PDA

View Full Version : Soap Opera Weekends return May 31 - June 1 & June 7-8

Darkbeer
04-05-2003, 02:18 PM
ABC Super Soap Weekends, presented by Purina, are returning to Disney's California Adventure™ park this spring. On May 31st and June 1st, Disney's California Adventure™ will host stars from "All My Children" and "One Life To Live." Then on June 7th and 8th, the park will welcome stars from "General Hospital" and "Port Charles." Both weekends are sure to delight Guests of all ages with exciting activities, a star-studded cavalcade and special interactive opportunities with the stars.

OK, who will start with the dog food jokes;)

MouseWife
04-05-2003, 03:28 PM
Okay, Darkbeer.

Where did you hear this and is this 100%? I am sort of tired of the reservation staff giving me this attitude like I am some sort of soap freak.

Oh, wait. I am. :D

I am off to call and see what I can find out!!!

Darkbeer
04-05-2003, 03:58 PM
The information comes from the AP only section of the Disney.com site, they are advertising a package that includes...

One night accommodations at any of our Hotels of the Disneyland® Resort, One breakfast with the ABC Daytime soap stars (includes tax & gratuity), and a commemorative gift!

They list a phone number, but since it is for AP's only, I won't post it (They said to call for rates), but you can find it in the list on the right side of the screen, where the AP special offers are located.

So, I would say 100%, but of course, anything is subject to change at Disney.... so I will only say that you have a very high chance to hang with other Soap freaks :D

MouseWife
04-05-2003, 04:13 PM
Well dagnabbit. I am not an APer.

I did call and spoke to a very nice woman who said the packages were not up yet. She said that the 7th it will be advertised, probably in the paper?

I will be calling again tomorrow and then again the 7th.

It really was a lot of fun last year and staying at the G.C. was extra nice.

Thanks for the information, I will stay on top of it. :)

Berry Princess
04-05-2003, 09:34 PM
I do know that the dates are right for at least with AMC. I had no idea they would be doing it with 2 weekends only this time though. Susan Lucci's site has the dates up and the yahoo group had an email about doing a tea with her that Friday.

MouseWife
04-05-2003, 09:39 PM
Aha!!

Wow. I wish I was a member of her club. I would love to go to her tea.

Alas, I am not a member of anyones club, even though I have watched her since the beginning.

Anwho, I am itching to get my reservation.

Berry Princess
04-07-2003, 11:20 AM
Just go sign up for her yahoo group. That is all it is and its free. You can sign up from her website susanlucci.com I think that is right. LOL

MouseWife
04-07-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Berry Princess
Just go sign up for her yahoo group. That is all it is and its free. You can sign up from her website susanlucci.com I think that is right. LOL

Thank you!! I will do that!!

MouseWife
04-08-2003, 03:09 PM
Okay. Let me get my information in order.

Thank you, Berry Princess, for the La Lucci tea information. I will persue the information through the club but what I did get without contacting anyone is that Ms Lucci wants to have a charity tea and that it will cost $40. You can sign up through this person on the Yahoo website.

Next, I called the Disney hotels directly and got a much different story than when I called the Walt Disney Travel. They said there was a two night minimum.

When I was put through and told them what I wanted, they asked me, 'How many nights?' I slowly said 'One......' 'Okay, no problem, what date?'

So, calling directly I was able to still book the package by staying only one night. You can add a night for $289. but that isn't a deal if you ask me.

It is more than I paid last year but I really want to go. Who knows, things might change and I don't but for now, I am. :)

And, if I want to I can book the breakfast for both days. But, I was told it is $60. so that is a lot. Once is enough for that. And, I won't tell hubby it is that much. No way, uh uh.

And, I would bet that if you have an AP you can get it for even less, if you are so inclined to go. :)

This is much better than what I was quoted by the Walt Disney Travel. For the two of us {chickie and I} it would have been $999. !!!!!! Two nights, sure, but that is a heck of a lot of dough!!

So, I don't get the lanyard, fastpass thing, pin, or ESPN card but that is alright.

When it gets closer I would love to know who else is going {granted I still am!! :( }.

