PDA

View Full Version : Paul Pressler's Talent

Morrigoon
08-02-2001, 04:06 PM
WHAT? DID I REALLY SAY THAT?

Yes, I did.

I have been as big a critic of Pressler as anyone else around here, but there is some merit to the guy.

I think we can pretty well agree that Downtown Disney is a success. It's even great. (Yes, it could be better, needs more open at night, but it's getting there.) DCA, on the other hand, has some shortcomings as a theme park.
Now, given the performance of certain parts of the company lately, I think one thing is glaringly obvious - Pressler is valuable to the company, he is talented... he is also misused. The company is wasting his talent. They've put him in an area he doesn't have the "touch" for (ie: theme parks) and removed him from his area of expertise - merchandise, as the miserable performance of the Disney Stores proves. I actually bought a $65 Cinderella waterglobe a couple weeks ago for under $20, thanks to the 75% discount being offered. 75%? How sad is THAT!
I say, give the guy a fancy title, a small raise (or more stock) and put him back in charge of the Disney stores! They were actually good when he was in charge of them. For that matter, the parks were a lot better when Paul was in charge of the stores (;))

Anyway, that's my $0.02

merlinjones
08-02-2001, 09:31 PM
Downtown Disney is the sort of thing PP does best - - create a marketing/merchandising venue, letting others supply the entertaining product. He apparently knows how to create a good mall, not how to put on a compelling show.

As you may have noticed in his recent online interview, the man talks endlessly of the marketing aspects of the "brand" and "products" and very little of creating a cool entertainment concept or experience. He's part of the culture that has confused the marketing theory of the product with the product itself.

Really, Anti-Walt seems to blame for confusing these things and putting PP in such an awkward position.

I guess I can understand the appeal. PP IS kinda cute in a bland, corporate way... nice shoulders!

Morrigoon
08-02-2001, 09:46 PM
I hope that "cute" comment wasn't intended for me. If you look at the text of my post, we're agreeing. What Pressler understands is stores, and I feel he'd be much better used if he was in charge of the Disney Stores, and NOT in charge of parks.

merlinjones
08-02-2001, 09:57 PM
>>I hope that "cute" comment wasn't intended for me. If you look at the text of my post, we're agreeing. What Pressler understands is stores, and I feel he'd be much better used if he was in charge of the Disney Stores, and NOT in charge of parks.<<

Chill, br'er! Your suggestion is mighty satisfactual!:)

Morrigoon
08-02-2001, 09:59 PM
Okieday :)

merlinjones
08-02-2001, 10:09 PM
Walt:

"Here age relives fond memories of the past and youth may savor the promise of the future..."

Anti-Walt:

"Here age mourns fond memories of the past and youth may savor the profits of the future..."

rob
08-03-2001, 06:46 AM
And that is what Al has been saying. He doesn't hate PP, he just hates the fact that he is misused in Parks. He should be in Marketing or again in charge of the stores.

I understand that Mikey is training PP, trying to give him a well rounded understanding of the entire business. That is how most companies work. But I don't fell PP is developing in his Theme Park skills as much as he is morphing the Park into a mall.

Mass Nerder
08-03-2001, 08:56 AM
oxymoron: ox·y·mo·ron
Pronunciation: "äk-si-'mOr-"än, -'mor-
Function: noun

- a combination of contradictory or incongruous words

ODV CM
08-04-2001, 09:27 PM
Speaking of that interview, did I misread it, or did Paul Pressler say that Pirates of the Carribian was in Fantasyland? I know that he doesn't like to go into the park too much, but good grief man, don't you have a map of the park on your wall or something?

ODV CM
08-04-2001, 09:29 PM
Incidentally, though, Downtown Disney is very very good and is actually holding its own against the Block at Orange, which definately offers more, though not the quality of what you get(save for the AMC movie theater, which offers 30 theaters all with stadium seating). I have to admit, when I first heard the concept, I was very skeptical, and thought that people wouldn't go to "Disney" when the Block was so close, that teenagers wouldn't think it was that cool, but it really really paid off for them. Kudos to Paul Pressler and whoever else came up with this.

Lacrosse Boy
08-05-2001, 11:17 AM
shop keeping

Berry Princess
08-05-2001, 01:05 PM
Speaking of that interview, did I misread it, or did Paul Pressler say that Pirates of the Carribian was in Fantasyland? I know that he doesn't like to go into the park too much, but good grief man, don't you have a map of the park on your wall or something?

You misread it. It looks like Pressler screwed up by how he said things. He should had either said the thing about Fantasyland first or last cause it can mislead you to believe he thinks it is there. But he was saying he loved the Pirates at Disneyland most and that he thought Fantasyland was still the most charming of all. I had to reread it to understand what he was saying cause of how it was all put together.