PDA

View Full Version : Best choice: Desert Inn, Carousel, Hojo, etc?

Pages : [1] 2 3

amismo
04-04-2003, 08:06 AM
Hi,
For my visit, we have decided to try one of the "just across the road" hotels. With two babies (one two year old and one 3 months old) we are looking for convenience, but wincing at the cost of resort hotels. (my in laws are with us so it would be two rooms at $139 each - ouch)

Actually the biggest problem we have at the resort hotels is that food becomes a major issue. Being Asians, we like rice based spicy food at least once a day, and there is a dearth of Chinese, Thai, indian food at the resort area. And the car is parked so far away that getting takeout is a major problem

So anything short of the $200/night range, very very convenient walking to maingate, clean (will try to survive without the fancy Mickey soaps). I am willing to pay a bit more for hotel amenities since my in laws will probably hang out at the hotel a lot (they can not walk too much).

I have a reservation for a family suite delux at Desert Inn for $99.

Thanks
Amismi

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 08:38 AM
Hi,

I don't really like the Desert Inn. It isn't very nice. I would stay at either the Westocoast Anaheim or the Park Inn, or the Carousel if you want something nicer.

mystycalchyk
04-04-2003, 08:48 AM
I've stayed at bothe the Carousel and the Park Vue Inn...Park Vue is the closest. They both are comparable IMO for the quality of the rooms. As far as Im concerned I just want a place thats clean that I can sleep and bathe, so I've never done the more expensive hotels.
Park Vue was where we stayed the last time. It's an older hotel that has been remodeled recently and we were very pleased without accomodations. (Of course it wasnt a luxury place but again, for bathing and sleeping what more do you need?) Our room had a microwave and a refidgerator and a coffeemaker, so we were set. And for closeness sakes you cant beat it. It is directly across the street from the main gate. We love just walking across the street right into the parking lot after and exhausting day as opposed to walking an extra couple of blocks. (however prior to trying the Park Vue we always thought the Carousel was the best...we are now just spoiled by how much closer the Park Vue Inn is)

We will most definately stay at the Park Vue next New Years when we go again.

Matterhorn Fan
04-04-2003, 09:01 AM
While I happen to like the Desert Inn, it isn't really a place where you'll want to be spending a lot of time. It's a clean, friendly, conveniently close place to stash your stuff, sleep, and shower.

If your in-laws are going to be spending a lot of time at the hotel, you will probably be more comfortable at a nicer place. The places right across the street are just motels. They're not yucky, and they're fine for middle-of-the-day naps, but they're not resort locations by any means.

On the other hand, the price you got at the Desert Inn sounds pretty good, and there are nice places to sit and rest on property during the day if your in-laws need a break.

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 09:03 AM
I would actually disagree with the above posts. B E W A R E of the Park Vue Inn. The last client I sent there called me back the day she checked in to say she found a cochroach in her room and wanted me to talk to the front desk so that she could change hotels.

Of course, it's possible she just had a bad room, but needless to say, I don't send my clients there anymore. ;)

Christiii
04-04-2003, 10:08 AM
ok now....the best review Ive seen on the boards here for a non disney hotel were the Candy Cane..so I have reservations there next Friday & Sat nite...so whats your guys opion on the ole Candy Cane???

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 10:38 AM
The Candy Cane Inn is the best Disney off-property hotel, in my opinion. The rooms are clean, with down comforters and lots of pillows, they have a great breakfast, and the property is beautiful. I can't believe I didn't think to suggest that one! You're going to love it, Christi!
:)

Christiii
04-04-2003, 10:43 AM
Im really excited!! I have the Disneyland hotel booked for $119 for Sun - Wed, but I just couldnt pay the $159 for Fri and Sat...I HATE paying that much for a hotel..especially with all their resort taxes and stuff! I really hope I love/like the Candy Cane, as a cheaper alternative to my beloved Disneyland Hotel...I cant wait to get there!!!

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 10:45 AM
You won't be disappointed. I have clients who would rather stay there than the DL Hotel..

amismo
04-04-2003, 10:53 AM
How far is it from the enterance compared to Carousel?

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 11:12 AM
Candy Cane is easy walking distance. It's about a block and a half I'd say. 3-4 minutes longer walk then the Carousel, which is right across the street.

amismo
04-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Well - after reading through other reviews, and calling Candy Cane, I think Carousel is still my top choice at this point.

No microwave, and a little further away....