Berry Princess
04-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your info. I can't believe how much it is for the hotel. Geez!!! It would figure though. Thankfully I don't have to do hotels since I live close to it but like I said I won't be able to go since I won't have my AP anymore as of tomorrow. :crying: And we could end up moving befoe or during that time so I don't want to make any plans on when we will go again. I can tell my one friend to come with me to Dland whenever since she works for Disney and we can get in that way but I don't think she likes soaps. LOL When it gets closer we will see what is going on here.
I do know from having done hotels before that it seems to be better to call the hotels directly rather then go through the internet or travel ones most the time..especially for 1 night. I had looked up on all those different discount sites and never was given discount prices. They were always more then the hotel gave me for a price when I would call directly. Anyway, if you get to go MouseWife have fun and take lots of pics and share them with me. :D

MouseWife
04-09-2003, 10:45 AM
I sure will!

Ya know, thinking about the costs, I feel sort of guilty splurging so. I considered going to a much much much cheaper hotel but when I told my hubby he said that the G.C. is part of the whole experience. See, they are coming with me, though not for the soap dealio.

I need to call back and see if I can get a discount with that LMQ code. I sure hope that is it because I told someone that is what it was........:o

cstephens
04-22-2003, 10:56 PM
There's information about the SuperSoap Weekends in this article here (http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID112650.asp).

Berry Princess
04-23-2003, 07:44 AM
I just checked the lineup out and have to say I am disappointed in how many our newer actors/actress. I don't care for any of them either. It would be nice to see more of the long time ones but I guess maybe they don't want to do it or already busy. Oh well I'm not to disappointed now about not being able to go though. LOL

MouseWife
04-23-2003, 08:27 AM
Wow. I wonder if more will show up? I am trying to remember last year.

Well, I will hold my reservation until I decide A} I don't care to see just those people or B} I can't afford it. :rolleyes:

I am planning on taking the hubby and younger son. But, if that is the highlight of the weekend then I ought to just do it when there won't be tons of people.

Thanks for the link!!

Berry Princess
04-23-2003, 09:05 AM
I think that will probably be it since they are doing 2 soaps each weekend. Its a shame too. There are so many others that I would love to see and meet but most of them listed I could care less about.

MouseWife
04-23-2003, 10:18 AM
:( I would love to see Michael E. Knight again. I just love him.

Michael Cambias? Who the heck wants to see him? He is a low down dirty dog. :mad:

Maybe they think that by bringing in la Diva herself that will be enough to keep the old fans occupied and the new characters to bring in the new viewers?

Sucks. Well, it could save me a lot of money. :D

Berry Princess
04-23-2003, 11:04 AM
Sucks. Well, it could save me a lot of money.

Yes it does. LOL I know it saves me some. I wouldn't have done the hotel since I live nearby and couldn't afford that but it saves me a days worth of money that would be spent for food or drinks. LOL

I really don't understand why some of those people are doing it. Boyd, Reggie, Cambias, Carlos and a few others. What are they thinking? I guess maybe its for the teenaged/early 20s girls that are watching for the guys that are suppose to be hot. LOL I just don't see a point in these people being there. Then you throw in the new Joey from OLTL and that poor guy is probably going to hear some not so nice things cause he isn't good and I would rather see the last guy doing Joey then this one. LOL Plus, Flash (lamo character) and the new Jessica (she sucks). And then other weekend is doing it too with the newbies. It is just wrong to put so many..especially recast ones into this. I did notice that GH bring the original Nikolas back which I think because he will be there that he will get a great response from fans but for the most part they should have kept newbies out as much as possible. Its a big shame.

MouseWife
04-23-2003, 11:31 AM
That is Jessica??? I had missed a lot, only really watch when I have a lot of time {only watch one, with homeschooling I can't watch too much......} but I saw the new girl and I just thought it was freaky.

Yep, I guess they think the ones that we want to see are too old to attract the crowds. Well, I think it is viewers like us that have carried these shows all of these years.

So, I am bummed. Toying with not going, and feeling like I found a stash of cash. LOL

It was fun though.

Wishy washy, sorry. :D

hbquikcomjamesl
04-23-2003, 12:16 PM
Uh, let me get this straight. No Soap Opera Bistro, but they're still doing Super Soap Weekends.

Sounds meshuga. (And you KNOW it's seriously meshuga when a Goy starts speaking Yiddish.)

MouseWife
04-23-2003, 01:45 PM
Yes, it was really a treat for people to eat there and meet characters.

This time there will only be a breakfast, sounds lovely though, in the ballroom at the G.C. and the following weekend at the P.P.

