PDA

View Full Version : Another Candy Cane Inn vs. DL Hotel Question

carsoni
04-04-2003, 03:23 PM
Similar to recent thread, I'm curious about pros and cons of Candy Cane vs. DLH. I've stayed at DLH and like it a lot, but since they ditched the direct monorail and you have to hoof it through Downtown Disney, it's a bit of a drag. With two kids, ages 2 and 4 1/2, would you go the Candy Cane Inn route? It's cheaper and seems like the distance isn't much different. Can anyone specify just how the travel time is different? Is it actually easier to catch the Candy Cane shuttle than walk to DLH?

Any other suggestions? Relatives have also encouraged us to try the DL Hotel Concierge level, which is around $240/night. It sounds like a huge stretch for not much more. Especially considering at $122 we can get breakfast delivered to our room at Candy Cane... thoughts??? Thanks!

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 03:41 PM
Hi,

In my opinion, the Concierge level at the Disneyland Hotel is nice, but not worth the extra money. Disneyworld is another story, but the DL Hotel isn't a huge difference.

The walking distance between the Candy Cane and the DL Hotel is about the same.. It's a little further to the Candy Cane than DTD is.. I'd say it'll add an extra minute and a half to your walk.. not a huge difference.

And the breakfast at the Candy Cane is great, they have a special pool for the kids, and the grounds are beautiful. Plus, they have a shuttle!

Hope that helps.

dsny1mom
04-06-2003, 08:16 AM
I haven't stayed at the CC since I was a child, back in the 50's- 60s, so I can't help you with that.

But, we have stayed at the DLH every summer since 1986, including the years after DTD was up and running.

The monorail service from DL to DLH has not changed one bit. The DLH is still in the same place and so is the Monorail station.

What has been discontinued is the Tram service.

Expecting children as young as yours to walk to and from the parks daily, from either DLH or CC, is unrealistic. How about a stroller or two?

Concierge? Hmm.... All I'll say is that we have been conceirge guests every time we stay at DLH since the level opened.

dsny1mom

jazzjunkie
04-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Could anyone tell me what shops are within walking distance from Candy Cane Inn?

slaakker
04-06-2003, 07:27 PM
Personally, I highly reccomend the CC Inn.

The price is much better and you also save money on breakfast. They also have a kiddie pool and the pools are pretty much just out your door.

Other than the Lego store, the kids won't want to spend much time at DTD. Plus, it can be a pain to walk through at night if you head back to your room due to crowds and live entertainment.

If you look on line, you can usually find discounts for CC Inn. The shuttle is free and very convenient. It really surprises me that other small hotels haven't taken after thier example.

Another plus is they keep towels at the pool side so you don't have to bring your own from the room. This is the kind of details that make it better than most.

I just spent two days at the Anaheim Hilton and will never do it again. It was not worth the price, you had to walk a mile to the ice machine, parking, pool, and to the shuttle which you had to pay $2 for a day pass per person.

In summary, IMO, DLH is just not worth the extra money, and yes, I have stayed there too.

Have fun!

Toady The Eighth
04-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jazzjunkie
Could anyone tell me what shops are within walking distance from Candy Cane Inn?

I have to think here... There is an ABC Mart (Nice mini-mart- bigger than most) They have sandwiches, pop, chips, your normal junkfood, etc.

Across the street there's a Subway and a Taco place

And of course, there's all the stuff across the street from Disneyland- I'd consider that easy walking distance. Denny's, IHOP, etc.