However, I can see that with a little older kids, candy Cane would work better.

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 11:25 AM
One thing to keep in mind with the Carousel is that their breakfast is toast, coffee, and pre-wrapped pastries. And they have a little desk where you go up and give them your room number before they give you your "breakfast" to make sure you don't take more than you're supposed to.

They also don't have a hot tub, their pool is very small and has too much chlorine in it, and the housekeeping (when I was there last anyway) didn't bring us fresh towels. They just kept hanging our old towels on the rack, even when we asked for more.

The location is good though, and the rooms are clean and the beds are comfortable. It's not a BAD hotel, just keep that other stuff in mind.

Sonya in Boise
04-04-2003, 11:27 AM
I've stayed at both the Desert Inn and the Carousel and the rooms at the Carousel are nicer than Desert Inn. The breakfast at Carousel is better than Desert Inn (more variety), but the front desk staff at Carousel was RUDE. It was two men and I'm glad they weren't there when we checked in. We had a few problems with our room and the women front desk staff were very nice as was the maintence man.

Our keys did not work, so I went back to the front desk and they re-keyed my card and called maintence. The maintence man was back to the room before I was and let my sister and kids in. Our key still did not work, the tv did not work and the phone had been ripped out of the wall. We were heading to DL so Javier said he would have it all fixed while we were out.

We cameback about 2 hrs later and it was all fixed. We also called for a crib and Javier brought it up within minutes. 5.00 per night rental, but it fit in a perfect spot in the room and was out of the way. The crib was very clean and housekeeping changed the sheets daily.

Your price at the Desert inn sounds great, but I would pick the carousel again over the Desert Inn.

Bill Catherall
04-04-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Toady The Eighth
I would actually disagree with the above posts. B E W A R E of the Park Vue Inn. The last client I sent there called me back the day she checked in to say she found a cochroach in her room and wanted me to talk to the front desk so that she could change hotels. I second that. We also found cockroaches in our room (3 of them actually) and changed hotels as fast as possible.

We're going to be giving the Staybridge Suites (http://www.sixcontinentshotels.com/h/d/sb/rates/laxad) a try at the end of the month. You can find really great rates on their website, but you must book it through the website if you want that rate. They won't offer you anything that good over the phone. (Beware though: read the fine print and make sure you are okay with their cancellation policy.) They aren't too far away by ART (Anaheim Resort Transit), and seem to have really nice rooms and other amenities if the in-laws are going to be hanging out there most of the time.

Also, they have 2 bedroom suites so you can be sure to be close to your in-laws. In fact, I'll be sharing one of these suites with my in-laws. We got it for about $180/night, and it will sleep all 7 of us. (It's like getting 2 rooms right next to each other for $90/night each.)

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 11:33 AM
Sonya, I had that problem with the rude front desk too.

When I called to ask for towels, they said they'd send some up and never did. When I finally went down to get them myself, they were very rude. They were rude when I checked in too.

Not very customer-service friendly.

adriennek
04-04-2003, 01:55 PM
The Desert Inn has an awesome location. My friend and her family frequently stay there because the staff is friendly and they like the bigger rooms & suites they get there for their large family (3 kidlets 6 & 7, 1 16-y/o, and parents.) The pool isn't anything to write home about- but they don't go to DL for the pool ;)

Adrienne K

mystycalchyk
04-04-2003, 01:59 PM
Wow...roaches? really? we had no complaints at all...maybe we were just lucky. We thought we had found the best place (for the price obviously).

:(

dsnylndmom
04-04-2003, 02:14 PM
I had problems at the Carousel with customer service when I stayed there also, they were very rude and when I stayed there the breakfast was horrible, toast, juice & coffee and that's it, but that was in 1998! LOL

I stayed at the Desert Inn in 2001 and it was just fine for us, we had a parlor suite room, which was roomy and very clean, the customer service was great bringing us tons of pillows and towels and extra blankys!

The breakfast was fine when we went, sweet rolls, fruit(when we went the fruit was good and fresh!)milk juice coffee, it wasn't alot but we were prepared for that.

The pool is tiny and indoors which alot of people don't like, we like indoors because my younger son is an escape artist and a runner!

I've heard nothing but good reviews on the Hojo's right down that street, you may want to check that out also!

Just stay away from the Fairfield!

Tina:D

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 02:24 PM
You really should stay away from the Fairfield.. It's too bad too, that place used to be one of the nicer hotels on Harbor and now it's a dive... I'd like to see them fix that up again..