I just have to wonder what type of 'gifts' there will be with Purina
being the sponsor?

TubaToo
05-24-2003, 11:16 PM
Just one more week until the AMC/OLTL weekend! This will my first time attending SSW. Any tips for a newbie from those who've been to SSW before...either at DCA or WDW? I've printed out the schedules from the ABC website, so I'm trying to plan my days to the absolute minute! :) Of course, I don't know how long you need to stand in line to get an autograph, so my planning may go right out the window. At least it will be fun. I can't wait!

MouseWife
05-25-2003, 12:18 AM
Well, due to a conflict in family desires, I am not going this year.

But I did go last year.

First thing~check check and recheck the websites. I can't remember if it was the ABC site with the schedules or what.

What happened was this~ they scheduled the park to open at 10a.m. That is also the time they scheduled the first autograph sessions. Bad bad move.

So, they decided to open the park at 8 a.m. They didn't tell everyone. I think I actually found out on HERE. Thank you who ever it was who posted it, by the way.

So, we get there at 8 a.m. I get in one line and my daughter in another. If I can remember, they limit it to 75 {less or more, I am not sure} and then they close the line. Hopefully they would tell the person who is NOT getting the autograph/photo that they aren't and tell them to go and get into another line. At 8 a.m. they didn't but later I think they did.

Anywho, you have to wait and wait and wait. If there is someone you want to see for sure, you make sure and get there early. Sometimes people were waiting for the next person while the first person was just barely there.

Planning is great, that is what I did. I had the schedule and they gave us a free book with another schedule. Running around to see if you can make it to another line is great.

Also, I would suggest if you have someone save a place in line for you, you probably should switch places with them {say a hubby or kid?} because of the limit of people, they count the people in line and if someone gets cut because you came into the line, well, it could get ugly. Believe me.

The people I couldn't get pictures/autographs of from waiting in line, I stood in front of them and got some pretty nice shots.

If you can go both days, that would be best. You'll have better luck seeing more people that way.

Go to the Millionaire show, I saw it with La Lucci and Jack Scalia. Mamma Mia! They did sizzle. The chemistry they put out. Oh well.

Also, the talk show they did {last year it was Linda Dano, don't know this year} was a great experience.

The parade was quick but an interesting photo op.

Have fun!

And, if Michael E. Knight shows up, you tell him that I didn't go because he wasn't supposed to be there. :mad:

Oh, if you are with someone who is also wanting to get autographs/photos, but different than yours, split up. This is the way my daughter and I did it. We would meet after each one and then decide who was next.

PurpleDove33
05-25-2003, 02:07 AM
MouseWife, I am sorry your not going to get to go this year. I have been looking forward to this since SSW ended last year. I don't know if you all got that little flyer in the mail this past week, but I had called the number to see about going to one of the breakfasts with the stars. But they said you couldn't do that unless you stayed at one of the Disney hotels. Well just for curious sake, I called the number and I was told you had to stay a minuimn of 2 days and that package had it where you were buying the ticket into the park. I asked them what about us that have annual passes and they said they couldn't do anything about it. But the flyer I got had a different number to call and it only required one night stay with the breakfast and the commerative gift. Which I did ask the CM what the gift was, and he said it is a SSW watch. But who knows. I will have to wait and see. They were all booked up for the AMC/OLTL weekend but they had an opening for GH/PC weekend. So I am treating myself and going. I did have a question. I am staying at Paradise Pier hotel. What are the rooms like there? I have never been to any of the disney hotels. So this will be another of the disney experience for me.
I did see on SoapNet's web site they had who was going to be there and where in the park and what time they are scheduled to be in what place. I know I am really looking forward for these two weekends.

MouseWife
05-25-2003, 01:01 PM
Well, I cancelled my reservations a couple of days ago from the G.C., for the AMC weekend, and I had booked it through the hotel. I had two reserved for the breakfast~ you might want to try and see if anyone has snatched them up.

It was for the 31st. Just Saturday night.

Yep, I am bummed. But, life gets in the way sometimes of the fun stuff.

You have fun!!

Oh, the PP rooms are really nice. They are bigger than the G.C.
I really liked them. Clean, nice views, nice people. You'll like it. :)

TubaToo
05-25-2003, 08:30 PM
Mousewife, thank you for all those notes!!! It's all very helpful and it's much appreciated. I hope you get a chance to go in the future again.