PDA

View Full Version : Country Bears Idea

jrad32
04-04-2003, 09:57 AM
How about moving Country Bears to DCA? It seems like it could tie in well with the Grizzly River area, but I don't know if there would be enough space for a theater. Maybe if they got rid of the vineyard and built part of it down into the Grizzley Mountain?

Just a thought. I know Disney wouln't do it, but it would be nice to have another decent attraction at that sinkhole across the esplanade from Disneyland.

furbE95
04-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by jrad32
Just a thought. I know Disney wouln't do it, but it would be nice to have another decent attraction at that sinkhole across the esplanade from Disneyland.
But wouldnt you like to see something new and original? I would hate to see disney spend all that money just to move the attraction to that other park.

scaeagles
04-04-2003, 10:11 AM
But it would be quite a shrewd move....get the DL faithful over to DCA. Maybe even Merlinjones?????

But, I hear the reintroduction of the electrical parade didn't have quite that effect. So maybe it wouldn't work.

Morrigoon
04-04-2003, 10:23 AM
I like the idea of tossing out the wine film and making over that spot to be part of Grizzly. It's on the wrong side of the walkway, but hey, good imagineering can make it work.

Something new? How about putting the ORIGINAL CBJ show back in, since CA hasn't seen that in.... well.... it's been a reallly long time.

merlinjones
04-04-2003, 10:33 AM
I, for one, would rather see the Country Bears relcoated within Disneyland itself. I think a new theatre back in Frontierland's old waterfall area (which once was Mine Train's Bear Country) would put it right in the path of many interested tourists. I think location was part of the problem for Bears (and may yet be for Pooh). Sometimes people don't know what they have lost until it is gone. Their return would be welcomed.

I also think a smaller selection of the Bear Band would provide great mealtime entertainment at the Hungry Bear lodge. This is a perfect use of those great figures!

But rather than lose these classic Marc Davis creations entirely, I would definitely advocate using them at DCA in their own theatre - - or even, better, as the lead characters added to Grizzly Mountain River Run.

DCA needs marketable Disney anthropomorphic characters to sell as toys anyway. Who wants generic bears when you can have a cartoon character? (Humphrey, Ranger Woodlore and the other park Bears would be perfect for DCA too - - and would seem brand new since they have not been shown much to the new generation).

Anyway, the Bears must return... somewhere!

>>But wouldnt you like to see something new and original? <<

Not as designed and budgeted by the creators of DCA and Tomorrowland '98 and Pooh. These efforts are a few steps down from the art of Marc Davis, which should be preserved for posterity.

>>I would hate to see disney spend all that money just to move the attraction to that other park.<<

Why? It's not your money.

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 10:48 AM
I would have liked to see them put the bears in the hungry Bear Restaurant... Kind of like a Chuck-E-Cheese kinda thing. :)

furbE95
04-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
>>I would hate to see disney spend all that money just to move the attraction to that other park.<<

Why? It's not your money.
No, but its my park.

Are you telling me that you have never once complained at disney squandering funds when they could have been used for greater improvements?

merlinjones
04-04-2003, 12:20 PM
>>Are you telling me that you have never once complained at disney squandering funds when they
could have been used for greater improvements?<<

Touche - - but they have already squandered money tearing out Bears and putting in Pooh.

Unfortunately, they seem to have absolutely no plans to build something new of Bears' caliber, which would require unold tens of millions more today than the mere incremental millions of bringing back what already exists in some form. So really, right now the best we can hope is that they restore some of the cool technologically advanced and attractively designed stuff from Walt's era rather than to add more low-end carny crud instead - - at least until the day comes they are willing to build another Disney quality ride at full budget.

Define a greater improvement at that budget level? Perhaps redesigning DCA's entrance and plaza to something lovely and inviting would be one.

At DL, I would rather see Submarines, Tomorrowland, Carousel, Inner Space, PeopleMover, Skyway, Rocket Jets, Tiki Room, Tahitian Terrace, Swiss Family Treehouse, Golden Horseshoe Revue, Captain Hook's Ship and the ROA waterfall restored first - - then Country Bears (sort of a historical priority list). A new E Ticket would be nice, but that wouldn't be at Bear prices.

furbE95
04-04-2003, 12:38 PM
so in other words, you would like to see old attractions brought back until it is financially plausable to come up with a replacement that is actually better than the original?

I can live with that idea

merlinjones
04-04-2003, 12:41 PM
>>so in other words, you would like to see old attractions brought back until it is financially plausable to come up with a replacement that is actually better than the original?

I can live with that idea<<

Beautifully put!

