PDA

View Full Version : So, why no Soap Opera Weekends

Darkbeer
04-04-2003, 08:25 AM
I was writing a post dealing with the upcoming X-games stuff, when I realized that this was the time of year that the Soap Opera Weekends were offered last year...

So, were they too expensive for the crowds they brought in? Was the people who came not the demographic that Disney wanted? (As far as I can tell, they are still holding the event at WDW). Did too many locals (many with AP's) show up, and not enough hotel rooms sold?

stitcher
04-04-2003, 08:55 AM
Not enough people period.........

I worked the gate that weekend and in the end it wasn't much busier than normal....

MouseWife
04-04-2003, 09:24 AM
I thought they needed more things to offer for people to do to make money off of the weekend.

The Saturday was not very crowded {a blackout date} but all of the soap things were. The lines were all long and if you didn't get into it early, you lost out. The Millionaire Show, their talk shows and Talent Hunts were all filled up.

The package we booked at the Grand CA had a limit of 200 people, to get the breakfast with a lot the characters. They did have meals all day where the celebs came but the morning one was the best, most people.

I think that once the packages were taken, people saw no reason to book through the resort. I booked one night there but the first night I stayed at a hotel that only cost me $70. as opposed to theirs that was over $200.

The Sunday was full of AP's.

I thought they should have had a place where guests could pay to be made over to spend the day looking like a 'Soap Star'.
Or, maybe have a set from the soap and have people take pictures there. Maybe with or without a character. And not have to pay for a meal, just the photo.

I don't know. I would go again.

On Susan Lucci's site it still says she is booked for it May 30-June 1st. Disney resort says that it isn't true and they have no word on it.

merlinjones
04-04-2003, 10:44 AM
Don't forget there is no longer a Soap Opera Bistro to cross-promote. More likely you will see Playouse Disney Weekends.

furbE95
04-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Don't forget there is no longer a Soap Opera Bistro to cross-promote. More likely you will see Playouse Disney Weekends.
My thoughts exactly!

MouseWife
04-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones

True. I would hope that they would take adavantage of one of their other restaurants in DCA for a dining eat and meet for the soaps.

That Playhouse Weekend idea sounds like a great deal for the kids. I don't have any that young anymore.