View Full Version : D23 introduces "Refer a Fan" program

AVP
08-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Received from D23:

D23: THE OFFICIAL DISNEY FAN CLUB
DEBUTS ‘REFER A FAN’ PROGRAM FOR ITS MEMBERS

D23 Members Receive Special Rewards When They
Spread the Word about Disney’s Fan Club

BURBANK, Calif. – August 10, 2010 – Membership in D23: The Official Disney Fan Club is already filled with exclusive perks, and now D23 Members who ‘Refer a Fan’ to the global community of Disney enthusiasts will receive very special gifts for making their friends a part of the magic.

When existing D23 Members refer new members to D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, the referring member will receive the following special rewards:

· Refer one (1) fan who becomes a new D23 Member, receive an exclusive collector pin created especially for the D23 Refer a Fan program

· Refer five (5) fans, receive an exclusive three-pin set featuring favorite Disney characters

· Refer 10 fans, receive a special tour of the Walt Disney Archives

· Refer 15 fans, receive a free, one-year Gold-level D23 Membership

This special ‘Refer a Fan’ program began on August 9, 2010, and continues through July 31, 2012, and is open to all existing D23 Members. This program applies to the purchase of new memberships (Gold or Silver-level) only and cannot be applied to the renewal of an existing membership.

D23 Members receive a host of special benefits throughout the year, including a one-year subscription to Disney twenty-three, the quarterly publication of D23 (Gold-level memberships only); access to special, member-only events throughout the year; annual membership gift from the Walt Disney Archives Collection; special discounts and offers on a wide range of products and services; and a suitable-for-framing membership certificate plus a personalized D23 membership card.

In addition, D23 Members will receive discounted admission to the 2011 D23 Expo and a number of special benefits during this ultimate Disney fan event.

Gold-level D23 memberships are $74.99, and Silver-level memberships – which provide all benefits with the exception of a Disney twenty-three subscription – are just $34.99 a year. All discounts and special promotions are available to both Gold- and Silver-level D23 Members.

Disney fans can become members of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club at www.disney.com/D23 (http://www.disney.com/D23) <http://www.disney.com/D23> , select shops at the Disneyland® and Walt Disney World Resorts, and at www.DisneyStore.com/D23 (http://www.disneystore.com/D23).

olegc
08-10-2010, 03:45 PM
i can't decide if they are doing this because their numbers are low, if their growth rate slowed in year 2 and they are trying to meet growth projections (which are different from member rolls), or are they simply trying to grab as many folks as they can.

Regardless - I think pins as an incentive in this economy is a no-win for most, even the die-hard fan.

dban3
08-10-2010, 10:42 PM
I think most people are beginning to see D23 for what it is, a potential revenue stream for Disney that is dressed as an insider's fan club. Unless you live in the greater Southern California area, D23 offers little to anybody other than opportunities to buy "D23 exclusive merchandise". You pay Disney money for the opportunity to pay them more money.

Now that being said, if you are in the greater Southern California, Disney has staged some nice events (for a price) and D23 members, while lamenting that everything costs, do show up for these D23 exclusive events. I'm sure that those members that show up for the Destination 55 event at the Disneyland Hotel next month will, for the most part, be perfectly fine with their D23 memberships.

So my belief is the memberships have stalled and maybe even regressed as those that jumped on the D23 bandwagon early are asking themselves "What's in it for me?" and jumping off. Why not try a referral program as I doubt if they have had many takers on even the $35 memberships.

The D23 Expo in 2011, I believe, will be pivotal in the success or failure of D23. I think the event has already shrunk from the 4 day 2009 version to a 3 day event. If it under performs again, then D23 numbers may continue dwindle. Suggestion for Disney. Take an entire wing and fill it full of Marvel superheroes. Its the only thing that will bring in big numbers people (and also drive the traditionalists nuts). The D23 model needs to be rethought.

olegc
08-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Now that being said, if you are in the greater Southern California, Disney has staged some nice events (for a price) and D23 members, while lamenting that everything costs, do show up for these D23 exclusive events. I'm sure that those members that show up for the Destination 55 event at the Disneyland Hotel next month will, for the most part, be perfectly fine with their D23 memberships.

good points - though at many events I have attended so far in So Cal I don't hear many lamenting the cost. Many do online - but my feeling is that Disney (like any company these days) tries multiple avenues with each property to grow the business - and grabbing folks with more disposable income (yes, even in this economy) makes that separation of have/have not's grow. Oh - and those who can write it off or expense the events/memberships here in So Cal add to the group.

I guess So Cal also is a base reference because at some events that have decent lead time (the March 1 yr anniversary) I heard many folks from all over CA and AZ. so it can draw - but the membership thing I think you called correctly.

GusMan
08-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I think most people are beginning to see D23 for what it is, a potential revenue stream for Disney that is dressed as an insider's fan club. Unless you live in the greater Southern California area, D23 offers little to anybody other than opportunities to buy "D23 exclusive merchandise". You pay Disney money for the opportunity to pay them more money.

This has been my thought from the start, to be honest.
I really like the magazine, even though it is pricey, but it is not like a must have for me. If I see a new one at the local Disney store, Ill get it. But other than that, the membership is not for me.