Tref
04-04-2003, 02:46 PM
Merlin writ' :
"But rather than lose these classic Marc Davis creations entirely, I would definitely advocate using them at DCA in their own theatre - -or even, better, as the lead characters added to Grizzly Mountain River Run."

T'riffic idea. Simply, triffic. Short of bringing the bears back with their own theater in DCA, this would be the way to go.

In fact, while they are adding the bears to Grizzly Mtn they might also want to add a thrill or two to the ride, which is a mess.

Merlin, old boy, have you been on the water ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom? (I believe its called the Kali Rapids?) I tried to get some discussion on this before, though, perhaps, there are not many who have been on the WDW ride, but its comparable in theming and execution to the very best of the classic Disney rides. I've said this before ... but the most you can say about Grizzly Mtn is that it will get you wet (but then so will a bucket of water, a hose and a dribble glass)
But, I think you may be on to something with the addition of the Country Bears ... it may not add a thrill to the ride, but it could dress it up a bit and make it a lot of fun. Very well done, sir (or madam, or whatever.) It almost makes up for your one park-one pass suggestion.

So how do you -- or anybody here -- see that being done? It has been two years since I have set foot in DCA (or Disneyland, for that matter) so I am unfamiliar with the queue. Could it be expanded to include a mini-show?

And again, if anyone else wants to add their thoughts about the Kali Rapids in DAK, I would like to hear them.

I remain,

Scalper10
04-05-2003, 12:26 AM
One thing people complain about DCA is the lack of stuff for kids to do there. The Country Bears would help that problem. One theatre in the Grizzly River/Redwood Area. Would hope 1 theatre could be filled. Also would make a new show. Music from "modern" Country Stars.

Big Al= Garth Brooks
Liver Lips= Dwight Yokum
3 girl bears= Dixie Chicks
Trixie=Wynonna
ect ect

I remember seeing Country Bear characters around Bear Country when I was a kid. That would be cool for a "meet & greet" in DCA. I've only been to DCA twice and only ever saw 2 characters in the park. Chip & Dale were in Redwood Creek area.

As for populating Grizzly Mountain. I would take the plastic animals from around the ROA and put them in/around Grizzly Mountain.

With the animals gone from the ROA. I would add animated Disney characters that fit the Frontierland theme around the River.
Paul Bunyan,Pecos Bill,Pocohontas,Johnny Appleseed,Davy Crockett(saw an animated version of him on a package at the Disney Store).

If the Bears were to stay in Disneyland. How bout in the Golden Horseshoe? or on Tom Sawyers island? The Playhouse could replace the fort?

merlinjones
04-05-2003, 08:12 AM
>>Merlin, old boy, have you been on the water ride at Disney's Animal Kingdom? (I believe its called
the Kali Rapids?) <<

I haven't seen it yet. I'll check it out sometime! I'll havce to confess blowing off Animal Kingdom the last time I was at WDW to go to Islands of Adventure!

>>But, I think you may be on to something with the addition of the Country Bears ... it may not add a
thrill to the ride, but it could dress it up a bit and make it a lot of fun. <<

Well, this idea has been brought up by many. But I do feel that DCA needs some Disneyesque visual humor and the Bears might be just the tonic such a dry wet ride needs. Sort of a Splash Mountian Junior.

>>So how do you -- or anybody here -- see that being done? It has been two years since I have set
foot in DCA (or Disneyland, for that matter) so I am unfamiliar with the queue. Could it be expanded to include a mini-show?<<

Have you seen Popeye at IOA? They have a similar raft ride, but with charming character vignettes throughout on little islands and such. They should do this with Marc Davis' bears, as well as have a portion of the band performing for the queue. I'm sure it could be managed artfully if there were a will to accomplish it. After all, they have two sets of AA figures to work with!

merlinjones
04-05-2003, 08:15 AM
>>If the Bears were to stay in Disneyland. How bout in the Golden Horseshoe? or on Tom Sawyers island? The Playhouse could replace the fort?<<

I'd be open to both (but I'd rather see Walt's Golden Horseshoe Revue return to that building).

You could also stage the Country Bears in performance around the Rivers of America or for the Train...

Tref
04-07-2003, 04:03 PM
I like the idea of CBJ on Tom Sawyers Island. I just can't see an easy flow of traffic to and fro.

I would hate to see anything but Billy Hill at the Golden Horsehoe. They are almost as good as the Marx brothers. Long my they play!

DCA is the best deal for the return of the CBJ.

Popeye i know, but what is IOA?

I.r.

merlinjones
04-07-2003, 04:07 PM
>>Popeye i know, but what is IOA?<<

There is a Popeye water raft ride (very similar to GRR) at Islands of Adventure with cute, well designed vignettes of the Popeye characters staged throughout.