PDA

View Full Version : First time at DCA

John-311
08-02-2001, 01:29 PM
Hey, I'm going to DCA for the first time tomorrow and was wondering what exactly to skip or to go on? What are the best places to eat? I know everyone hate DCA but I want to check it out at least once. Any tips? What should i go on in the morning? How should i tour the park? Thanks!

Ralph Wiggum
08-02-2001, 01:50 PM
I would say try and get to Soarin right away.... and try and get to Screamin' early.... Grab a fast pass for Grizly River at about 1030 or 11 so that you can ride it in the afternoon but not wait in line.

Briarose710
08-02-2001, 04:27 PM
try Taste pilots grill to eat if you want quick service (burgers , ribs its in condor flats) they give you good food and a lot of it so you dont feel like you get tto ripped off! in the mood for a restaturant?? well yea cant help you there i do quick service all the way! warning if your gonna catch the electrical parade the lkines along the parade rout e staart to form about 2 hours if not more before. the animation attraction cna be interesting if you like that kinda stuff! and the Bugs life "Its tough to be a bug" adults and kids seem to like. soarin and Grizzly rapids along with Screamin (when its running) are the major lines try to hit soarin and screamin early and the fast pass the rapids (warning you will get soaked! if you dont want to the store near the entrance "rushin river outfitters" sells panchos adult ones are 6 and kids are 5 i think)
tomorrow meaning friday?? right?? the soap opera bistro has some people from "General hospital" doing a signing and answering questions at the hyperion theatre so it could be nuts in the hollywood area pretty much all day!
hope that helped a bit!

RideMax Mark
08-02-2001, 08:03 PM
Everybody has their own take on how best to do the park, but my advice would be to make sure you get there by opening time at 9:00. Grizz, Soarin', and Mulholland Madness can all run out of FP's by mid-afternoon.

Personally, I would grab a FP for Soarin' on my way in, then head straight for the Sun Wheel, which is a slow-loader and can get backed up more quickly than the other PP attractions. I'd then go ride Mulholland Madness and the Golden Zephyr, then head back to ride Soarin' with your FP, but grab another FP for Griz on the way. Then I'd ride Soarin' and possibly SSL if you're game, then grab another FP for Soarin' before riding Griz with your FP. If you make it this far, congratulations! You can then ride California Screamin' with FP in the afternoon (it doesn't run out nearly as early as the other popular FP attractions).

Have a great time!

Mark

RideMax for Disneyland (http://www.ridemax.com)

FantasmicFan82
08-02-2001, 08:06 PM
Thats' Mark's Summery of the program. haha. hey mark, i'm going to DL next monday, can i get some help. LoL;)

Morrigoon
08-02-2001, 09:53 PM
A good place to see MSEP is near the Whoopi theatre. We found spots there just before the preshow band drove by, and that was on a Sunday.

Food wise, I'd say slip out of the park and go get a turkey and bacon sandwich from LaBrea Bakery. The bacon is really high quality and it has grilled onions on it - yummy! Oh wow, my mouth is watering... hahaha.

Gandalf
08-03-2001, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Morrigoon
A good place to see MSEP is near the Whoopi theatre. We found spots there just before the preshow band drove by, and that was on a Sunday.

Food wise, I'd say slip out of the park and go get a turkey and bacon sandwich from LaBrea Bakery. The bacon is really high quality and it has grilled onions on it - yummy! Oh wow, my mouth is watering... hahaha.
I hear ya! Their food is great. There's not much to their seating but you can find seating over in the Disneyland picnic area if you need it. Anyone know what is going to happen when the sale of La Brea Bakery is final? Will they close or will Disney bring in another vendor?

ralfrick
08-03-2001, 10:40 PM
On a weekday, about what time would you figure to get a fast pass for Soarin' with a return time of 6-8 PM? Trying to time in a hotel break, I realize that's getting frighteningly specific, but best guess......

Also, the devious side of my mind wonders, are the fast pass systems in DL and DCA linked? In other words, can you get a pass for Indy, then one for Soarin' before 2 hours have passed?

RideMax Mark
08-04-2001, 10:44 AM
Ralfrick, if you're going within the next couple of weeks, I'd guess that getting a FP for Soarin' at around noon or so should get you back in the early evening.

When I was at the parks the first weekend in July, the FP systems were NOT linked, so you could do exactly as you describe.

Have fun!

Mark

RideMax for Disneyland Software (http://www.ridemax.com)

John-311
08-04-2001, 11:40 AM
Hey thanks everyone! I went yesterday and had a good time. DCA is fun if you try not to think about all the bad stuff (like how so many things have nothing to do with california, etc.). If you just think about each individual theme for each ride, its ok. I went on California Screamin' 5 times (each time with fastpass), Maliboomer twice, GRR twice, Maholland Madness once, then almost everything else once. We didn't go on Superstar Limo cause it broke down while we were in line and we waited for like 15 minutes, then bailed. Soarin' was the first thing we did, it was fun. It really stinks that they have to close it at 10 PM cause we wanted to do more stuff. The electrical parade was fun to watch. Hollywood and Dine's pizzas are good. Steps in Time was pretty lame, I thought, but ok (again, nothing to do with california). Thanks for all the tips!