I would love to hear from members about their experience with D23 and to hear first hand if it is really worth it.

olegc
08-11-2010, 08:31 AM
This has been my thought from the start, to be honest.
I really like the magazine, even though it is pricey, but it is not like a must have for me. If I see a new one at the local Disney store, Ill get it. But other than that, the membership is not for me.

I would love to hear from members about their experience with D23 and to hear first hand if it is really worth it.

I am a member (renewed this year). I mainly joined for the events - and I collect things so the magazine gets a once over and then it's stored. I have found that the events they have held (except for the expo) have been intimate enough where they have been worth it. The Disneyland Birthday with Baxter and Dave Smith, the Up All Night, the 1st Anniversary of D23 (with the Country Bears - my fave), and the studio tour are chances to experience things that while mostly could be the same as others - there are touches of difference that do make them special. And you're not rushed or crowded to ruin your enjoyment.

That being said - it's still a young group and they are finding their way and I suspect that the suits and Mr Iger are a little impatient with the blown away lack of revenue stream from this endeavor. I can only imagine that they expected tons of folks to flock to the club because they are Disneyphiles - and they forgot about the fact that many people are social in their Disney hobby - they like to find groups they are comfortable with and gravitate to that. it's not just about Disney itself but the shared experience and memories. The problem as I see it, if you want to make it one thing, is that the company sometimes appears to say how do we make money at this - first - then about the quality or quantity of experience.

Obviously quality and quantity is relative based on one's own perception. Walt said in the past (paraphrase) if you make something really good people will come. (he did not say if you get the right price point/cost of goods sold). In this modern era things are obviously different - but quality still wins out. I think they have not looked at things in the past like Disneyana and other disneyana-like events to see what really drives people. They tried with D23 but it seemed more focus was spent on the main stage events yet the fans wanted to spend more time on the sessions (remember how crowded they were?)

The above comments are right - the smaller D23 this year is a "status check" but the bigger conference next year will be a key. Note also that 2011 is supposed to be a HUGE summer for movies and Disneyland Resort - and will D23 Expo be a celebration - or will they run out of things to come?

dban3
08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
A friend of mine has a couple of doctor friends (married, both doctors) who are Club 33 members. They make frequent trips to DL because the investment is quite substantial in both the initial fee to join (after the years and years of waiting) and the annual membership dues. Its in the many thousands of dollars. Anyway, my friend once asked them about D23 and he said they kind of looked at him like he was talking Greek having little or no interest in D23. I found the juxtaposition kind of interesting. Here are people who are fortunate enough to have the means to take advantage of everything D23 has to offer but have little or no interest in it. Who really is the D23 target demographic? It looks more and more like local Southern California or Orlando Annual Passholders that Disney can shake down for a little more of their spendable income. And that's the problem.

I have another friend at work (isn't cubicle life wonderful?) who just came back from here annual trip where she usually spends 5 nights at the Grand Californian with an itinerary not lacking in anything - Napa Rose, Blue Bayou, WoC Dinner Package etc. plus she's a collector of those model park pieces (forget the name of the artist). Anyway, just a guess, but her trip must of run between 4 and 5 thousand dollars. And she's a fanatical Disney online shopper but if you ask her about D23 - no interest whatsoever. Her Disney dollars are already allocated to her chosen sources. Now if you're Disney, would you rather have someone pay them $2000 in a hotel reservation or $2000 in D23 events. Well the Disney preference would be both but people do make choices and for many people - real Disney fans - D23 makes no sense at all in their Disney experience.

olegc
08-11-2010, 10:21 PM
great info above - and makes me think what I did during the Expo - that D23's intent is to take what the AP program used to have - and make it the special program for events and special services. Make it open to more people - but charge for what you can. So the older way the AP program rewarded you is gone. It's just entry media and discounts... which, wow, are great but you have to spend money to get something of it. i.e. -taking away what used to be part of the program.

That last line has been a continuing trend at the parks for a while - pull things apart and see if you can charge for it (see the Halloween Screams thread for some thoughts from folks on that).

Regardless - I guess as with anything if you find value then you'll buy into it - but more and more it seems there is forced value instead of true value and you pay more to just get to that one little nugget you wanted. * Sigh *

dban3
08-16-2010, 09:53 AM
Come to think of it.....Would you really want to talk someone (a friend perhaps) into joining D23 knowing they would gain little or no benefit (other than the $75 membership gets the excellent magazine) just for the sake of getting a pin? As they say "desperate times call for desperate measures."

olegc
08-16-2010, 10:01 AM
after reading a summary in today's update - and thinking again about the whole idea - I believe that Disney did not accurately measure the "geek" factor for many of the current fan groups to create their own - mainly because I think the motivation is usually financial first then everything else. And now with those wild ideas about ticketing and experiences... I can only imagine how the gulf between the can, and can't afford it, will grow....

dban3
08-16-2010, 11:25 AM
after reading a summary in today's update - and thinking again about the whole idea - I believe that Disney did not accurately measure the "geek" factor for many of the current fan groups to create their own - mainly because I think the motivation is usually financial first then everything else. And now with those wild ideas about ticketing and experiences... I can only imagine how the gulf between the can, and can't afford it, will grow....

