Soarin', Space Mtn., or Splash Mtn. line in memory. It's all fastpass all the time. The current FP system seems to be so popular among those who know how to work it (own it), I'd guess it'll alter how, when, and if people visit if DL is to remove the current "free service" system.

Not familiar w/ universal's system ... do they have a premium and "free service" fastpass like DL's current type? (probably a stupid question, I know).
Sorry to veer off topic.

EmmasMom
08-18-2010, 11:41 AM
How about a special Disneyland card for each person that is tied in to your credit card or bank account. When you go through the front entrance gate an amount is deducted. At each ride entrance, there is a scanner where you tap the card and more money is deducted, similar to the Tube in London. You could have different lines costing different amounts, higher cost would mean less wait time.

The beauty is you would not need to hire more people (saving expense) because it is an automated system. Plus you could charge for other perks. You could charge extra for the front seat on roller coasters, like airlines do. Want to have your picture taken with a character, just tap your card on the box attached to their waist and they smile for you. At restaurants, every table could have a screen where you order your food then tap your card to pay. For better service, better push the 25% tip key.

Wouldn't it make Disneyland a better place to visit? The really rich people could wear "I have lots of money and I am better than you" t-shirts as they wisk to the front of the lines.

Note: Sarcasm

kimi911
08-18-2010, 12:07 PM
I guess it's true it couldn't be a full day due to it shutting down Disneyland.

It would have to start at 6 or 7pm like the Halloween party, but cost much more money. I suppose they could do it in the middle of the night like a Grad Nite, but there probably wouldn't be many willing to pay hundreds of dollars for that.

The thing is, I wouldn't want it just for the rides. The point is that the entire park is so much more beautiful when it's a small, happy group of visitors spread out like in the first say 30 minutes of magic mornings. The park really is the happiest place on earth during that time. Honestly, I always feel a bit bad for those who pay up to $101 for a day's park hopper and show up around 12 noon with those massive crowds. The park is a bit of a mess in that middle of the afternoon time.

I don't think it shows money obsessed or trying to elevate oneself. It could be that thing you do once in a decade for that special night at Disneyland with very minimal crowds.

99 percent of my visits would still be on a regular day, but if such a special evening was offered, I'd try to do it, at least once.

Well, it might still be an awful idea. However, I guess someone at Disney has thrown around some kind of ideas on how to get more money per guest. We shall see what they decide I suppose.

Interesting to discuss for sure.

Sadly, the scary scenario you mentioned EmmasMom doesn't seem as far stretched as it should be. Besides the ride shortcuts, I think a lot of the rest happens now.

It's a tough thing for sure. I've thought about that too. The money Disney rings in every minute at these parks, tickets, water, annual pass center, food, souvenirs. It's really mind boggling.

disneylandgirl
08-18-2010, 12:32 PM
How about a special Disneyland card for each person that is tied in to your credit card or bank account. When you go through the front entrance gate an amount is deducted. At each ride entrance, there is a scanner where you tap the card and more money is deducted, similar to the Tube in London. You could have different lines costing different amounts, higher cost would mean less wait time.

The beauty is you would not need to hire more people (saving expense) because it is an automated system. Plus you could charge for other perks. You could charge extra for the front seat on roller coasters, like airlines do. Want to have your picture taken with a character, just tap your card on the box attached to their waist and they smile for you. At restaurants, every table could have a screen where you order your food then tap your card to pay. For better service, better push the 25% tip key.

Wouldn't it make Disneyland a better place to visit? The really rich people could wear "I have lots of money and I am better than you" t-shirts as they wisk to the front of the lines.

Oh gosh I was reading this thinking "hmmm... not a bad idea... wait, charge for the front seat of roller coasters? She can't be serious... wait, now character greetings? Weird lady... WAIT, now food service? She's got to be kidding!"

LOL. I would like lots of money and one of those T-Shirts please. ;)

Teddi
08-18-2010, 01:13 PM
I read thru the news article and I am totally, completely disgusted. Truly and totally.

Leave the dang tickets alone. "Premium holiday", etc etc.

Sooooo their NEW ideas are take away things from the normal, everyday people (days in the park, fastpass) things that us "normalings" enjoy (yet, mind you, continue to get us to fork over our dollars to disney verses other parks or vacations altogether) so that those with way more $ to fork over get to buy specialness, made special only because other's aren't getting/doing what they are.

Leave the ticketing alone. Leave fastpass alone. If you want to offer upgrades above and beyond and charge ppl for that, then do that. But a policy of take-aways to make others be more exclusive- screw that. Do we really need to be walking about Disneyland/world and have it made clear that there are visible differences amongst us. It's already mind freaking boggling trying to plan a trip to WDW with all the DISNEY extra complexities.

darph nader
08-18-2010, 04:55 PM
If they pull this off,it's gonna pretty much tell the average/occasional tourist,"Too bad,so sad. If you can't pony-up,tough twinkies". :mad:
IMHO.

twindaddy
08-18-2010, 06:44 PM
I must say, being in the park when it is deserted is pretty cool. My brother is a CM, and he took me with him to the cast party a few years back. The place was DESERTED....I mean, not even Peter Pan had a line...it was almost eerie...but really cool because all the CM's were kinda letting loose a bit, bending the scripts (alot), and heckling (in a joking way) people in the parade that they obviously knew. It was beyond fun and cute.