And I second the Hojo's recommendation.. I have never had a bad review from a client on that hotel. :)

julia
04-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Hello,

Be careful with the economy type hotels - be sure to compare prices with the moderate hotels because sometimes the prices are close and you get such a better value with the moderate hotels. In any case, the Candy Cane Inn is a great value - outstanding customer service, their location is only about 250 yards from Disneyland and the breakfast is excellent. It is always busy and is one of the first hotels to sell out.

There are many people who go back to the Best Western Park Place Inn again and again and I have heard good things from people recently on the Fairfield Inn. Also, there is a newer Hilton Garden Inn not far from Disneyland - it has a free shuttle service and they are very nice, affordable moderate hotels. If you are looking for a suite, the Anaheim Residence Inn is about a mile from Disneyland - their rooms are very clean, the grounds and pool area are lovely, the staff is wonderful, and they have a daily deluxe continental breakfast with a light supper each evening and a free shuttle to Disneyland. Also, there is a newer Embassy Suites Anaheim South, just more than a block down from Disneyland - they have a daily cooked-to-order breakfast, an evening manager's reception with snacks and beverages with a free shuttle to Disneyland. Finally, there is a new (opened Fall 2002) Marriott Guest Suites in Garden Grove.

There are lots of nice moderate hotels that are not that much more expensive, but you get so much more for your money.

Have a magical day!
Julia

amismo
04-04-2003, 03:00 PM
Thanks Julia, that is exactly my concern. However, I want toavoid shuttles etc because of the two under two year olds I have. Disneyland hotel worked very well for us because the ambiance was just a quick walk away. You really have to catch them in just the right time and be able to take them away also easily.

From that point of view the nearer hotels sound better to me. I am debating about the tiny bit longer walk to Candy Cane Inn, now that so many folks have warned me about the poor customer service at Carousel. But at about $100 per room per night, I might as well splurge a little and go to Disneyland Hotel at $139......Carousel is giving me the two rooms for $116.

My husband is laughing at all this comparison, buit it is SO much fun just planning this vacation, trying to get just the right combination of factors. Maybe with the money we save here, we can splurge on a character breakfast or soemthing else :)

Toady The Eighth
04-04-2003, 03:24 PM
You know, despite the customer service and the breakfast at the Carousel, $116/nt for two rooms is a very good price, and a good value.

After all, how much time do you actually spend with the front desk clerks? And the rooms are clean and comfy, and all have a microwave and fridge.. plus you can't beat the location. For that price, I'd stay there.

QueenofHearts
04-04-2003, 05:05 PM
I just went through the exact same agonizing (but FUN!) that you are doing. We were basically torn between Candy Cane and Best Western Park Place. I picked Candy Cane because ALL the hundreds of reviews out there by people who have stayed in it - EVERYONE loves that place. I figured we couldn's go wrong. We have a 2 and 4 year old and think they will LOVE the kiddie pool (so wuld your little ones) and the 2-3 minute extra walk with strollers at the end of the night was worth nicer beds/bedding, better breakfast, nicer landscaping and all of the pleasant things I've read about it. Plus they do have a free shuttle if we don't feel like walking.

stinkerbell
04-05-2003, 09:05 AM
I have stayed at the Park Vue, long ago, and it hasn't changed much.......still sounds gross and not really updated. Not worth it, in my opinion to be that close, but not want to lay down on your pillow.....

I have stayed at the Park Place and can't recommend it enough. Although the prices can be steep. But I figure with the thoroughness of the continental breakfast, it makes up for it in price, if you have a family of four or five.

I have stayed at the Desert Inn, and it was okay. The rooms were outstanding, customer service excellent, but the hotel itself? Dreary. The continental breakfast was disgusting. I felt dirty just stoppning for coffee in the morning.

I have peeked at a room at the Tropicana, and it was really nice. I was actually very impressed since I had one friend not like it. The family we knew who was staying there when I peeked loved it and highly recommended it.

BUT~~ we are staying at the HoJo in two weeks. I think it's my goal to stay in every hotel on Harbor within one block of DLR. ;)

If you have an Entertainment Book, you can book most of the Disney area hotels for half off the rack rate. Look at www.entertainment.com to see the hotel deals. I booked six nights at HoJo for $310 total. Can't wait! I spent $20 on the book, but saved about $300, so I'm happy. :)