Ain't that the truth. I would like to believe that Walt would have wanted a Disneyland, while expensive because of the costs associated with all the detail, at least would function on a level playing field for everyone who entered the gates (outside of a very exclusive and limited Club 33 membership or VIPs). The idea of paying your way to advanced privileges and creating a Disney class society is both scary and absurd.

dngnb8
08-17-2010, 02:13 PM
IMHO, if youre a Disneyphile, D23 has value. I read the quarterly cover to cover and save them. I was also a Disney Insider and the club before that.

When D23 started, I figured it wouldnt last. They tend to run these about 3 years, then start anew

The funny thing is the periodicals are usually the draw, but Disney cant seem to sustain the subscriptions. I guess you can only talk about it so much.

*edit, never mind AVP, found it*

cstephens
08-17-2010, 06:22 PM

For us, it has, with the couple events we've been to. We renewed this year, and I liked that they offered a level that came without the magazines. Last year, because both the husband and I were members, we got 2 copies of the magazines, which we didn't need. I like that we only have the one copy now since he got the level with the magazine and I got it without.

I'm still not happy with the mess of registering for events, which they can't seem to figure out and really need to fix. But that's been my only real complaint so far, even though it's a significant one.

I do agree that it's a program mostly for those with easy access to Southern California who are interested in and can attend the events, which is really the crux of the membership. In looking at what the program offers, I think it would be pretty silly for anyone else to join, other than those in the Orlando area, since they do have some events there as well. A friend who lives in Sacramento asked me about it, and I told her that it probably wouldn't be worth it for her. If she wanted the magazines, she could just buy those. I can't really imagine anyone joining just to be able to buy the exclusive merchandise.

I did read an interesting complaint from an Orlando member. There was a recent announcement about another shopping event at Mickey's of Glendale (at WDI), and someone complained that they didn't have those sorts of events in Orlando. Ummm, yeah, that's because WDI is based here. There's also the Studios tour that's offered (we got in last year, when it was still free), and people not in So Cal complained about that as well, but they can't very well offer the tour in a place where the studio is not actually located.

Like with everything else, people need to be aware of what's being offered before they sign up. Most of the people I know aren't members because the perqs either don't work for them or aren't interesting to them.

KarenW2
08-18-2010, 11:50 PM
I can't believe what they did tonite!! It was posted on Facebook and I didn't understand what the people were talking about, until someone posted a link to the page in question.

Regarding the tickets for the D23 Expo that go on sale tomorrow - we've known for quite some time that the tickets go on sale tomorrow and how much they were going to be approximately, but some time today/tonite, they added a page I couldn't find without going from the link posted on Facebook. There are now *2* separate ticket PACKAGE deals going up tomorrow as well!!

For "Members Only", there is a ticket package for $500, limited to *250* tickets and another one for $1,000.00, limited to *50* with various perqs, like reserved seating to the different venues.

If I want to purchase one of these packages, it means my hubby now needs a membership, which isn't a problem, I'd sign him up for the $35 Silver membership (we only want one magazine!), but if I remember correctly, when I originally signed up for my Charter Membership last year, they weren't able to give me a membership number at the same time, right??

I NEED to be able to have my hubby with me, since I'm in a wheelchair and I need him to push me, but if they don't give me the membership number when I buy it, how do I put it into the ticket form tomorrow, if I don't know what it is??!

I really wish they had a phone number, so you could call and talk to a human, or at least someone available via email, to find out more about this before they open up the ticket sales tomorrow!

Also, why did they basically wait til nearly the last moment to spring these 2 packages on us??!!

currence
08-19-2010, 07:02 AM
I had a similar problem with the D23 scavenger hunt. It's $50 members and $75 non-members. Membership costs $35 so since I knew I wanted to play, I figured I would pay $10 (effectively) and get a membership for a year. Nope.

I had read online about the problems renewing online taking forever so figured, no problem, I would stop by the Disney Store over the weekend before registration opened and by a membership there. Nope. They don't sell memberships there anymore. What? Because it takes up so much space? Oh, probably because no one was buying them. But if it's impossible to buy, they will sell even less.

The cast member thought that they still sold memberships at Disneyland/World of Disney but driving to Disneyland wasn't in my plans for that weekend. Then I thought I would try to buy online to see if they did give membership numbers immediately. I don't have an answer for you because when registration opened the Disneystore website was down for maintenance. Grr. So I paid my $75 non-member fee and sent them an email asking if I could get $25 back if I bought a membership after the fact. I got a canned response that didn't help and dropped the issue. It did not inspire me to join.

cstephens
08-19-2010, 07:27 AM
Regarding the tickets for the D23 Expo that go on sale tomorrow - we've known for quite some time that the tickets go on sale tomorrow and how much they were going to be approximately, but some time today/tonite, they added a page I couldn't find without going from the link posted on Facebook. There are now *2* separate ticket PACKAGE deals going up tomorrow as well!!

Yep, D23 tweeted about the packages yesterday, and AVP wrote about them as well (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=152276).