I can see them doing a "late night disney" special thing and staying open super late, like grad nights....

JerrodDRagon
08-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Disney is getting to cocky again, I really hope Universal gets huge lines when it opens and hurts Disney, I would love to see the company make money but when you start making special events you take way everything the park once stood for and make it for the rich only. Yes I count anyone willing to pay 150 bucks for a all day fastpass rich since a Universal AP is 20 bucks cheaper than that. (one whole year vs one day, without paying for parking/normal ticket)

cstephens
08-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Disney is getting to cocky again, I really hope Universal gets huge lines when it opens and hurts Disney

What do you mean when Universal opens?

twindaddy
08-18-2010, 11:33 PM
What do you mean when Universal opens?

Didnt most of it burn down a few years ago?

JerrodDRagon
08-18-2010, 11:59 PM
What I meant to say is when Transformers open at Universal, the ride looks like one of the best themed action rides we have gotten since Indy. I just like it when Disney knows that they can make improvements and not just say were #1 and try to raise prices and not add more E-ticket rides to the parks.

SUNSHINE4565
08-19-2010, 12:30 AM

I love this post, where can I sign up for one of those t-shirts :)

darph nader
08-19-2010, 01:14 AM
I love this post, where can I sign up for one of those t-shirts :)

You might want to rethink that,Disney will probably charge $250.00 for the shirts. (does not include parking,park admission or resort fees) :eyeroll:

cheshirecatgirl
08-19-2010, 06:25 AM
I can see them shutting the park down an hour two early, and then having a special evening ticketed event...call it Disney's magic evening or something, with only a few thousand guests in the park from 7PM - 2AM or something like that.

They used to do this at WDW's MK, E-ticket nights. It was really awesome. They would sell tickets, only for resort guests, but only a very limited number and the park was yours from I think 9PM to 1AM. They did not have all the rides open, only the deemed good ones! And the tickets only cost about 12 dollars! It was soooo much fun! My friends and I did this on several occasions, and I went with my mom once. No lines, no crowds. One night I went on Big Thunder Mtn 11 times in a row without getting off! It was especially fun to flash your wristbands at 9:00 and watch others get turned away from the rides because they didn't have a wristband!

Unfortunately, they stopped doing this and started having the extra magic hours in the evenings for resort guests. I never did those, after trying it, because they were way too crowded.

kimi911
08-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Very interesting.

I suppose the Halloween tickets are a perfect example of the process. It's just that the tickets are somewhat reasonable, so people do not fuss about it too much.

The downside to the Halloween event is they sell so many tickets, the benefit is not a quieter park, but rather the special Halloween theming and included candy :) .

cstephens
08-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Didnt most of it burn down a few years ago?

The Universal backlot had a fire which destroyed quite a bit, including the stage with King Kong in it, but most of it was rebuilt and re-opened either late last year or early this year, I forget which. They even have the new 3D King Kong thing open now.

Oldtimer
08-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I have had guests on busy summer days, often ones who traveled a long way and can't visit that often, ask me that very question. For us local folks if it's too busy we can just come back another day, but for a family vacation, if the park is almost too crowded to move, they don't get a do over. After a planned visit to the park last year, on the final day all annual passes were not blocked before the start of the summer season; it was clear to me that too much crowd can dampen the Disney magic a bit.

It think the idea could have some merit, however, Disney would have to come up with a reasonable limit on visitors and a fair price for the perk of " no crowds days" and be sure they have enough fanfare as to prevent a lot of the "what do you mean you are full and I can't visit today?!?!?" along with a plan to deal with would be guests unaware of the 'events."

I'm not sure I would expect the pricing would really be within reach of an average family in this economy.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Oldtimer:cool:

subscript: While poof reading this out loud my spouse commented that they do have no crowd days, almost every year; our traveling visitors just need to pick a day with heavy threats of rain.

twindaddy
08-23-2010, 11:36 PM
With all due respect to the last posters out of town friends, I plan my entire vacation / year schedule around when the park is not crowded or hot so I can go.

If you think you can go on July 4th weekend and have a breeze of a trip, you are fooling yourself. You have to do your research and know what to expect...

disneylandgirl
08-24-2010, 07:46 AM
subscript: While poof reading this out loud my spouse commented that they do have no crowd days, almost every year; our traveling visitors just need to pick a day with heavy threats of rain.

AMEN to that. :p I always HOPE for rain on my trips.

With all due respect to the last posters out of town friends, I plan my entire vacation / year schedule around when the park is not crowded or hot so I can go.

If you think you can go on July 4th weekend and have a breeze of a trip, you are fooling yourself. You have to do your research and know what to expect...

I'm the same way. I try to plan trips for the beginning of December. I know it will not be very crowded, and I pray for rain so that it really empties out. BUT, I do realize also that not all people have the luxury of taking time off in early December. A lot of people can only go in the summer months or during a vacation time.